Essie Carnival

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I found this at Marshall's, having heard it compared to ChG Fairy Dust I decided to give it a shot. I actually much prefer this over Fairy Dust. They are little different. Carnival has very small silver and holographic glitters, they are not as fine as Fairy Dust. It looks like tiny silver/holo sprinkles on the nail. To me the holo is more obvious in this polish. Basically Carnival is Essie Silver Bullions with holo added. A very nice topper, which I think is one of Essie's strong suits. The formula is easy to work with and gives a nice distribution of glitter on the nail. It isn't gloopy or slow drying. I think this is a very versatile topper and it will look great over a wide variety of colors.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Definitely not my favorite glitter. There isn't enough glitter and some strokes just look clear with maybe one or two specks of glitter. Not recommended

on 4/22/2013 6:13:00 PM

My best friend is obsessed with this polish- she uses it every time she comes over. It is such a gorgeous sparke! I only ever put this on top of other colors, I wouldn't ever just use this with nothing underneath. Gorgeous sparkles!

on 3/28/2013 2:51:00 PM

It's nice over a base but I prefer China Glaze's Fairy Dust which has smaller glitter and not as silver has more of an iridescent shimmer.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really like this polish for some subtle glitter. I use it as an overcoat on opaque colors that have little to no shimmer since it is basically clear polish with the glitter in it. It's all silver glitter that are the same small size, very cute and doesn't go overboard. I love how the glitter reflects light giving your nails some dimension. If you add it atop shimmery or glittery colors, it gives them even more of a pop. This takes one coat to look like the pic I uploaded, but you can add more for more sparkle of course. I gave it 4 stars bc you have to be careful when applying or the glitter can look uneven on your nail (where glitter is too concentrated, say, in the middle of your nail where you would first apply the polish).

This is a beautiful glitter polish that I usually only wear over another nail polish color. I've been using it on my toes but I think it may be alittle too tacky on my nails, unless its done in moderation, like..just a little line or streak. I may try it on bare nails one of these days. I think carnival is just so versatile if you are artsy or alittle daring and you definitely like to try new things with your nails. This is a quality polish and has good staying power although it does have the potential to look teeny-bopperish unless you really know what you're doing.

on 10/30/2005 1:23:00 AM

In my opinion,this color looks best when used in combination with another color. I used Carnival over a light pink shade and liked the results better than when I used it by itself.

on 6/5/2005 4:34:00 PM

Carnival is a clear topcoat with holographic glitter. The polish has a decent amount of glitter - not too little and not too much. The glitter is not superfine - it definitely shows up as glitter (a good bit larger than the glitter in OPI's glitter bit of music top coat for reference). I might buy this again - but it isn't the kind of polish I see myself using except when I'm in a playful nail kind of mood, so this bottle should last a while.

Popular Polishes