August 30, 2014 | 1182 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 222 Tapered Blending Brush [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2012 11:57:00 AM More reviews by lola88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great underrated brush! It is perfect for my smaller eyes. I also own the 217 and 224. It has white goat hair like the 217 but is longer and thus less stiff than the 217. I've been using the 217 for 6 years but find that it is a bit too big for my eyes compared to the 222. Now with the 222 I can precisely apply the crease color and transition color exactly where I want it without overblending (like with the 217) and making a muddy/overblended mess. The color is blended exactly where I want it to be blended on the eye. Now I can blend my transition color where I want it and blend my crease color where I want it without overlapping them overly much. It really has changed my application for the better. It costs $21 at CCO which is more expensive than the 217 (which is $23 at retail, $17 at CCO) but the 222 is really worth it for precisely blended application.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 10:46:00 PM More reviews by sweetascocoa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This brush is what I wanted the 224 an the 217 to be. Both the 217 and the 224 overly blend my shadows- because the brushes are to big. However, the 222 is perfect for getting into my crease and blending the harsh edges of my shadows. This is because the 222 is thin and long enough to blend without making everything a muddled mess.

I got my 222 from my CCO, so this was an excellent buy for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2012 8:52:00 PM More reviews by rosademarzo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

hmm... sorry to disagree, guys! This brush didn't work for me. It's simply too big to blend on my lids and crease. Besides, it has lost its shape big time. Mine is still nice and soft, but it looks nothing like the ones above.
    I've given it three lippies because I still have to try to give its old shape back and see what happens (no brush guards anywhere in sight).
    If I would buy this again? I don't even bother. MAC-eye brushes cost around 60 dollars at Brazilian MAC stores. Will have to wait till my next trip overseas to get new brushes.
    (It's no longer displayed on their website - maybe discontinued?)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2012 3:42:00 PM More reviews by stls

I like this brush but I wouldn't call it a staple. Yes, it's soft and precise, blends eyeshadows well and never shed a hair or stained. Why not a staple, right? Well, I can have the same results with my 217.
    Oh, and I just noticed that it's not on the official MAC website anymore...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2012 1:52:00 AM More reviews by julesbarb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My HG of MAC eye makeup brushes. It is truly blending magic! It makes blending and applying to the crease a breeze! Doesn't shed and keeps it's shape. I would totally repurchase this brush if it was lost or damaged by me somehow as I can't live without it! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2011 12:55:00 AM More reviews by pissandvinegar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh MAC 222... you are so good to me. I love this brush for a lot of reasons... it works well to apply to the crease, blends well, doesn't shed, etc etc but my favorite use for this is to apply pigment. I find that it holds onto pigment really well and then blends it out fantastically. This is one of the brushes that I would really like to have a double of, it's verrry useful.
    PROS: great for crease, applying pigment, blending, good quality, holds shape
    CONS: more difficult to find as it is a Pro brush, semi $$$

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 1:32:00 AM More reviews by evillittlekitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I own pretty much all the tapered/crease eye brushes MAC has to offer, and of those, the 222 is indispensable.

Like a lot of people, I find the 224 too big and fluffy to define my crease. It tends to muddy the crease, lid, and brow colors (which makes it great for blending -- not so much for defining).

The 222, on the other hand, is veeeeeery precise. Its narrow shape and "stiffness" lets you easily sweep color directly into the crease -- no higher, no lower. For someone like me, who doesn't have a lot of "real estate" to work with, it's a godsend. (But don't take this to mean this brush is only good for people with smaller eyes -- just as I use the 219 pencil brush to deepen my crease, so could you with the 222!)

This is a top-notch brush on par with the famed 239: it's soft, durable, picks up and packs on pigment, doesn't shed, and holds up through washings.

I seriously can't see why anyone wouldn't find something to love about this brush -- it's just so GOOD at what it does!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2011 9:23:00 PM More reviews by melangerehab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I gave in to the MAC hype and bought this and a 217. I like the brushes. They are soft, dense, and pack on color well. They wash well, too - don't worry that the bristles are white, they will stay that way if you take care of them.

I gave these a four instead of a five because a) no brush should cost this much and b) they are NOT universal in their application. I have a small eyelid space and these brushes are just too big to blend in a flattering way, especially in the crease. I was told this was a perfect product that works great for everyone, but no matter how slowly or carefully I go, I still have muddy overdramatic/overdone looks.

An artist is only as good as their tools, and I thought I would finally have good makeup because of this brush, but I don't, not yet. I'm still looking for the blending brush that flatters my eyes. These brushes would most likely flatter you and do everything the other reviewers say they would do, but I, for one, am a little bit disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2011 10:54:00 AM More reviews by chiodancrgrl23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a really great brush. I use it for my crease shades and it works very well. Somehow, even though the brush is wider at the end, it is still able to get into my crease and distribute shadow with precision (yet gives a softened edge to the shadow). I would repurchase this brush - it's much better (for me at least) than the MAC 224.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2011 10:49:00 AM More reviews by sarahanne40

Love this brush, I went to my mac counter and wanted a good blending brush for blending out the edge of my crease to brow bone and the MUA instantly pulled this one out. I'm so glad I got it - it is pricey, but so far I haven't had any shedding and when washed the white bristles do not retain the e/s colour (which I was a little worried about with the white bristles). I have quite a deep crease and because of the length of the brush i can get right into the crease and still be able to see what i'm doing! Great - love it. I have seen that others compare it to the 217, so I suppose that's good cos now the 217 is off my wishlist :) !