December 20, 2014 | 1593 users online

Shampoo - Earth Science - Fragrance Free Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 on 10/14/2014 1:28:00 PM More reviews by Rajeswaren

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Cleansed well but much too drying for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Gita1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The more I use this shampoo the more I like it. I was skeptical at first that this would make any difference in my itchy scalp. It does. I never notice my scalp being itchy any more. I have no problem getting this to lather whether our water is running hard or soft (sometimes we forget to put softener in in a timely manner). I have hair that gets oily very fast and this cleans thoroughly. However, I often do the CWC method - coat length with a light conditioner, wash scalp with shampoo, rinse and condition as usual. No need to expose length constantly to detergents. This works just fine. I color my roots about every six weeks and this does no harm. Very good product, lasts a long time and not expensive at all. I order online from drugstore.com. No cons to this porduct at all except maybe availability.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

My scalp is dry and sensitive. My hair is short, curly, and color-treated The label on this thick, clear shampoo says it's fragrance free and that it's an extra gentle shampoo for sensitive hair and scalp. It does have more gentle cleansers than do most other shampoos. It effectively washed my hair and scalp with one lathering. However, I found it very drying to my hair and scalp. I diluted it by half with distilled water and it seems to be just as cleansing but without scalp irritation and dryness.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 3:19:00 AM More reviews by starfishnet

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I suffer from dandruff build-up and after using this shampoo, I never had to use an anti-dandruff shampoo again. Fragrance Free so that's a billion beauty points in my book. I wish they don't discontinue.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Decent basic minimalist shampoo for fragile, sensitive etc. skin inc. scalp. It's fragrance-free, doesn't have sodium lauryl sulfate (I can't use this for eczema reasons), has a skin-neutral pH, and doesn't contain any other of my irritants; weirdly, these include aloe vera and unfortunately it's in most other unscented shampoos.

Not the best shampoo I've ever used for actually cleaning hair: I found after about four washes, performance slips. But yes, I would buy it again: alternating it with another shampoo every other week, say; or reserving it for use when my scalp and/or rest of skin are being particularly irritable. Problem: the first couple of washes are lovely. But then things go downhill. Hair gets greasy at the roots and slightly dry at the ends before the end of the day; whereas with a better shampoo ("better" for my hair, anyway), I'll get three days between washes. Still, ES gets a 3.5 bumped up to a 4 because it does basically work; and the issue of longer-term functionality is one I've had with all minimalist gentle shampoos. Some much more so than this.

Skin here: dry, sensitive, fragile (easily irritated and thin . physically delicate), eczema. Hair: long, fine, thick/dense, slightly wavy, untreated, normal to slightly dry.

Results: Scalp is calm. Surrounding skin (face, neck, shoulders, back) too. And hair is clean. Well done that shampoo.

It's a clear gellid substance. Needs a little mixing with water in the palm of the hand before use. Actually, warning: the texture is weird.

Method for use: OK, this is completely teaching granny to suck eggs; but you never know, some of this might be useful to someone out there:
1. Brush hair in the direction it'll be washed (usually, head upside-down). Get in shower. Wet hair (using tepid water throughout, not hot). Pre-wash, usually applying conditioner (with some DIY hair oil mixed in: see NP, currently a mix of argan and avocado) to damp hair, to the lengths below ears. Sometimes I use the oil instead. Sometimes I apply the oil as a treatment, for half an hour or more beforehand.
2. Rinse all that out.
3. Apply a little shampoo, just to scalp. Move it around very approximately: this is just to loosen dirt etc. It'll seem like nothing's happened. Don't worry. Rinse out immediately.
4. Second main wash, just the scalp again, with more massaging--but gently. It'll lather a little. Leave this in for a couple of minutes while cleaning rest of self.
5. Rinse out. I found that without doing the conditioning pre-wash, my hair was tangled and a bit dry and brittle-feeling with almost all shampoos (including this one). But doing the pre-wash, hair's perfectly OK: no straw effects.
6. Condition, below ears again (not scalp) and with DIY hair oil mixed in. Leave that for a few minutes.
7. Rinse out.
8. Final cold rinse, squeeze out water using hands, wrap hair in towel. I leave hair to air-dry and I don't use any styling products; just a bit of argan oil or the DIY mix if hair ends are dry (between washes) or if I'm generally overall drier than usual.

