July 25, 2014 | 1702 users online

Fragrances - Body Time China Rain

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by sillage

China Rain perfume oil is absolutely one of the best all-around perfumes in so many ways. It smells fantastic (it's a soft floral musk, basically), it's an easy-to-transport oil formulation, the scent lasts like crazy, and it's fairly inexpensive.

China Rain's scent itself dries down very much like J Lo Glow .. only greener. Per terranovabody.com (owned by bodytime.com), "China Rain blends white lilies and Asian blossoms with clean musk and white moss". J Lo Glow is not as green (Glow contains a few different notes), but the drydown is a very similar clean skin musk.

Internet rumor had it, when Glow launched, that J Lo herself had been a fan, user, and orderer of China Rain, and the people at BodyTime.com in Berkley CA confirmed that, at the time.

Word of caution -- this perfume oil is surprisingly *strong* and tenacious. The first couple times I wore it, I applied very little, but it turned out to be too much. Now I apply *teeny tiny* dots -- distributed in a few spots -- and I have a soft, delicious, natural, skin-musky scent all day long. It's a "your-skin-but-better" fragrance that stays close to the body and pulls people in. It emanates -- becomes one with warm skin in a clean, fresh, delicious, and magical way.

A bottle of China Rain perfume oil is a great value, plus it's an absolutely lovely scent. It smells like springtime air -- combined with fresh, clean musk. Very soft and sensuous!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 12:08:00 AM More reviews by astraltraveler

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A HG of mine! Clean, soft and compelling due to the green clover, lily of the valley and what seems like honeysuckle and light jasmine, resting atop a bed of sandalwood and musk. The base notes keep this from being too floral and sweet. This clean, crisp yet sensual scent was totally ripped off by J Lo for her Glow scent, but this is much better! Reminds me of "Rain" type incense. Not too fem, guys can wear this too! I buy an ounce of this at the time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 11:53:00 PM More reviews by SuburbanSue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This fragrance is one you'll recognize if you've ever sampled other, similar scents such as J. Lo Glow and GAP Heaven, or Terra Nova's China Rain, which I think is the exact same as this one, or close to it. Body Time China Rain is a floral/green musk that comes across as shower-clean and soapy. Great for warm weather. It's not a complicated fragrance, and it doesn't morph much as it dries down. I detect quite a bit of lily of the valley -- almost enough to be headache-inducing if you over-apply this scent, but if you keep it to just a few dabs of the oil, you won't overwhelm your senses. Unlike J. Lo Glow, this fragrance is not really sharp or brash -- it's softer. It's good to layer over other musky scents, especially Egyptian and white musks. The low cost is a a real plus, too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 2:44:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

The other reviewers have done a great job of describing the notes as I am horrible at describing them. To my nose this is a soapy green floral. I loved this as a young teen and now that I am in my late twenties, I still love it. It is definitely unique and musky, but clean at the same time. I never feel overpowered by this scent. I have the rollerball, but I have bought the lotion occasionally as well. I wear this more during mild weather, though I'm pretty sure you can pull this off any season. If you like clean and soapy scents, give this a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2012 4:54:00 PM More reviews by ingchick

I first heard of this fragrance when I discovered it was a staple of Nicole Richie's. I called Body Time and asked if they could send a sample and they sent me 5 different ones.After trying them all on, China Rain warmed up on my skin and smelled really good. I got really excited and bought the oil and the next day, I received many compliments! After wearing various types of fragrances (gourmand, floral, sweet, citrus, spicy, etc.) people would not comment or compliment on my perfume. Now, I am a Flight Attendant, so my work consists of working in close quarters with people and sporting this scent has made people (mostly men) ask me what I am wearing! YES! Finally, I've found something that works for me-it is such a relief to have a signature perfume that gets you compliments and makes you feel great! It also lasts a good amount of time too- usually about 6 hours or more on me and I have dry skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2012 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Fleurine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Notes: musk, lily, green notes

This is one of the original clean laundry musk oils, very soothing and pure without being either overly soapy or powdery. A wonderful scent for a sensitive environments like certain offices. China rain could easily be worn by men, women, or children as it really just smells like freshly cleaned laundry from the dryer. And dirt cheap. Try it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 11:16:00 AM More reviews by elfriede

Surprised I haven't reviewed this yet, as I've put a huge dent in my bottle. I consider this the "standard" China Rain scent as it's arguably the original (this and/or Terranova's Rain). A soft, green floral with a sheer, clean musk base--this is the roundest and softest Rain scent I've tried so far. Lilies, lily of the valley, clover, maybe hyacinth, honeysuckle, rose? It's the most smoothly blended version to my nose, which makes individual notes hard to pick out. The base is a soapy musk (see also J.Lo Glow, widely thought to be based on this), gentler here than in Glow, but smells like the same sort of musk to me (habanolide?). Kind of a powdered-soap smell in Glow, but here with the creamy florals it's more like bar soap. Tiny hint of sandalwood in the base. Very easy to wear, lovely go-to, no-brainer scent. Body Time offers many bath & body products in this scent if you like layering. If you find it too soapy or too soft and want to try something similar, Kuumba Made's Zen Rain is worth trying (sharper, less sweet, non-soapy, more sandalwood).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2009 1:28:00 PM More reviews by linlee

I got the Body Time China Rain cologne. Soft white floral with a hint of musk. Very clean smelling and not heavy.

It lasted quite long (going on 5 hours now and I can still smell a hint of it which is amazing since I usually use eau de parfum for my other scents and it lasts the same amount of time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2009 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Nikki_L

Light soapy clean musk. I get the most compliments from wearing this scent. It's a signature.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2008 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Metraria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is it, the original -- and much-copied -- China Rain: green top notes, muguet (ie lily) heart, and a musk base. Simple, but perfect. It conveys a sense of casual, innocent, springtime prettiness. I think it's delightful, and I often get compliments when I wear it. Plus, you can't beat the price!

Like any decent perfume oil, it lasts a long time. But unlike most perfume oils, the sillage is VERY strong. This should definitely be applied very sparingly--just a tiny dab on each wrist. (There is no compliment as mixed as when a woman TWO YARDS away from you says, "You smell gorgeous!")

The top note is sweet green clover, and has a bit of a bite. The heart is simple muguet, and the base is a woodsy musk that reminds me of barley tea. I would classify this as a sweet floral fragrance, although the green and musk phases are significant. There's nothing terribly complex going on here, but the simplicity works out beautifully.

Whether you perfer fresh Bath and Body Works scents or strange and unfashionable "art" fragrances, this perfume belongs in your cabinet! continued >>