Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat

Butyl Acetate, Toluene, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Butoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Benzophenone-1.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love doing my nails and this is my all time favorite top coat! I couldn't even count how many bottles of this I've gone through. As a small disclaimer, I have a very particular type of nails and I think that's why SV works so well for me, and it might not work well for other types of nails.

When I do my nails, I use a base coat (usually Nail Envy, but thinking of switching to Seche Clear, which I tried recently and loved), 1-3 coats of color, maybe glitter or a design, and SV as a top coat. When I get to the top coat stage, I wait until the color is semi dry -- that is, lightly touching it doesn't leaving a mark, but touching two nails together would -- then I wrap the free edge with SV and apply a thick coat (for me, this has been key to creating a smooth finish and protecting the polish).

SV is thick and goopy and has a strong chemical smell. It dries fairly quickly (dry to a light touch in maybe 5 minutes), but I still wait at least an hour before doing anything that could mess them up. The finish is very shiny and dulls gradually after a few days. It does a great job with smoothing out small imperfections in the nail polish to create a perfectly smooth finish. For me, this is key in nail polish designs, especially ones that use a sponge (which creates a very uneven and messy-looking surface), as it melds all the layers together. It's also (for me) very long-lasting -- when I am careful with the application, my manicures usually last at least one week with no chips, and by then I'm usually bored and want to change it anyway. Since I started using SV, it's been very very rare that my nails have a chance to chip before I change the color.

I haven't experienced most of the problems I've heard others sometimes have with SV (shrinkage, chipping, making nails dry or brittle) but, again, I think that has to do with my nail type. I have very thick/hard nails that barely bend at all, and I have read that people with soft/bendy nails sometimes experience problems with quick-drying top coats because if the top coat is thicker and stronger than the nail, it can crack and chip when the nail bends. This isn't the case with me, so I highly recommend if you have thick nails.

I do have problems with the bottom 1/4 or so getting so thick and goopy that it's unusable. I go through SV pretty quickly, so I don't believe it's a case of leaving it out too long. When it gets this way, it's impossible to use well, and I've ruined more than one mani trying to make it work anyway. Usually, I just buy a new bottle, but I'm thinking of trying the Seche Restore, as it would probably save me money in the long run.

OVERALL: Wonderful top coat, especially for thick nails; quick-drying; long-lasting; creates a smooth finish; essential for nail art!

on 10/7/2015 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

A must have! Dries your nail polish very quickly, leaves them ultra shiny and makes sure your nail polish lasts at least a bit longer than without a top coat. (Really I've never seen a reason to use another top coat, so I can only compare it to using no top coat at all.) They also harden the nails a bit, which makes them less prone to breaking. Only cons I can see with this product is that it seems pretty harsh chemical-wise, and that it allows you to peel off your nail polish in chunks when it's starting to come off. The last part is mostly a problem because I've never been able to leave my nails be when I see the slightest hint at being able to peel off the nail polish.

Absolute HG top coat. I used this then went to the Dior one for a while then returned to this as it is more widely available and frankly I found it did the same thing. I'm never without it and in fact after a mani that lasted a day in Thailand (after they used a godawful top coat that didn't dry for two days and dulled in chlorine when I was swimming) I used it to refresh my nails and amazingly - they were like new. If I had one gripe - it could last a little longer, but I'm willing to offer all of that based on how quickly my nails dry and are so shiny.

on 9/28/2015 6:53:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I absolutely love this top coat and I never want to use another! I have never had a top coat that dries so quickly and makes the polish underneath nice and shiny! The only downside is that it does have a chemical smell, but that is easy to ignore when you are enjoying the look it gives your nails.

I have repurchased this product many, many times! My HG top coat, unless it is a drugstore gel polish set. Love how fast polish dries with this top coat, how shiny, and it really seems to enhance the polish.

on 9/1/2015 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Fast drying, shiny and hard as you know what when it dries.

on 8/31/2015 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Never again.
When I first tried it, I didn't understand how I could be without it. It does it's job - nail polish dries almost instantly. Unfortunately, after two months of using this, my nails turned completely brittle and peeling. I thought it was just winter, but my mom who lives in a completely different climate, had the same experience. My nails were weak to begin with but in ok shape, her nails are like the nails you see in commercials. Until this product... It took us about 4 months to have our nails recover.. I should have known better than to use something without reading the ingredients. But I was just smitten with how fast it dried the nail polish...

also, I think my nail polish chipped a lot faster with this on top.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

While I loved this at first for it's high gloss finish and lightening fast dry time, I stopped using it.

Yes, it's shiny. Yes it dries fast. Yes, you can put it on several layers of wet polish and it will dry them all in a minute.

But is gets thick quickly. Within a couple months, the formula got so thick that it was impossible to work with (I'm not going to buy the extra thinner and thin this out every time I go to use it, that's too much for me). It shrinks like a mofo. Probably the most offensive though is that it contains some pretty nasty toxic ingredients (Toulene). I prefer to stay away from those. Plus, this STINKS!

I much prefer HK girl top coat. Just as shiny, just as fast drying, basically the same as Seche, but waaaaaay better!

on 8/21/2015 9:21:00 AM

Dries extremely fast, ultra glossy and smooth. Downside: shrinks and chips/peels easily. The only reason why I keep on buying this is because I don't have the time to dry my nails and because the glossiness is superb. Other than that, polish lasts 3-5 days max.

on 8/21/2015 8:58:00 AM

Cons: Dries fast, but doesn't make miracles (and that was i was expecting). Isn't ultra shiny and my nails looks duller every day. My nails doesn't look smooth either... you can see creases and some brush strokes :'(. I've had better results with China Glaze fast forward top coat (better and long lasting shine; really smooth surface).

Pros: Only suffered minor chipping (but only hours after my manicure) and almost no shrinkage. I used it with Gelous and Orly Bonder, so i think it will last perfectly for a week.

I'm very dissapointed, because I was really expecting great results and is just an average top coat.

Doesn't worth the amount I paid for it :(

EDIT: This top coat is A M A Z I N G for nail stamping. Images seems to be floating in the polish, the effect is beautiful. Also tried it over matte nail polish and made it astonishingly shiny (didn't achieve the same effect with other brands). I'll buy it again for this purposes.

I still can't see a big difference between this top coat and others over shiny nail polish (CG Fast Forward, SH Insta Dry; American Classics In a Hurry, Essence, etc).

EDIT 2: Yeah, now I can see it. Used with Gelous, really looks like a gel manicure.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

My top 5 fave beauty items, right now - Seche Vite dry fast top coat by Denim Vixen

Product Wars - Episode 13 by fionaman