Tangential to its immediate functioning: Earth Science stuff is cruelty-free, cheap (around USD/CAD 5.00-8.00 for 12 fl oz), and readily available (shops, online). I've used quite a few unscented shampoos, here in North America and in Europe, and at a range of prices: this is one of the best. Unreservedly recommended.

UPDATE (2013-04): would also recommend Curelle Hydra shampoo, for another basic bland unscented one; similar issues, though, on being fine for a short period but not for longer-term use.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Sodium Myreth Sulfate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Wheat Germ Amidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Panthenol, Lactic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate continued >>

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2011 1:21:00 PM More reviews by salhon

This shampoo does the job with 2 lathers, but it is very drying. I like the fact that it is fragrance free, but my hair felt stripped of any natural oils. I don't think I would ever get a brush through it if I had not piled tons of conditioner on. I do not plan on purchasing this again due to the snarly mess my hair became, but, I do have longer, color treated hair. Maybe someone with very short hair or someone with super oily hair would find it perfect.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My husband and I love this shampoo. We both have sensitive skin, so we appreciate that this product is fragrance free. It lathers well and gets our fine hair super clean.

My husband switched to this from Paula's Choice Hair and Body Shampoo, which didn't clean as well, leaving his hair looking greasy. I switched to the Earth Science shampoo from Giovanni 50:50. I love the performance of the Giovanni, but the essential oils and plant extracts were causing dermatitis in my ears. I do find that the Earth Science shampoo can be a little drying, even though my hair isn't typically prone to dryness, but following with conditioner solves this problem (I didn't need to use conditioner with the Giovanni shampoo, though I usually used one anyway).

I buy it at a significant discount at luckyvitamin.com or vitacost.com. We'll keep using this product unless we find another fragrance-free shampoo that we like better.

Ingredients: water, sodium myreth sulfate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, wheat germamidopropyl betaine, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, jojoba seed oil, hydrolyzed wheat protein, panthenol, lactic acid, potassium sorbate, hydroxymethylglycinate.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2010 12:38:00 AM More reviews by forya

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm really impressed with this shampoo. I had a poor experience with it years ago, but apparently they changed the formula. I have wavy, coarse, thick, dry hair that tends to frizz, and I suffer from dry scalp.

I was worried that this shampoo was going to make my scalp and hair really dry, but surprisingly it worked better than any shampoo I've ever used. For years, I used Head & Shoulders because most shampoos made my scalp dry and itchy.

Once I switched to Earth Science, my scalp finally felt normal, no more itching and dryness. I must have been allergic to fragrances all those years! ES also made my hair less frizzy compared to H&S.

Based on the ingredients, I believe ES is the most moisturizing fragrance-free shampoo because it lists jojoba oil sixth in ingredients. Most fragrance-free shampoos don't contain oil or have jojoba oil listed near the bottom.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2010 12:47:00 AM More reviews by twirlygurl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been looking for a good unscented shampoo and I've tried a lot of other brands but this one might be my HG shampoo (I've been using it for 1 month as of this review).

It lathers beautifully, leaves my hair and scalp super clean and fresh without any residue nor is it too harsh or drying. I can even skip a few days in between shampoos and my hair and scalp still feel and smell fresh. Decent price point and easy to find as well. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2009 9:10:00 AM More reviews by DreamWavez

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this shampoo. I used Giovanni's 50/50 balanced before and liked it, but this is even better. I have normal/oily hair and this leaves it very soft and shiny. I shower every other day, and with this my hair still looks good the day after I wash it. I find it lathers quite well with a small amount. I've been using it for a month, so as long as nothing changes I'll buy this from now on!