October 25, 2014 | 876 users online

Loose Powders - Caron - Classic Formula loose powder

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by zephir

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a review for the transparent powder. Like another reviewer stated, Caron has two formulations: the classic one, which is for combination/oily skin, and transparent, which is for normal/dry/sensitive skin. I got it in "Translucide" which is the most popular shade in the transparent line. It looks alarmingly pink (I have very strong yellow undertones in my skin), but looks gorgeously natural.

I've been lemming this ever since I read about it here on MUA, but unfortunately Diane from the Caron boutique in NYC warned against shipping to Canada because of the high customs fees. Luckily, my sister was in Paris recently and was kind enough to go out of her way to pick me up some of this powder. It came to about $60 CDN(45 euro). I gave this product 3 lippies for price-while the initial cost is high, it is a whopping 30g!! MAC powders are only 8-10g and cost close to $30...so the Caron powder works out to only about 2/3 of the price of MAC, for a significantly better product!

The packaging is beautiful-the powder is housed in a gold colored container with a pop off lid. Inside that is a screw off lid, which means it's great for travel! There is no built in sifter. Instead, Caron includes a separate one. How I use it is I dab a powder brush in the powder, then run it across the separate sifter, allowing any extra powder to fall back into the container. This gives me the perfect amount of product to gently brush across my face. The powder puff included is useless for me.

I liked the vintage feel of the scent, but be warned, it is quite strong. I took the lid off and left it open for a few weeks, covered with a piece of tissue paper. The smell is now lovely, and much more subtle.

This hasn't irritated or broken me out at all. It is dermatologist recommended in France, and gives me a beautiful, soft, velvety finish over my makeup. It looks natural and wears for hours. I used to blot about 5-6 hours into my day, but I can now skip that. Rebuy forever for me!

Ingredients (paraben free, yay!!): talc, magnesium carbonate, magnesium myristate, zinc stearate, diisopropyl sebacate, fragrance, iron oxides, ultramarines, alumina, citronellol, geraniol, linalool, hydroxycitronellal, eugenol, cinnamyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, benzyl benzoate, citral evernia prunastri (oakmoss) extract

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by NoirAngelx

This is a wonderful product that every woman should have on her boudoir. Caron powders have been around for years and have made countless women look and feel glamorous. With this in mind, I knew I had to try it. Fortunately enough, I live close to the Caron Boutique in NYC, and I was able to test all these beautiful powders for myself. It is truly a hidden gem, tucked neatly away in the Phyto Universe salon on Lexington Avenue.

The 'Classique' formula powders are geared towards those that are normal or combination/oily, while the 'Transparente' powders are geared towards those that are normal/dry. The Classique powders are matte, have more coverage and feel denser, while the Trasnsparente ones are lighter, fluffier, and have subtle microfine shimmer particles, not detectable on the face, but enough to give a glow. I was told that the correct way to apply the Classique powder was to press the powder onto the face with a puff, and then knock off the excess with a kabuki brush. By itself, the product will give light-medium coverage, similar to that of a mineral foundation. Since I have quite a bit of discoloration and like a completely flawless finish, I do prefer to dust this lightly on top of my MUFE Mat Velvet + foundation, and this combo is particularly exceptional at controlling oil on my combination/oily skin. This contains ingredients such as magnesium carbonate and kaolin for extra absorbency on oily skin. Since this product was created before the invention of silicones, it does not have any in its ingredients.

The color I own is in 'Madame', which is a fair beige pinky color, suitable for MAC NC/NW 15. It is also quite fragranced, with the scent of Bulgarian rose which I find very pleasant. All in all, I highly recommend this to anyone that loves to finish off her look with a matte, finely-milled loose powder to give a soft-focus look.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2011 2:12:00 AM More reviews by sammin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Firstly, I'd like to thank Sicely24 for her very helpful review on this product. I based my own purchase on her extensive colour reference list, since there are no Caron counters here in Canada. I have the loose powder in Peau Ambree, and it is the perfect colour for my MAC NC30-35, Nars Sante Fe, MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Medium Dark complexion. I don't mind the scent, and it disappears after a while anyway.

