April 21, 2014 | 1473 users online

Sunscreen - DHC - White Sunscreen SPF 25

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2012 2:40:00 AM More reviews by mariaNj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Finally a sunscreen for my nasty skin. It feels oily but don't worry, it is very very light and absorbs quickly without any heavy or sticky feeling. But only a little amount to be used. People having problems with heavy spf's should try this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 6:07:00 AM More reviews by Debora

I used this sunscreen a while back, liked it and was considering repurchasing. I was interested to see another user's comment that the silver used as a preservative in the product could be dangerous. Concerned,I did as she recommended and did a search on PubMed. All the articles I found on the subject indicated that use of silver as a preservative in cosmetics doesn't pose a danger.
A summary of two of the articles is copied below:

Nanomedicine. 2010 Aug;6(4):570-4. Epub 2010 Jan 7.
Silver nanoparticles as a safe preservative for use in cosmetics.
Kokura S, Handa O, Takagi T, Ishikawa T, Naito Y, Yoshikawa T.
Source
Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan. s-kokura@koto.kpu-m.ac.jp
Abstract
Concern is continuously raised regarding the safety of preservatives, which are crucial in most cosmetic preparations. The antimicrobial effects of silver (Ag) are well recognized; however, Ag has some limitations as a preservative, such as its interference with salts. In this study, we investigated the effects of recently synthesized Ag nanoparticles on microorganisms, the permeability of Ag nanoparticles in human skin, and the cytotoxicity of Ag nanoparticles in human keratinocytes under ultraviolet B irradiation. Ag nanoparticles were found to be very stable, and they did not exhibit sedimentation for over 1 year. Ag nanoparticles showed sufficient preservation efficacy against mixed bacteria and mixed fungi, and did not penetrate normal human skin. At concentrations of 0.002-0.02 parts per million, Ag nanoparticles had no effect on HaCaT keratinocytes and did not enhance ultraviolet B-induced cell death. These results suggest that Ag nanoparticles may have potential for use as a preservative in cosmetics. From the clinical editor: In this study, the effects of recently synthesized Ag nanoparticles were investigated on microorganisms, along with the skin permeability and the cytotoxicity in human keratinocytes under UVB-irradiation. Ag nanoparticles were found to be very stable, showed sufficient preservation efficacy against mixed bacteria and mixed fungi, and did not penetrate normal human skin. Ag nanoparticles appear to be suitable for use as a preservative in cosmetics.
2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Int J Cosmet Sci. 1997 Feb;19(1):27-36.
Utilization of electrochemical silver ions as preservative agent in cosmetic dispersions.
Scalzo M, Cerretou F, Orlandi C, Simonetti N.
Source
Dipartimento di Studi di Chimica e Tecnologia delle Sostanze Biologicamente Attive, Facolta` di Farmacia, Universita` `La Sapienza', P. Le Aldo Moro 5 00185 Roma Italy.
Abstract
The use of anodic silver ions as preserving agents in cosmetics was tested by a challenge test in a set of cosmetic dispersions with the addition of known preservative inhibitors or micro-organism growth-promoters such as humectants, hydrosoluble collagen and vegetable extracts. Silver's microbicidal efficacy, compared to that of imidazolidinyl urea or methyl p-hydroxybenzoate, showed a more efficient activity especially in the presence of proteinaceous material. This agent may represent a good and safe protection for finished products both in manufacture and during use.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2011 9:08:00 PM More reviews by Sylvester

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great sunscreen. It starts out white but blends in easily, is slightly moisturizing (although I need a moisturizer with) and doesn't leave a greasy or sticky sheen. I've tried a lot of non-chemical sunscreens for my freckly, sensitive skin and this beat Shiseido's. No burning or stinging, no irritation and no blocked pores or breakouts.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2011 5:13:00 AM More reviews by bibianchan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this for $23.9 USD (not include tax) for 30 oz. i like the consistency and it doesn't clog my pores. it blends very well with my boots moose foundation. I like this because it really prevent tanning as well as sun burn while most of the product on the market only prevent sunburn. And the 25 spf can go a long way, I am in hawaii and i didn't even need to re-apply during the day. it's better than the Shiseido that I have used because it doesn't make my skin allergic and it doesn't leave a white cast. UPDATE: my skin had little bums after two weeks of use. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2011 10:39:00 AM More reviews by nyartemis

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this sunscreen. Yes, 25 seems low but studies have shown that it is really just as effective. I like the texture: on the dryer side and blends in with no greasy feel or shine . I use it all the time now and recommend this! I am on the old side around here but girls, use this in your twenties and avoid the alligator skin in your 40s and 50s!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by citygirlhardware

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using this ever since it came out and I love it just as much as I ever did!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2011 9:33:00 AM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this sunscreen since DHC discontinued it's SunCut sunscreen. Very liquidy and fluid in consistency which allows for easy application. I just wish it was spf 30 instead of 25. Does not break me out. I mix 1 scoop of my bare mineral foundation to make a great tinted moisturizer on days I don't have time to "swirl, tap and buff" my foundation on.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 5:46:00 PM More reviews by EffieH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using this sunscreen for several years now -- its rather expensive but I really only use it around my eyes because other sunscreens run into them and burn so I try to use only really gentle zinc based sunscreens around my eyes. This one is extra moisturizing so at my age, 54, I really appreciate that. So sad they are discontinuing it!! There are other sunscreens I can use around my eye area, but this has been my favorite.

UPDATE age 56: Appparently they did not discontinue it! I had switched to an OTC brand for a few months and noticed my eye area was starting to show wrinkles very badly, so I switched back to DHC white sunscreen and the wrinkles and crows feet all disappeared again! I never realized it was the DHC keeping them at bay! I won't be switching again!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2010 3:54:00 AM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

DHC is discontinuing this and I was able to stock up at half the price. Love the way it brightens my face and tones down any redness, making my pressed powder work so well. Blends easily and I never had any issues with dryness or breakouts. I'm going to miss this.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2010 1:01:00 PM More reviews by beann1210

The first thing I should say is that this sunscreen is certainly not for everyone, but it is perfect for me. A lot of sunscreens are too thick and make my face greasy accentuating the look of my pores. That makes my mineral makeup look horrible. This sunscreen is light and sinks into my skin beautifully. The thing I love most about this sunscreen is the fact that it casts a slight white tint. I have problems with my face being red. The whitness of this sunscreen is the only thing I've found that helps with this problem. It covers the red perfectly and all day. It makes my face into the perfect canvas for my make-up. However, this white tint is also the reason that it wouldn't be a good sunscreen for a lot of people.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No