October 24, 2014 | 1525 users online

Eyes - Trish McEvoy - Base Essentials

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2009 4:36:00 PM More reviews by chanelmontes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in Vanilla and it is definitely an excellent eyeshadow base for never giving me a SINGLE crease in a span of 8-10 hours. The only gripe is that it can be drying and hard to blend, so I highly recommend moisturizing your eyelids really good beforehand and make sure you blend it right away. Also, you only need to dab on a little product before blending as too much would just look cakey and unnatural.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2009 7:14:00 PM More reviews by GeorgetteOrwell

Love This!!

This is an HG product here.

I have tried this products in several colors, all of which look wonderful without any shadow over them. It is not just the color which is pretty, but also the texture and coverage. My eyes, only better.

As a base, it works well. It is a little less effective under extreme conditions than UDPP, but it is also much less drying. I am not frequently under extreme conditions, and by extreme, I really do mean extreme, and I find the Trish base to be effective for keeping eye shadow and liner in place and true to color.

I use the applicator only to dab a tiny amount on the eyelid. A little goes a long way. I then use a concealer brush or a Trish laydown brush to smooth it over the eyelid. A finger will do in a pinch, and I used my finger for application for a long time, but then a Trish MA showed me that a brush gives me a quicker, more even application. If you don't like your results, use only a tiny amount and try a brush.

The packaging has undergone revisions. I thought my first tube, square, worked fine. My second tube, also square, looked identical on the outside, but it had a truly horrible applicator. The doe foot applicator lost most of its fuzzies, reducing it's use, and the product itself seemed a little clumpy. I have had no problem with tubes purchased since then. The round newer tubes are nicer looking, but they take up more room in a makeup case.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/1/2009 8:32:00 PM More reviews by paya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this on a whim. Always on the lookout for good e/s bases, I decided to give this a try. I was drawn to the range of colors for this base. As a woman of color, I find some e/s bases are too pale for my complexion. The TM bases have about 5-6 different shades to choose from. Overall, I think this is fine for someone who wants an all over base to even out skin tone in the eye area. It's a thicker base and if applied with a heavy hand will crease by the end of the day. My biggest complaint is that I've noticed my TFSI provides much a better color payoff for e/s and is less prone to creasing than the Trish base. Won't buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2008 12:53:00 AM More reviews by TMD1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used this product in vanilla as well as soft peach. I cannot live without it - it really is an essential in my makeup kit. It is the perfect quick pick-me-up on weekends when I don't want to wear makeup but need that little boost to look "fresh". Each shade/tone will give you a different look so, to others statements, if you want a 'whiter' base you may want to go with vanilla. I am fair skinned and soft peach blends in with my natural skin tone quite nicely.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2008 12:25:00 PM More reviews by NancyM

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I got this as a sample in some GWP in Bare. I have dark eyelids due to allergies and have deep set eyes so I'm always on the lookout for bases to even out my skin tone on my lids.

This stuff is so thick that it made my eye shadow look like it was caked on and all I did was put a light wash of TM Shell over it. I can't imagine what it would look like with a darker color.

No thanks. My cheap base from Ulta is better than this. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2008 9:07:00 PM More reviews by aconway86

I got this as a sample and had never used an eye shadow base before. This has completely transformed my eye makeup. It lasts all day with no creases. Also I was shocked at how much less shadow I needed to use and also how much more bold the colors were. My Christian Dior eye shadow which is sheer and metallic looks especially stunning . I apply it with a concealer brush and only a little bit is necessary, I am thrilled with how well this product works and definitely will be purchasing the full size when my sample runs out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2008 11:10:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried several primers and this one isn't bad. I like the smoothness of the application and it does help my shadow last. The problem I had with this, is the color selection. The Vanilla was too white with a green tone, the Sand was too blue pink, and the Bare was too dark and orange. In the little sample I had, the little bits that others talk about showed up within 12 hours - strange. I think the LMercier is very similar and in my opinion, a little better. The colors are more suited to me (I like Linen) and no little bits show up in the product. This is good, I just think the LM is better - however, it really irritated my eyes, so I'm back to MAC Bare Canvas, which I like very much.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2008 12:08:00 AM More reviews by aamna_601

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So far, so good. I only bought this today. It stayed on all day, didn't crease. It was kind of dull looking (not vibrant or skin colored) but then thats just a primer that exists in my fantasies and not in reality apparently. This is superior to MAC paint imo though, dior base, chanel base, and Lancome aquatique which ive tried. I havent tried Laura Mercier so I cant comment. However I wouldnt give this 5 lippies because: 1) slightly pale/unnatural color, 2) price is pretty high imo for a base thats not a major name brand, 3) packaging is like a cheapo physicians formula type of thing, for 25 bucks or whatever I shud get prettier and better functioning packaging!

If I find something better I will not repurchase this. However as of right now this is the best base Ive tried (and I dont like UDPP), so I will stick with it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2008 12:15:00 AM More reviews by KimB1

I have slighly oily eyelids which is on my short list of problems I have with cosmetics. I have tried quite a few eye bases, and so far this ranks pretty high. I have been using it for 1 week, with and without eyeshadow, and after about 8 hours to do I start to see a slight crease that needs touching up. I think that is pretty good. It also does a nice job evening out my eyelid tone. If it keeps performing as I hope it does, this will be a repurchase for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2008 5:24:00 PM More reviews by wendirr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been reading over the reviews and have read how some people have a problem with this product looking dry or crepey. I think I might be able to help. Several of the Trish makeup artists used this product on me and it looked great and my eyeshadow did not crease. However, when I tried applying it at home with my finger, it looked uneven, dry and terrible. I finally figured out that the makeup artists used a BRUSH to apply it, so I tried it that way. Wow, what a difference! I'm not sure why applying it with a brush makes such a difference, but it really does. So be sure to apply that way if you're using it for the first time or wanting to give it another chance. I use her large laydown brush. Also, it dries very quickly, so be quick when applying it.