December 20, 2014 | 1592 users online

Top/Base Coats - Seche Vite - Dry Fast Top Coat

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2014 6:21:00 AM More reviews by Eastend_Snob

This is by no means the perfect top coat, but it's as close to perfection as I'll ever get. True to its name, it dries SUPER FAST. Less than 30 seconds after application, I can actually use my hands without ever having to worry about destroying all my hard work. The formula is thick and gel-like - I can definitely see it sitting on top of my nails. It also stinks to high heaven but only whilst it's still wet. Otherwise it makes my polish look incredibly shiny and sometimes even luminous! I use my hands a lot and I'm very rough with them so chipping is inevitable for me. But I haven't had any better luck with other top coats so until something groundbreaking comes along, I will always keep coming back to this one!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by KissyLipRaptor

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a love/hate relationship with Seche Vite's topcoat. It dries amazingly fast! I can put it on and be completely confident that I won't smudge anything in less than five minutes. It has a fantastic shine for about 48 hours, then the shine is like any other topcoat. It does have an extremely strong smell, but I've noticed that any fast drying top coat has a very strong odor. Because the product dries quickly, the bottle does too. About a third of the way through the bottle it got too thick to use, especially with their brush which I feel is just a bit too thin. I know that you can use a nail polish thinner, but I would rather use a slightly slower drying topcoat that is useable all the way down than a faster drying topcoat that I need to add extra product to. My biggest problem with it is the skrinkage. I like to fully wrap my nails in basecoat and topcoat, but that's only when I have the time to do so. More often than not, I only have time to cap the edges of my nails and the topcoat pulls back and chips in about an hour.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2014 11:33:00 PM More reviews by Trincm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this top coat dry fast product. I too hated painting my nails because I would have to waste at least an hour to have my nails dry and even then, they were prone to smudges. This product is THE best. I love being able to paint my nails, have them dry fast and end with a shiny top coat that looks better than artificial nails. Certainly it does not last for weeks but then I like to change my nail color at least once a week and doing so is easy and fast with this product. The smell is nothing compared to all the chemicals inhaled at salons with artificial nails.
Finally a product that actually does what it says it will do. I will forever buy this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2014 11:20:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't realize that top coats could make such a difference, or dry so quickly, until I tried Seche Vite. I had nearly given up on nail polish because even after waiting 6 hours for my nails to dry I would still experience smudging or find sheet marks the morning after.

Seche Vite does exactly what it says, it dries fast. I am comfortable using my hands to do small things like opening doors or using the remote to watch TV after about a minute. In 5 minutes, I am comfortable doing nearly anything (although, just to be on the safe side I'll usually wait 30+ minutes to take a shower or something like that).

On top of drying fast, it leaves a very glossy wet-like finish which is something I like a lot. I do not normally experience chips (previously 2-3 week at most on my fingers, and none on my toes) but they are even rarer now that I use Seche Vite.

With that said, I am not a fan of how halfway through the bottle it becomes difficult to use. Past the halfway point, the product will form a dried strand, like that of a spider building a cobweb, through the air when I remove the wand from the bottle. It is not unusable though it becomes a bit more difficult. I know there is a product (Seche Restore) available to help with this, which I haven't tried as I'm not crazy about the idea of purchasing a second product in order to use my first product.

Like other reviewers have mentioned, it also has a strong smell but this does not linger or bother me any more than the smell of a standard nail polish as I always paint my nails in the backyard. I haven't personally experienced any shrinkage (and I don't wrap my tips) using this with my polishes (mainly China Glaze) and Seche Base.

Overall, I don't mind recommending Seche Vite since it is a good product, but I am still planning to try other top coats that may not have the same problem past the halfway point.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by squiggles37

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is an industry favorite for a reason, but personally I am not a fan.

Pros:
- does dry super fast
- super glossy shine

Cons:
- super strong chemically smell. like i will get lung cancer from inhaling the fumes.
- i find that this attracts grease or smudges --- when I use this on my nails, the clear glossy topcoat always seems to be covered in greasy fingerprints (I do lotion a lot though but other top coats seem to handle my lotioning habit a lot better)
- major shrinkage if you do not do a good job of fully coating the edges of your nails
- dries up/gets goopy within the bottle fast (you'll need to use the Restore product)

If none of the cons bother you, then this is an excellent topcoat. Personally I always leave a good amount of time to do my nails, so I don't really need a fast drying top coat (CND Super Shiney is my fave).

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by lalaladylauren

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Raided this from my mom's collection. I still haven't been able to pinpoint if it's this product, my basecoat, or the actual polish itself that's causing my nails to peel, so for now, I won't take off points for that. I'm in love with how fast it dries: I can shower, go to bed, or just go about my day and my polish will stay intact--which I can't really say about other top coats I've tried. Because of this, I will most likely repurchase...despite the nagging feeling that I'm probably taking a week off my life every time I use it due to all the chemicals in it.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2014 1:43:00 AM More reviews by redaqua

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This causes my polish to peel off in sheets. My polish chips within a day of using this. It stinks to high heaven. It goes " bad" quickly meaning it turns very gummy and hard to work with. It disrupts my nail polish while applying and creates streaks. It will remove polish while applying. It's too pricy for all the drama it creates. Ugh. ..... This is way too hyped.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2014 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Sweeneyd

After hearing a friend rave about this stuff (after constantly hearing my complaints on how I don't paint my nails because I have other things to do in life rather than wait for my nails to dry...), I bought a bottle. SO happy with it! I typically do base, 2 coats color, and this on top. Seriously dries so fast! The price is average. I haven't experienced the shrinkage as other reviews have stated? As far as chipping- I've always had issues... Even with gel. My major con is the smell! Just use in a well ventilated area.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2014 3:43:00 AM More reviews by longsilog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my favorite top coat thus far. It dries super fast and is easy to use. Sadly, this isn't locally available in the Philippines. :) I regret not stocking up on this while I was in Singapore.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2014 11:05:00 PM More reviews by monmellow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff dries super fast and shiny and is the best fast drying nail product i've used so far. Definitely recommend!

if you're having trouble make sure you're using it correctly - use over semi-dry nail polish and avoid going over the nail multiple times. Instead get a bead going on the end of the brush and let it sort of wash over the nail. I'm sure there are more detailed instructions on the interwebs :)