September 2, 2014 | 1310 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Roche Posay - Effaclar K

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2014 6:57:00 AM More reviews by froffee

Effaclar K is a product I always have to hand. It's inexpensive for such an effective skin treatment and I find that the tube contains a decent amount of product - I only need a small amount for each application as it spreads thinly and evenly. The smell is not unpleasant but is rather chemical-y...I would prefer it with no fragrance.
I have found that it helps to diminish the appearance of my milia and gives me smoother looking skin. I always apply sunscreen over the top and would avoid using this if I were travelling to a hot climate, for example, as the gentle exfoliating ingredients will sensitise skin over time.
I am keen to try more LRP products!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2014 12:09:00 PM More reviews by ppetya3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After glowing endorsements from Lisa Eldridge, this has become a cult product. I have used it for 10 years and love it until I realised that the harsh ingredients (which do help clear your acne) also cause sun sensitivity and pigmentation - not something you want to be left with.
Don't use this in the spring and summer and don't use it for more than 2-3 months at a time. Wear a sunscreen.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2014 1:32:00 PM More reviews by gee1ny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was on a break from my benzoyl peroxide treatment and remembered that I bought this some time ago and gave it another go. The first time I tried it I didn't think it was effective but from persistent use it started working on my acne. It took about a little over a week for my smaller blemishes to disappear, and bigger ones smaller in size. I would recommend this if you have sensitive skin since salicylic acid is milder than benzoyl peroxide and if have light to moderate acne. If your acne is more severe or your skin can handle the dryness of benzoyl peroxide I would try the DUO instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 12:42:00 AM More reviews by cboylove

This is an amazing product, it has really helped keep my acne under control even around my most troublesome beard area. This formula contains salicylic acid, a retinol ester, and LHA. All of those ingredients help gently keep pores clear and helps avoid congestion. My skin is pretty tough so I usually apply this under retin a micro and my skin hasn't been clearer since I was on accutane. It's a bit pricey but I find it's worth it for controlling acne and being gentle on the skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2014 10:38:00 PM More reviews by jazzano

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I never had much acne through my teen years, but in my last year of university my skin really began to suffer. I had breakouts all the time and all my old remedies didn't seem to help any more.
I bought this in a pack with a sample size Effaclar gel and LRP sunscreen. My skin is combination and I found it very hard to find products that agreed with my whole face. This claimed to be for "oily sensitive skin" so I thought I'd try it.
From my first use my skin felt better. More balanced and brighter. My makeup stayed on better too!
After 2 weeks of use my skin is MUCH clearer and I have had only a few whiteheads, no pimples. I still need to put a little oil free moisturizer on my nose (very dry, bordering on eczema) to keep it from flaking, but the blackheads I have there are noticeably less.
I'm not thrilled with the price tag and I hate the metal tube because I feel like there's product stuck in places I can't squeeze it out of. However, I will use this from now on! HG!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2013 3:25:00 PM More reviews by stlawrenceriver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My usual product for skin rejuvenation and acne battling is the Ciciabo cream from Bioderma, which had worked well so far.
I decided to venture out and try this one since it was on sale, and is a similar price to Bioderma products.
I have now been using Effeclar K for about a month, and am confident enough to say that I like it. There is never a secret formula or magic trick for making skin look airbrushed, but this product helps me with the little things, which in turn make the overall picture nicer.
It has reduced my blackheads, particularly around my nose, it obliterates white heads, and it evens tone by lifting previous acne scars. It DOES NOT work miracles on full blown zits. It does help reduce them, but not overnight, and I had not purchased the product expecting it would help in this area.

It does not smell like anything strong to me, just a light medicinal scent. The texture is milky and sticky. Not moisturizing enough for any skin. Even oily skinned individuals will want to overlay a light moisturizer after using this. The packaging is fine. I store it upside down, since the pressure tends to leak product out of the nozzle after use.