One warning -- it is easy to overapply this powder, but a heavy hand is easy to fix, because the powder is so finely milled. Because the powder is so fine, it's hard to look cakey, provided that your face is moisturized properly before application. No other loose powder makes my complexion look so smooth and radiant, as if I wasn't wearing anything at all. I use this as a setting powder over tinted moisturizer / sunblock, or alone, without oxidation of any kind. I bought mine on ebay for a reasonable price, and you get alot of product, so this will last me a while. A real luxury and highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2010 6:36:00 AM More reviews by mariaantonella

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Hi, i love mot caron product, especially the loose powder, it i fabulous! does anyone knows about the shade "trent ans", could anyone describe it somehow? i can't get it in London, and it is the only one i did not try, before to make my decisions.... many thanks Antonella

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2010 8:24:00 AM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I came across this powder accidentally while reading reviews for Caron perfumes. As the reviewers before me seemed to have the same skin problems that I have (breakouts and sensitive skin) and the powder worked for them I decided to do some research. I was also in need of a new loose powder as the one I was currently using is from Prescriptives and discontinued. When I read that this powder was recommended by the French Medical Association for problem skin types I decided to purchase it.

I purchased this powder in two shades as I could only get it on line. I am a NC44/45 with lighter skin in winter months so I chose by looking at the swatches. The 3 shades recommended to women of color are Creole, Andalouse and Radieuse. I choose Andalouse and Radieuse. There is not such a big difference in the two colors but I am currently using Andalouse as it is a bit more golden/yellow and good for my yellow undertones. I will keep the Radieuse as it will be good for winter months. Creole is a darker color and would fit the skin tones of women with a bit of a darker complexion. There are only 3 shades for dark skin types but as the powder is so well formulated it blends and disappears into the skin so it should work for many different skin shades.

I love this powder so very much as it is so finely grained and it keeps my skin mat during the day. I have not experienced any allergic reactions. What I also like is the very small hint of rose aroma in the powder. Very feminine but not anything which would annoy anyone who does not like fragrance. This product really keeps my complexion looking good and I will continue to buy it. Great find for 2010!

The packaging is very pretty but I took 1 point off as the puff could have been a bit more though out. A bit of an old fashion standard puff which is useless for dispensing the powder on the face face as it dispenses way too much product. I use this with a brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2009 12:37:00 AM More reviews by Sicely24

I bought this powder in the shade Peau Ambree. Initially I wasn't sure if I should get Peau Ambree or Sable, it's difficult to judge the swatches on line. I consulted with Diane (Caron consultant) on the phone and she was very helpful!! She sent samples of different shades of the powder along with the powder I bought just so I can try it before I open the package...which was very helpful. Peau Ambree was just a tiny bit lighter than my skintone, very slight, but I prefer to be it to be lighter. After I evened all the powder out with a powder brush, the powder definitely evened out my skintone. Sable was a bit dark and it looked muddy on my skin.

Peau Ambree was perfect for my skin tone and I love that it is lightly scented like roses. I use it after I apply Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer in Nude.

My makeup stays fresh ALL day without oxidation or change of color.

For reference : Other powder and foundation shades I use:
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Foundation - NC35
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish powder - Medium Plus
Chantecaille -Loose powder in Ray
Chanel Teint Innocence - Beige
Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer - Nude

I bought also the peach swan down powder puff it's so cute! I got the small refillable powder compact that came with the tiny powder puff. I love everything I bought from Caron!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2007 2:10:00 PM More reviews by themandy

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow! I purchased this powder in Madame based on raves from many ladies on the boards. I am so glad I did! I have very pale, very oily skin. This powder applies like a dream and keeps the oilies at bay for hours. I do have to blot once during the day, but that is an improvement over any other foundation I've tried. The texture, scent and packaging are so luxurious. The Classic powder makes my skin look flawless, which it is far from! The color Madame is a perfect match for me. I am a MAC NW10-15 and Bobbi Brown Porcelain.

