August 22, 2014 | 1975 users online

Lips - TheBalm - Stainiac

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by RachelEDNC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am on my 4th bottle of this stuff. I actually don't use it for lips, as it is a bit drying. I love it on my cheeks! The stuff is soo easy to blend and it takes juuust long enough to set that you have a chance to work with the product before it "stains." I find it is pretty long lasting. I put it on in the morning and don't look like a ghost by 5 PM that day. I would probably need a touch up for evening if I were going somewhere, but I think that is true with most makeup.

My one gripe with this is the product comes in a tube with wand and it is kind of difficult to get the remains of the product out. I generally can bang the tube on the counter and release the product. When it gets really low, I stick it in the microwave (minus the cap) for just 1-2 seconds. Heating seems to liquify it enough that I can then shake the excess product to a more reachable place for the wand. Maybe I am destroying the formula, but it seems to be fine after this. Also, don't microwave longer or the bottle will melt (TRUST ME!)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2013 6:02:00 AM More reviews by moreyuna

I love it! I bought prom queen shade so I though it will be a little pinkish, but it goes a hint of sheer red. The staying power last for the next 6 hours, but this product tends to make my lips more drier, so I have to put some lip balm or lip base before apply stainiac.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/13/2013 12:22:00 AM More reviews by alleeyanah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

For some reason the tint isn't as long-lasting and vivid as I thought it would be on my lips however I just LOVE how it looks on my cheeks! I love make-up that just makes you look naturally pretty and this definitely gives that natural blush. I also love how the color is buildable so if you want subtle cheeks just dab a little and if you want IN-YOUR-FACE-IM-BLUSHING you can dab a lot hahaha. Love it!! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2013 5:11:00 PM More reviews by gabiiricooo

Being the owner of all three gorgeous shades of theBalm's Stainiac lip stain, I can certainly say this product is well-worth the price. These stains are a pleasure to work with since they are in an aloe-base. Their gel-like consistency lends itself to easy blending on the cheeks but also helps prevent your lips from looking dehydrated.
Beauty Queen is a gorgeous berry-pinky color and is by far my favorite. It is perfect for those who enjoy the oxblood-red color but don't want to commit to such a bold lipstick (which can be messy and tricky). It also looks lovely on the cheeks.
Prom Queen is a more reddish pink color. It is a bit bolder than Beauty Queen on the lips making it perfect for the summer time.
If you're a fan of coral, Homecoming Queen is the stain for you! Despite its intimidating bright orange color in the packaging, it blends with the pigmentation of your lips to create a bright coral color.
Overall, the lasting power on these stains is pretty great. They wear beautifully and don't get patchy or awkward looking during the day.
In terms of scent and taste, they are not necessarily the most pleasant. The aloe makes them smell a bit like baby wipes and taste quite bitter. Regardless, the scent and taste are very tolerable and I don't find them to be a turn-off at all.

There you have it! If you're looking for a higher-end lip stain, this might be the one!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 5:31:00 PM More reviews by AUSSIEMUMMA

Stainiac is my favourite lip stain. It comes in three pretty, quite natural-looking shades. It has slightly buildable colour, doesn't dry out my lips and stays on a really long
time. I will be buying Stainiac for life!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by shelbysahara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I like the natural look of this stain, and it isn't drying. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much staining, and that's the wheel point of a lip stain. Fades very quickly. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 3:23:00 AM More reviews by avawalton

lots of people here have said this product is drying on the lips and does not have enough tint.
i disagree, but it depends on what you are looking for.

first - i have medium-dark olive toned skin with yellow undertones. so, i'm probably darker than the majority of reviewers here.
even so - this product DOES SHOW UP and nicely.

i have been using "Beauty Queen" since about 2008. Before that i used Benetint. i'm a permanent convert unless they discontinue Stainiac.

Things to know:
this is NOT a pigment - it is a TINT or stain (a true one). it's not a super-sticky, super-matte, semi-perm "long-lasting" liquid or creme pigment like many lip/cheek stains. it is water-based with a gel-like in texture.
it is just a bit "sticky" when compared to a pure liquid product like Benetint but it "dissolves" into the skin on contact and, in my opinion, is superior to a liquid. there is no streaking.
there is no need to hurriedly apply and blend it in order to avoid a hard edge and uneven tint (something that can happen with Benetint)
it does "layer" (to an extent) - ie, if you put on a little you get a little tint. if you put on more, you get a little more tint, etc. you can achieve the just-barely "sun-kissed" look or you can push it to the "i just drank a whole bottle of wine" look.

personally, i love that "flushed" look (not full-on alcoholic, but almost there). it's the same effect i get naturally by drinking a glass or two of wine (i'm part Asian). people seem to notice (and for whatever reason, men in particular seem to respond to that kind of flush - go figure...)