Overall, it is a nice product which I will repurchase. I will not completely trade out my Bioderma for this, but will likely only use Effaclar when needed, as the acid can be strong for my delicate skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2013 9:20:00 AM More reviews by calooza

I was finishing a tube of the effaclar duo, with really good results, and i decided to try effaclar k. This one seems more suitable for my skin problems, as my acne is mostly comedonal, and when i have inflammatory acne, it's because of the comedones that get inflamed.

My problem areas are my chin, jaw line and lower cheeks. Effaclar Duo really helped with my blackheads, my pores, and it evened out my skintone very well. Also, it treated my comedones and inflamed pimples for the most part. I experience a lot less breakouts, and my oily skin is more balanced.

Effaclar K is targeted for congested oily skin, with comedonal acne. It has 1.5% of salycilic acid (effaclar duo has 0.5%). Although it's suppose to prevent acne, rather that treat it, i find it very effective at getting rid of pimples.

I started to use it when i was experiencing a few breakouts and whiteheads on my jaw line, and it was visibly more effective at treating inflammatory acne and closed comedones than effaclar duo, and the results were faster... It really works well with my skin, i also notice my hyperpigmentation less visible. I'm impressed. I didn't got this results with effaclar duo, although it worked well to me.

I use it all over my face at night (before moisturizer), and just on my problem areas in the morning. So far so good.

I didn't experience any breakouts from this, or any irritation whatsoever (so far). I like the packaging. It's a metallic tube with a tiny pointed opening, which allows to use the right amount of product. The smell is weird (effaclar duo has a pleasant smell), like chemical smell, but once applied it's gone. I paid less than 15 euros for a 30ml tube, it's not cheap, but it's worth the money.

UPDATE (1) Oct2013: Oh-oh... I started to noticing an increase of clogged pores on my left cheek. Normally it doesn't spread all around it, just on my jaw line, and my jaw line is clean at this point, which makes me believe that the way i'm applying Effaclar K has something to do with this.
I started to applying a bigger amount of product on my left cheek, because i had active acne there, and i thought this way it would cure it faster. Before, i was only using a small amount, and the results were good. I'm now experimenting using just again a small amount and spread it all over my face like a moisturizer. I'll be updating if i notice any difference.

Also, i notice that when i wet my face in the morning, it seems like i have some kind of residue on my skin, which doesn't dissolve with the water. Maybe it has also something to do with my clogged pores :-/

UPDATE (2): Using just a little bit of product and spread it all over my face actually got my clogged pores a lot better, and i'm only doing it for a couple of days. Also, i apply my clinique moisturiser right after (sometimes i mix the two), which made that wierd feeling in the morning to go away. I'm ok with this product again, but when i finish it, i'm not going to buy it again because of it's texture (it's a little thick, and leaves skin residue if i let it sink in before moisturizer - probably due to the CETYL ALCOHOL - Triacneal also has it, and it breaks me out) and it can contribute easily for increasing my clogged pores. :/ My next try will be Ducray Keracnyl Creme Regulatrice.

UPDATE (3): After a couple of weeks with breakouts all over my left cheek, i decided to take a break from effaclar k, and my breakouts are a lot better. Oh well, another fail! I'm going to try Bioderma, since it doesn't have alcohol on their products, and ingredients like Cetyl Alcohol and CETEARYL ALCOHOL, like Avene, LA Roche Posay and Ducray have, and it's what i believe it's breaking me out!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by NoWonder

I have combunation skin with the most problematic area on T zone. This cream helps me to support it in good condition and prevents new break outs and blocked pores. Though, it tends to be aggressive if you use it on a daily basis. I use it only as my night care for T zone (for the rest I use a different moisturizer) several times a week.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2013 8:56:00 AM More reviews by ipecik

This product gave me a horrible red mustache (because I have put it on my upper lip area) though no allergic reactions on the forehead. Though recovered a few hours later I will never use it again.

Helps with large pores on the nose though

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2013 1:47:00 AM More reviews by jlin0913

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This tube Actually lasted quite a while. As much as i wanted this cream to work, i dont think it did anything for my skin. I bought this for $20 cdn but i think it costs way more in stores. Will not repurchase.