The Body Shop paddle hair brush

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 10/9/2015 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I only got this for a few days now. It does a good job in detangling after washing hair. Still got hair fall on the brush though… but I guess it's easier to comb through. My hair becomes so soft after brushing it. It feels good to use, the pins feels like giving your scalp a massage. Haven't noticed shine yet.

on 2/18/2014 10:09:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love wood handled brushes and this paddle brush is wonderful. I have others, but they were plastic and fell apart quickly. This one feels great in my hair, my hands like the wood, and nothing to snag hair on as well. I would buy a bunch of these if I could. Excellent brush from TBS!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This brush is SO nice. Skip the Aveda brush and go for The Body Shop.

I gladly traveled 5 hours out of my way and forked over the $21 (1295 rupees, not to mention the 350 for the rickshaw driver) for this brush, at the Celebration Mall in Udaipur, India. Yes, it cost much more here than at home in the States, but my hair, (which had been abused and rebelling in a ratty, broken mess thanks to the cheapy travel brush I was trying to get by on) is happy and pretty again. This paddle brush has the ability to smooth my thick, long, wavy hair into shine again, and easily sort through any tangles I might incur thanks to 16 hour bus rides and gusts of dust on desert-town streets.

The bamboo body, white rubber cushion and plastic or nylon (?) bristles weigh a little bit more than my Aveda brush back home—but it's by no means heavy. The extra heft actually lends itself to a higher quality feel than my Aveda brush. I can't comment on durability yet, as the week I've owned it I've been in one spot. I'll be hard on this brush as it'll be one of my highly valued, precious ,personal items stuffed in my small backpack as it sorts through and brushes out “India” from my hair, but if it doesn't last, I'll undoubtedly update my review. Words cannot convey how thrilled I am to have found it here, despite the hugely inflated price!

on 2/13/2014 10:20:00 AM

I have Ă©lementary the Too Faced Chocolate Bar and was really liking how Strawberry Bon Bon looked and wanted to get into more matte looks (aside from the browns that were already in my palette) to add to the Strawberry or even for different shades, like a taupe matte eye. I looked up some Makeup Revolution palettes and the swatches looked amazing. I decided the essential mattes were too blue so I was eyeing the Romantic Smoked. But when I went to the store, I wasn't impressed with how the pigmentation looked through the window. I ended up getting a few Nyx matte shades instead. (They're chalky but pretty)

I kept looking at the swatches though, and in the pictures online, the palette looked drab compared to the nice swatches in peoples images, so maybe they just applied better than they looked. But some swatches looked really dull and powdery. I had to know for myself, so I got the Romantic Smoked and also picked up Iconic 3, since I realllly love some of the shades I've swatched in Naked 3, but wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. The truth lies somewhere in between.

ICONIC 3 Shades and Comparison:

1 - a white based matte neutral, really chalky, UD Strange way better

2 - super glimmery pink shimmer (compare to UD Dust) I don't really have a comparison opinion, I hope this will be good for highlight. We'll see.

3 - a rose gold shimmer, but just. This disappointed me a lot. Not at all like UD Burnout which was one of the shades I wanted. They look similar in photos, so be careful. This one is just basic, it lacks dimention and is just pink, plus it's chunky. Ideally I'd love a shade like Bordello from UD Shadowbox (which I thought was horrible but that color was PERFECT and impossible to find)

4 - a soft taupe matte, NOTHING LIKE UD Limit!! This is the other really disappointing shade for me, I really wanted a soft PINK matte that was more taupey than my Strawberry, but this is just flat taupe. I feel like this is the reason I bought this palette so to have it fall short is really disappointing. It looks similar to the Nyx Coquette except Coquette has a slight violet shift while this is just brownish. It's not a bad color, it's just totally not what I wanted. :(

5 - a really glittery red pink
6 - a really glittery gold
These two, again not sure if they are quite dupes color wise, but in my opinion they are too chunky with glitter. These are shades I probably wouldn't wear in this palette or Naked so I don't pay much attention to them.

7 - this shade is pretty much a darker shade 4, kind of like how Nooner is to Limit, but again a brown base. I actually like it in real life more than how it photographs. There's a slight rose color to this, slight. Still not pinky though.

