April 23, 2014 | 2022 users online

Gels/Soaps - LUSH - Sonic Death Monkey

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2013 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Lewellenkelli

To me it smells like malt chocolate and coffee. I don't really smell lime at all. It's very creamy and a little give you a big lather so a big bottle will last me forever. Works good for a shampoo if your in a pinch but I would recommend it everyday.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 5:10:00 AM More reviews by sweetiepea161616

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

OMG I LOVE this! It smells so unique. The smell reminds me of swisher sweets, actually! lol It smells like chocolate, mocha, and cigars. There is a great tobacco type scent that gives it depth and richness, and then there is a random hint of lime to kind of bring it back a little. This is a unisex scent for sure. It is so comforting yet yummy and gourmand. The only thing I really do dislike about this is the consistency. It is very runny, which is such a bummer since the smell is so amazing. Plus, it is very expensive!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2011 9:57:00 PM More reviews by orangemonster99

CHOCOLATE COVERED ORANGE CANDY! This shower gel smells just like them! You know the ones - you open a box of assorted soft center chocolates and stick your thumb into them til you find the orange cream center! YUMMY! I'd have to say I don't detect any coffee scent but it could just be my bottle. I like the consistency and the way it lathers - very nice little pick me up in the shower.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2010 11:30:00 PM More reviews by pikacharma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love this stuff, but it's definitely an acquired taste. HATED the smell at first, but then I got oddly addicted to it. Definitely cleans well though, and it also doubles as a really nice shampoo. Just make sure you shake it before you use it, since it seems to separate into layers. However, I did notice that if you don't shake it, the part of the smell that a lot of people would consider obnoxious leaves the product by the time the bottle's about 1\3 of the way empty. Might possibly be useful info for people who like the product in general, but think it's too overpowering.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by xxaceswildxx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a strange, strange product. The consistency isn't gel... its liquid. Despite that, it lathers well. i poured some on my loufah and mushied it and it foamed like my other gels. I had to keep my hand under my loufah though so the product didn't fall completely through and down the drain.

The smell I don't mind like some seem to. Its not great, but I don't find it bad either. Its like an orange mocha latte.

I prefer fruitier scents, so I probably will not repurchase this at all, but I'm not sorry I spent money on it the first time around

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2010 10:52:00 AM More reviews by CarolinaMidwife

I liked this... but then again I'm into coffee scented body products because they give me a mental caffeine boost. It does smell like coffee, chocolate, and maybe fruit or something but I still dug it. Also, as a soap it works just as well as any other Lush shower gel which is to say that it's pretty awesome.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2009 2:20:00 PM More reviews by Iseult6

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love nearly everything from Lush, so it is with a heavy heart that I'm writing this review.

Whoever cooked this up should be FIRED. I mean, why? They say that it's called Sonic Death Monkey (like in High Fidelity) because it annoys everyone. So why even make such a product?

First of all, this thing stinks. I'm not sensitive to scents, in fact I take most Lush products on a stride, including many that other reviewers have said smell too strong for them. But not only does this product smell strong, it smells foul. Nothing pleasant about it at all.

Secondly, to call this a shower gel is odd. I don't know if I just got a faulty product, but mine is completely liquid with no gel-like characteristics at all (I'm comparing this to Happy Hippie which was indeed a gel).

Sadly, I have a whole big bottle of this poison. :( It was one of the few full-size products in a Lush lucky dip bag that I purchased, so it wasn't very lucky at all! I tried using it to clean my bathroom floor, but I just can't deal with the smell. I think I'll just have to pour it down the drain as slowly as possible to prevent any stinky foam.

I hear it's now been discontinued. Not. At. All. Surprised.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2009 1:17:00 AM More reviews by bvbvvbvvv

im using it these days, it smells like the combination of chocolate and mint. i think it is a pretty strange smell, but my bf likes it

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2009 11:29:00 PM More reviews by illeyad

When I first bought this, the scent was horrible, it smelled like acidic coffee with a after scent of chocolate. However, after using up a quarter of the bottle, the scent became pleasant and became the true chocolate, lime, and slight coffee smell I was expecting. I noticed that there are two layers of brown colors in the bottle, one that is light, and the rest that is dark, once the smaller light color of brown was gone the scent became much more pleasant, but not incredible.

PROS: (1) foams up reasonably well, (2) I liked the chocolaty lime smell (3) left my skin soft, (4) did not irritate

CONS: (1) the coffee! Horrible idea, the coffee scent smells like coffee gone bad. If you have ever thrown out used coffee grounds in the trash bin, and smelt it the next day- you would know what I was talking about. The scent of decaying coffee smells disgusting and should never have been in this product.

Like many, I associate many things with scent, unfortunately my experience with this product were mediocre. I would not say it is absolutely horrible, the biggest blunder was the quality of coffee beans used in this product. Had the coffee beans never been used I suspect it would have been more popular.

This is a no go for me,
Happy Shopping

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2009 2:34:00 AM More reviews by coruscation

Got a sample of this and I hate the smell of it.