December 23, 2014 | 1565 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Tone Refiner

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2010 2:22:00 AM More reviews by colfaxt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is discontinued, so you now need to buy the Loreal Brass Bannisher

I agree with others, it wont fix big brassy oops. Only sublte brass. Always ladies use red gold corrector from Sally Beauty, add drops to your color after you mix, it will eliminate alot of brass before you need this.

I like to use between long times when I dont color like after 4 weeks.

It works great on medium blonde, and champagne blonde.

It does leave your hair waxy for a week, but that only adds to the shine & reduction in brass from shampoos and just blonde junk build up.

I have six boxes stored, cause I knew they were cancelling it.

Excellent product, if you dont need major brass reduction, Leaves your hair nice cool blonde.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2010 2:52:00 AM More reviews by PinkSoFoxy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've highlighted my hair for almost 15 years, and there are 3 products that I couldn't live without. L'Oreal Hi-Light Styliste, Sun-In, and this Tone Refiner. My natural hair color is a very dark brown and I highlight it light blonde. Working with such extremes you are bound to get some brassy warm results on occasion, especially near your roots. I use the Tone Refiner after every highlight session. It gets rid of unwanted warmth and that brassy orange tint. However as it states on the box...it does NOT change your base color. It is meant to balance your color and provide a more subtle cooler undertone. If you have a heavy amount of orange or yellow going on you will most likely need a professional colorist to fix it. This is not the product for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2009 11:09:00 PM More reviews by vlclark

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is an OK product. I have used it twice. The first time I think I left it on for 5 minutes and I saw no noticeable difference in the tone of my hair. The second time I used it, which was recently, I left it on for 10 minutes and I could see a slight improvement in tone. However, it did not dry my hair out at all or make it greasy or turn my blonde hair brown. The conditioner that comes with it is awesome! It is very moisturizing and smells fantastic.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2008 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Kitten2007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was skeptical about this product after reading some of the reviews, and the fact that my hair was very brassy (after bleaching and dying multiple times trying to get my color back to its normal dark blond w. highlights from the dark brown I'd dyed it for a few months). But even as orangey as it started out, it really did have a noticeable effect. I wouldn't say it's 100%, the orange/brass is gone in all of my hair except the roots, but now it just looks more believable of a golden color rather than orange. It really saved me because I've done soo much to my hair lately and just dread the results coming out bad and having to put something else in my hair! It didn't damage or dry my hair out too much, the conditioner really doesnt help much though. And it didn't leave a gloss as the box advertises. But it did get the brass out. it was about $8 at Walgreens, and I left it in for almost 20 mins cuz I forgot to look at the time. Definitely leave it in at least 10 minutes though, no more than 20 I'd think. I'm very happy with the results, I'll just have to see after it's been a few days and I see it in different lighting/mirrors, etc. Give it a try though if you're looking for a quick/cheap fix for brassiness/redness/orangeyness.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2007 1:20:00 AM More reviews by lilpnutski

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My hair is right smack between light brown and dark blonde. It has been about 2.5 months since I had my hair professionally highlighted and I (as usual) bought a highlighting product (L'Oreal Styliste - H80) to touch up some of the roots until I am ready to spend the $$ and make the appt with my stylist. Long story short - I watched the time carefully, but probably should have watched the hair color rather than the clock. Yep, you guessed it - brassy roots, not too bad, but not well matched to the rest of my highlights. So, bought the Tone Refiner for Blondes - really unsure about whether to get the Brown or the Blonde toner. So, I applied it to the few highlights that were brassy and some of the surrounding hair (not my whole head). Good news is that the brassy highlights are now more blended, bad news is the brassiness is not completely gone. So, would I buy this product again? Yes, I would since it definitely blended the highlights and added shine. I'm due to go to my hairdresser in a month (3 - 3.5 month intervals) and so will have her fix the remaining brassiness at that time.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2007 11:15:00 AM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recently got highlights that were a bit too gold for my liking. I prefer cool-toned blonde. I purchased this and left it on for about 10-15 minutes. It definitely toned down the highlights and blended them into my hair. I was quite happy with it. And at the end of teh sumer I colored with an ash blonde shade and it really looked. This is a great, inexpensive toner for when you need a quick fix. If you have major brass or need color correction, this isn't the product for you. At that point you really need a stylist to fix it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2007 7:09:00 AM More reviews by sarahdae

Ok, this stuff first of all is designed for color treated or highlighted hair, and won't do a darn thing for natural hair. Also, it is made to correct slightly. If your hair is really orange/brassy/dark yellow, you need a SERIOUS toner in an ash/purple shade. This won't fix your problem.
My hair is naturally light neutral brown, with very light blonde highlights. I do it myself, and after I highlight, the hair can seem frizzy, dry, and if I don't leave it on long enough, just a tinge...well..bleachey blonde looking. For years I have wanted that pale, yet belivable blonde!
But I was afraid of using any heavy duty toner/purple shampoo that would turn my highlights purple/blue!
Man this stuff was freaking awesome! I used revlon frost and glo for about 1 hour processing time (cap) the highlights were just about perfect pale blonde, but this stuff made my hair instantly healthy, heavy, and shiney, with less of a bleached-blonde look. I was amazed that the hair looked like it wasn't even damaged from the highlights I used this product immediately after my highlights and it worked great.
I will definitely use it again...it tames the after-highlight frizz look and is absolutely perfect for pale blonde shades. There must be something in it that smooths the cuticle of the hair.
This works great on my fine hair, making a big difference in how it behaves. Try it if you have hair like mine for sure!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2007 12:41:00 PM More reviews by dasseattle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have short thick wavy dry brunette hair which I get highlighted about twice a year. Last week, I had it done, and the highlights were just too bright for my liking. I tried to live with it, but there was something about the tone I just didn't like with my skin shade. This product caught my eye, so I bought the brown and used it this morning - left it on for about 10 minutes. As everyone has said, the difference is subtle, but for me, it's great! It did something to the highlights so that they now complement my skin instead of fading me out, and my hair is now incredibly soft and shiny. Will definitely use again.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2007 6:56:00 PM More reviews by djacks1128

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Seriously...this product did not do a damn thing for my hair except dry it out. I had brassy highlights on brown hair and that is what I still have now, except it is not shinier as promised and is now more dry than before. I even left it on a couple of minutes longer (which might be why it's so dry now). Don't waste your time or money...
In the past I've used the Natural Match Light Ash Brown or Dark Ash Blonde and it has worked very well at getting the brassy tones out. Now i just have to decide whether to do that again or get rid of my highlights completely and go for a nice dark brown.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2007 5:32:00 PM More reviews by feline208

I do my own streaking at home, and since my hair is very dark, it yes, sometimes comes out very brassy. I use to then use a light ash blonde on it to tone it down, but sometimes that left a greenish tinge on the blonde area. This is the most fantastic product ever. I use it after streaking, and in between streak jobs, - it tames the roots and cuts down on the brassiness that seems to come creeping back. I leave it on for around 10-15 minutes.