8 - this is a pretty brown copper shimmer, is it a dupe for Liar? Idk

9 AND 10 - two pretty taupe satins. I like these shades, but they didn't even TRY to make two shades. Like, I can not tell them apart. At least not without squinting and looking super close in direct sunlight. Some swatchers got them to show differently. Idk if it's just my palette but that means the consistency between palettes might not be so stringent. I do like it, I'd say it's kind of in between Mugshot and Factory, a lot like Nyx Damage Control but deeper.

11 - complete and total winner of this palette. This is a violet shifted satiny taupe. It reminds me of Jane Passionflower but the blue tones are stronger in this one. Is it a Darkside dupe? Idk but I'll take it! Better in person. The shimmer does fall away though.

12 - a black with pink shimmer overlay. Looks cheaper to me than Blackheart. Not a color dupe for BFT (Too Faced) either, but less fallout. The shimmer does wear off.

I found this image to be more realistic yet she thinks they look like dupes.

1 - glimmery white, like Jane Jasmine. Wears off quickly

2 - a rosey taupe shimmer, not quite like the Iconic 3 shades. Pretty.

3 - shimmery light pink

4 - a golden olive shimmer

5 - a shimmer lilac

6 - a shimmer red, not super dark, almost copper, but less brown than TF Amaretto

7 - a matte pink beige? this one is pretty underpigmented, the Iconic mattes are nicer.

8 - matte light brown, very dull.

9 - a pretty matte orchid. I like this one.

10 - a weak black matte

11 - another bummer, looks aubergine in other pics, mine is a dark grey. Hard, but decent for accentuating creases/smokey looks

12 - a peach matte. Looks promising, more pigmented than Too Faced White Chocolate. Better IRL.

Formula wise, I'm disappointed, for the most part. The glitter shades have bad fallout, the mattes are chalky. The shimmers are finer milled in the Romantic palette. There is crease wear with these. The pigmentation is OK but the colors could be more unique. They take the cheap way out in making a lot of colors really similar in base color, especially the Iconic 3. I wouldn't call it a good "Dupe" for the Naked 3 at all, it applies and looks cheaper, less bright, but for a cheap warm palette its not bad.

Of course the price is great but cheap prices only excite me if the quality is worth it. I do dislike having palettes if most of the colors are useless. Because of a few gems in here I guess I can't say it is. Some singles are worth as much as the whole palette, so right now these are just above return status. I also like that I could travel with it and have variety and if it breaks its like, whatever. I also plan on replacing the brushes.

on 2/6/2014 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

EXCELLENT!!! This paddle brush perform out of my expectations. I use this after combing my hair with the body shop's wide toothed detangling comb. This brush is so gentle to my scalp and there is hardly any hair loss using this brush. Now, I know what a good brush/comb can do wonders for your hair. I have coveted for a Mason Pearson brush but sadly it is not available in my country and right now I will put this wish list on the back burner. If only, if only I have bought this paddle much sooner...

I had bought a Conair paddle brush for $5 and it puled my hair out, snagged it like crazy. Then I bought this brush for $12, and it glides through my hair, for the most part. Way better. And since it's bamboo, it probably won't fall apart like my plastic Goody hairbrushes did (boo Goody).

on 8/27/2010 3:59:00 AM

I find this better than Mason Pearson's Popular Brush!

on 7/24/2010 11:23:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is gentle on the scalp but the bristles break or get pushed in.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

This is my second tbs brush I've used and prior to that I've only used 2 maybe 3 other brushes in my life. I think it does a good job on my hair, I have fine hair but a lot of it and its long. Rec for those wanting quality without high cost.

on 4/28/2009 7:30:00 PM

I own a Mason Pearson Mixed Popular Brush and must say that this paddle brush is actually managing to compete with it.

It is not as good at making my hair all silky soft, but it does detangle at least as good (actually better) which is the most important aspect of a brush for me since I have long, thick, fine, tangle prone hair.

You would perhaps imagine it as just another bobble pin brush, but it feels very gentle on your scalp and in your hair much like my Mason Pearson.

And then it's the fact that it costs next to nothing in comparison to the more expensive brushes.

So, if you want a good brush for a low price this is definitely a good alternative.

Top Rated Accessories