So for those of you looking for a TINT/STAIN that is light-weight and NATURAL-appearing i do not think that you will be disappointed.
if you are actually looking for something with high impact color or a strong hue or something with color that can be easily gradated, then you probably want a creme or powder. Even Benetint can get pretty dark with enough layers. Stainiac doesn't go into "goth" territory.
it's stays in "young girl flush" territory (and who doesn't want that?). not sure if i can say this here, but it makes one look like they just had a VERY good time (if you get my meaning).

as for longevity: not the best on the lips (not the worst) - just "pretty good". it lasts until you eat, drink or lick your lips a few times. on the cheeks - GREAT longevity (IMO anyway; when i apply to my cheeks it stays until i wash my face or i start crying or sweating profusely --- i have combination to oily skin)

LOVE IT. Worth the price (when you consider other products that are similar).

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2012 9:27:00 AM More reviews by ksasi04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this stain. It looks pretty natural, but it fades after a little while so you have to keep applying it throughout the day. Also, use a lip balm with it, since most stains tend to be rather drying.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2012 2:16:00 AM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

theBalm's Stainiac is a gel tint for cheeks and lips. Three shades are available, I have Beauty Queen, described by theBalm as a sheer berry pink. This shade is considered to be a dupe of Benefit's BeneTint. theBalm is a San Francisco based, vintage themed brand known for it's high quality products with suggestive, sexy, or quirky names. I got this cheek and lip tint in a swap from my friend Mariah who got it in a Birchbox a couple months ago. I'm so glad that she sent me this product because I was really jealous of everyone know got it in their Birchbox. The full size of this product contains .3fl oz for $17. I have a .04fl oz deluxe sample. As far as I know theBalm can only be bought online at the brand's website, and very frequently on Haute Look, but on the rare occasion you can find a few products at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. theBalm is a cruelty free brand. This product was made in the USA.
theBalm's Stainiac comes packaged like a lip gloss. A clear plastic tube with a grey plastic cap. The name of the product is written on the front of the tube in grey lettering. Some company info and a short warning can be found on the back. Stainiac has a doe foot application that makes applying this product to the lips very convenient, but not so much on the cheeks. Some may not be comfortable using the doe foot applicator on both the face and lips due to potential contamination. I don't really care, mainly because this is a sample size.
Application for the lips is no different from any gloss, so I won't explain. For the cheeks, I dot the product on with the applicator, just two little dabs, then blend in with my fingers. This cheek tint is really blendable, in fact theBalm describes the formula as water based, saying that its "designed to give you more time before the stain sets" helping you avoid the "dreaded streaks that most tints leaves behind". Oh yes, those streaks. They plague my less than smooth cheeks. This tint is in fact streak free. I'm pretty sure that's miraculous.
While I greatly appreciate the longer dry time on the cheeks, it's really, really annoying on the lips. Beauty Queen is really sticky and uncomfortable on the lips. Then it dries down...and dries out, for extra discomfort. All the downsides of a lip stain. At least it's comfortable, lightweight, and non drying on the cheeks. I get a fairly average two hours of wear from this lip stain, and a full days worth of color as a cheek stain.
Beauty Queen is a very sheer berry toned pinkish red. Very Sheer. It looks good on my already pigmented lips, but on my naturally flushed pink cheeks it barely shows up at all. I can detect a slight tint, but no real color payoff. I guess that's great if I'm going for a very natural look, but I'd really prefer it to show up more. I feel like it's a little pointless to apply it if it's nearly the exact same color as my perpetually rosy cheeks. So is Beauty Queen a dupe for the much more expensive Benetint? No. They're similar, but Beauty Queen is is cooler, pinker, and believe it or not, more pigmented than Benetint, at least from what I can see in swatches. I haven't tried Benetint aside from swatching it at Sephora.
I like theBalm's Stainiac in Beauty Queen but it's not working out for me quite as well as I had hoped. Its a good product, but just a little..unbalanced? The texture is good for cheeks but not lips. Pigmentation is better suited for lips not cheeks. See what I mean? It just isn't quite there, a problem that many multi-use products suffer from. Lasting power is decent across the board though. I wouldn't purchase a full size tube of theBalm's Stainiac in Beauty Queen, but I'm really glad I got a chance to try it, my curiosity never would've been satisfied otherwise. This product is probably better suited to those with less pigmented lips and cheeks.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2012 10:19:00 PM More reviews by audreys510

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product makes my lips go numb instantly, as if Novocain was injected into my lips. Maybe this is due to a plumping ingredient in the product that just doesn't work well with me? I really do love this color on the lips, though, which saddens me because the numbing sensation is hard to overlook. I'm fairly pale. Not alabaster, but lighter than most. This product has a better color payoff than Benetint by Benefit, which is great for the lips, but it looks feverish on my cheeks even with the smallest amount. If you're very pale, I'd suggest going with Benetint because it won't have the tendency to make you look sickly. The application of the product is great as well-the gel formula and doe foot applicator are superior to the packaging of Benetint. Just my opinions. Hope it helps. ľA