Not only is the powder amazing, so is the customer service. Diane was such a great help with choosing the right shade. She included lots of samples with my order so I didn't have to open the full size to see if the color worked for me. they will do exchanges (not sure about returns) on unopened powders. She also included samples of the primer and 3 perfumes.

This stuff takes some effort to get your hands on, but is worth the work and the price. I can't wait to try Caron's other products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2007 11:18:00 AM More reviews by MizLiz211

Oh yes, Caron's loose powder is *all that*! I have tried so many powders and foundations, trying to find The One that would subdue the oiliness of my complexion. So many promised, none delivered. After an hour or two, my face is shiny once again. Then I tried Caron Poudre Peau Fine in the classic formula. I got the shade called Noisette, a medium pink-toned color that perfectly matched my medium complexion*. I'm wearing the powder today, and I just checked myself in the mirror, because I usually need a touch-up right about now (I bought the sweet little portable loose powder compact, which comes with its own goosedown powder puff, for this purpose). Lo and behold - after 5 hours, I'm not shiny! And I'm not cakey-matte, either. I'm actually glowy! The icing on the cake is that the powder smells like N'Aimez Que Moi - my Holy Grail perfume! Ah, Caron. Is there anything you can't do?

*UPDATE: The shade "Noisette" is actually not right for me. I have just tried the warm-toned Sables and it's a much better match.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2005 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Bratt007

This beautiful, classic powder is really an undiscovered gem in the beauty marketplace. Perhaps that is part of its allure but in reality it is of the finest quality powder I have ever used. I had the pleasure of dining with PR representatives who told me the powder is also highly recommended by dermatologist in France. One other precious secret: There is a beautiful feathery puff you can buy separately that is divine!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2005 10:21:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Being a huge fan of the Caron translucent formula powders, I was eager to try the classic formula. The difference between the two is that with the translucent formula there is the tiniest bit of shimmer. When I say tiny I mean absolutely miniscule. The naked eye can barely detect it and it is nice to use over your foundation to set or even over bare skin to give you a little more polished look if you do not like to wear foundation. I have used the translucent formual for over a year and I have to say that it is the best quality I have ever tried and I've tried them all. The only one I would use if I could not get this would be Becca. So, back to the Caron....the classic formula is more of a foundation powder. There is no shimmer at all in this yet is is not dull or flat at all.It gives you coverage whereas the translucent does not. At first I resisted this formula. I had an image in my mind of an older woman with that chalky powdered look, lines galore and powder seeping into those lines. Nothing could be farther from the truth with this glorious stuff. The wonderful Caron SA Diane put some of the Caron primer on me and then proceeded to rub powder all over my face with a cotton ball till I looked like George Washinhgtons wig. I was initially horrified till she explained that this is the way to do it, to massage it gently into your pores and then buff off the excess with a brush. I had always just used a brush from the get go and I had never done it this way before. I was skeptical. I went outside with a mirror into the harsh sunlight and I could not believe it. My face looked amazing. So flawless and natural.Despite the way it was applied it felt weightless on my skin. Even when I've tried mineral make up, I feel the presence of something there but I felt nothing with this powder om my skin. How on earth could powder do this??? This is the most finely milled powder I've ever seen. It does have the scent of rose which I like despite usually hating rose scents. It lasts and lasts. I got a sample to "live with" for the week before committing to purchasing but I am completely sold on this. Today I experimented and misted my face with the Scott Barnes luminizing mist and it set my face beautifully. Even my boyfriend commented while we were outside walking around in the heat that my face looked so soft and beautiful today. The package insert states that both formuals contain pure mineral elements and they do appear to have moisturizing properties but they are far from the heavier mineral make ups that I have tried. I cannot rave enough about this product. It is $45 for a huge 30g (1 ounce) container. The container is beautiful, gold with an insert that makes it more travel friendly. I want to shout from the rooftops how flattering this is and what an undiscovered gem sits in this madison ave boutique.

37 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No