Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

3.2

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract

on 3/30/2015 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

this was my first primer and i used to adore it but now i think it's kind of mediocre - has that temporary filled in pore effect because of the silicones, but its claim of oil free is weird considering it feels super oily. never noticed a difference with my foundation wear time with it on, though.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have two mini versions of this primer and I do love it. it glides on the skin like butter, it keeps my makeup on all day, and it blurs my pores. it does exactly what a primer is supposed to do. the only dislike I have with it is the price. I feel like its way too expensive for a simple primer.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Thank goodness I only received a sample because this stuff irritated the mess out of my skin. The texture feels somewhat greasy and its best applied using a patting motion. I didn't start feeling a itchy sensation till the 5th hour of wear. As far as diffusing my enlarged pores...it looked great for the first few hours but then not only did my face look like one big enlarged pore but my skin looked as if it took a dip in a big vat of oil. Not a pretty look at all. For me it just wasn't worth it.

I got a sample of this from Sephora. My only other primer experience is Laura Mercier Foundation primer which does absolutely nothing. This primer does fill the small pores in my nose and I thought it did wonders for that. However I did not like how it dries out my cheeks and I look crepey and dry. I'm going to try using this on my nose only tomorrow and see how it goes.

on 3/15/2015 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

i find that this primer has an oily residue which is really not good for someone who has oily skin. it does prep my face and make the foundation application easier but my face feels oily and slippery afterwards. I also don't think this primer is worth its price. I like the Pore-fessional foundation primer better because it is matte and powder so it helps absorb.

Cannot live w/o this. The only face primer to use! Been my go to for years & when tempted with other brands to try theirs. They fail. So worth the money, it's an investment.

on 3/9/2015 9:40:00 AM

So far I have not bought a full size product, but I have used several generous sample/travel sizes of this. I have combination skin; my main concern is my t-zone, especially my nose which is always red and shiny (flattering, I know). For me, this primer does make a difference. It's subtle, but instead of melting off my t-zone and nose, my foundation stays put for the day with this. For reference, I use ysl touche eclat foundation or the Dior skin nude - both of which have a beautiful finish but poor lasting power on my skin without primer. As others have said, this product has a very siliconey feel which does concern me slightly. But it gives a nice blurred effect to the skin, and my skin hasn't reacted to it. I don't think that this product makes enough of a difference to wear alone without foundation. I will buy a full sized version of this primer, but I am still looking for something better.

on 3/9/2015 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was so ecstatic to try this product and I wore it for almost a year before I realized it was the cause of my breakouts, rashes, and horrible itching on my cheek and chin area. It went from mild acne to red, bumpy flare ups that would leave rough patches all over my face. I even ended up going to the doctor a couple of times because I didn't know why my skin was breaking out in rashes so bad. My doctor thought it was eczema and even started treating me with creams. I started using a sample of the urban decay pore less face primer recently to try it out and I noticed instantly my flare ups stopped. I then figured out the smash box primer was the culprit!' It might work well for others but absolutely is not for me.

I am through drinking the Kool Aid on this one. Over a couple of years I went through several samples of this, and almost 2 years ago I finally bought a full-size that I am now almost out of. My faith in it has just gone down gradually because when I need it to perform it just....doesn't. At first I used to use primers only for "big night out" makeup....i.e. by the time you've had a few cocktails you cease to care too much about your foundation, and you basically forget about it. Well, it's easy under those circumstances. However, a couple times I've tried putting this on in the early a.m. when I had, like, a presentation to give at 4 p.m. So I really wanted to look fresh near the end of the day and I wanted my makeup to look just as it had in the morning when I applied it. Not like I'd gone greasy and everything was wearing off. And I have found over repeated trials under different temperature and skin conditions, it does not help my skin hold onto foundation. It just makes no appreciable difference. I am frustrated and wish I could find a primer that works. I have a feeling it is not the fault of the Smashbox product but just silicone based primers in general that are not working for me.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I have two samples of this product and I used to use this everyday but now I don't. I loved the silkiness and how it glided on but I know it was silicone which I'm not a huge fan of. The elf dupe is cheaper but has more harmful ingredients. I have never broken out from this primer which I've heard has happened to some. I can tell that my foundation stays on a bit longer than without it. It also seems to glide on like silk with applying with this primer underneath. Mixed feelings but it's good primer.

Popular Primer/ Correctors