September 21, 2014 | 1065 users online

Fragrances - Coty - Ambre Antique

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2005 5:24:00 PM More reviews by dinazad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Bow head and knee in awe and reverence, ladies, for you are in the presence of a true work of art. WHAT a fragrance!!!! Believe me, if you have the fortune to take the 1995 limited re-issue of the original (in a copy of the original Lalique bottle) into your hands and gently remove the crystal stopper, lightly touching it to your wrist while the first wisp of a scent reaches your nostrils.... you will have something akin to a spiritual experience (I did, anyway, and I've sniffed many a great perfume in my day). This is the grandmamma of all amber scents, and none of the brash young gang following in her footsteps have ever reached this degree of refinement or beauty! If the last rays of the setting sun had a scent, this would be it (OK, OK, it might not suit everybody. Neither does Rembrandt. Or the Mona Lisa. Does that make them lesser works of art?). Breathtaking.
However, I do have one gripe. The magnificent bottle comes in a box of dark orange cardboard with an old-fashioned label. Take off the lid and you will see it standing on a small pedestal, mirrored in a three-part mirror, as it deserves. Did the pedestal have to be out of the cheapest looking silver plastic? Couldn't the cardboard supporting the mirrors have been tinted instead of just being...umm... cardboard-coloured? Surely a luxurious scent of this pedigree with an equally luxurious price would merit better-made packaging. But then, that's just the box. The rest.... oh my! Why Coty has stopped producing high-class scents like Ambre Antique, Chypre, Rose Jacqueminot, L'Origan, and possibly soon the lovely Emeraude, in favour of things like Adidas and Lady Stetson, is beyond me. Not that I object to these scents. I'm sure that they please many people. So does Coke. That still doesn't bring it into the champagne class of drinks.
This however.... words fail me...

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No