April 19, 2014 | 1803 users online

Lipstick - Rimmel - Lasting Finish - Drop of Sherry

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2012 12:52:00 AM More reviews by DLYNN

This is the only color that I never get sick of --- a go-to color for all seasons that makes me neglect almost all other lipsticks in my collection --- and with good reason. If there's such a thing as a lip color that can be all things to all people, this comes really, really close. It goes with anything and is appropriate for all occasions.

The first time I applied this shade it was so different from what I was used to seeing --- at that time Avon's Ultra Color Rich "Cozy Mauve" --- that I didn't know what to make of it. But it didn't take long before I realized that what was "different" is that it offered everything those other lip colors never quite become: it's reddish, coral, rosy, pink and mauve all wrapped up into one. It has a faint coppery sheen to it, without any chunks of glitter. As amazing as the color itself, is the feel. Rimmel's Lasting Finish line, particularly the pearl/satin shades, offers an ultra silky, soothing-as-lip-balm feel with the lasting power that most lipsticks that feel moisturizing fail to deliver.

My only concern with "Drop of Sherry" is that the color is no longer offered in any drugstore, Target or Walmart that carries the Rimmel line in my area as of this date. The Rimmel lipstick line is presently heavy on the "Moisture Renew" formula in the bulky, square purple tubes. Those don't offer much more moisture than the original "Lasting Finish" formula yet slip off all that faster (in my experience the faster a lipstick slips off the more drying it actually tends to be no matter how they initially feel). Anyhow, the one color I tried in Rimmel's Moisture Renew line, "Latino", didn't look anything like it did in the tube when I applied it --- it went on much paler with a frosty white sheen --- which makes me wonder why Rimmel is encroaching on the higher-quality "Lasting Finish" product line that was already about as close to perfection as a drugstore cosmetic line can get.

There are only about five lip colors that I've been hugely disappointed to see discontinued from Revlon and others over the years and this, Rimmel's "Drop of Sherry" (#58), is in my top three. If you, too, are a fan, let Rimmel and your favorite retail store managers know that you want to see this shade back on the shelf!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2011 2:43:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

strange crazy good kind of colour, and VERY hard to describe. Definitely an "English Rose" kind of look. Let's call it a rose, but one that is deep enough to be classed with the berry tones, yet warm enough that I can wear it. I'm around a NC20 or warm toned pale skinned redhead.

This is almost cool toned on me. At first I was going to return it. It seemed to have a true fuschia pink cast to it, and the shimmer is silvery.

BUT

then after 20 minutes it was looking like a lovely rose shade, and like nothing else I own. It warmed up enough that it looked really good on me. My lips didn't stand out like they would if I wore a blue red or a blue pink. They looked natural only better.

But it isn't exactly a MLBB colour. It's not a nude, and I wouldn't put it with the brown toned pinks but it's extremely wearable.

And comfortable on the lips. Mine are dry and flaky, so the fact that this feels moisturizing is another plus.

Leaves a nice stain as it wears off. Wear time is medium, average, neither long (in spite of the name) or short.

It's going in my permanent collection.

I hate ugly lipstick tubes, and this is ugly, but the lipstick itself is worth putting up with the packaging.

UPDATED to add: I tried the Kate lipstick line from Rimmel, and they gave me a rash, but this one never has.

I hope they keep the old formulation going here, the formula and the colour are terrific.

This remains a go to lipstick when I want a warm rosy berry toned red that suits my warm but pale redhead style skin. It and Nectarine by Estee Lauder are reds that look red but never shocking on my face. Kind of a quiet red.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2011 11:45:00 AM More reviews by RosePeacock

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I got mine from the pound shop (like all of my Rimmel lipsticks - a great source!) Drop of Sherry would work well as a MLBB shade for those of you with tan/medium skin tones. I think I'm a bit too pale for it. Despite this it still manages to look pretty if I apply a very light layer. I'm glad I gave it a go, but I wouldn't buy this lipstick again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2011 4:23:00 PM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One of my most favorite lipsticks, ever. The color is perfect on me, seems like a great medium complected neutral "my lips but better" color (for me, who is a olive NC 30/C3) that goes with everything I wear, and my coloring. A no-brainer type lipstick for those of us medium toned and more on the olive-yellow side. I'd say it's a medium neutral coral rose color with a hint of bronze in it, shimmer formula. It stays on well during the day too, and doesn't dry out my lips. I don't even think the tube cost me $7 and it's lasted me over a year. I bought this last year in Boston on vacation, and it's still around. Love. I hope they always have this color.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 10:46:00 PM More reviews by Spamstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Walgreens had a huge sale on Rimmel and I had a coupon stash so I loaded up on their products. It's a good thing I got stuff so cheaply because most of it (besides one lipstick and the mascara) didn't work for me.

This color looked so pretty in the package, but it made me look like a hooker when I wore it during the day. It almost had a clown color to it. It had poor lasting quality and it gave my lips a dry flakiness over the course of the day. This might be pretty if your coloring is different or maybe if I had been wearing something special to showcase this color.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by Layni1006

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I found this in a clearance bin for fifty cents, but it is not a color I would have thought to try otherwise. Now I really like it as a "statement lip." It was also my first Rimmel lipstick, and I have since bought two more. I like the smell; it is kind of a spiced fruit fragrance. It applies very evenly, with buildable coverage, but I have to apply it over a lip balm or the shimmer settles into my lip lines. Swatched, it looks like a cool berry color, but it sort of warms on my lips. The packaging is a little cheesy, but I can live with that.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by xinyishu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I normally go for cream lip color, but this one is so nice, even though it has shimmer, but the shimmer looks very subtle. It is a great everyday red lip color. And I am always a fun of the consistency of Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick. I own 5 of them.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 9:36:00 AM More reviews by missichicki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A beautiful shiny rosey pink. You can wear this all day and it keeps your lips moisturized! This shade is so flattering to my complexion I can wear this on days when I'm wearing no other mu. So glad I bought this:)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by Thugluvgrl187

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am so glad I purchased this! I love this color so much! It is super pretty and shimmery. This color is great to wear with natural eyes!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Zanita27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This color is like a mix between, reddish rose. Its shimmery and if you apply too much, it can look very metallic. It looks very pretty on, and definatly makes your lips stand out. My only gripe is that when this fades, the shimmer is left and it can be a little overwhelming. Overall, its still a very pretty color.