The Body Shop Colourings Lip Scuff

3.0

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 7/27/2014 9:27:00 AM

I understand how this product has such a mix of reviews, it's a love or hate type product.

Overall, I think a brief and gentle rub of a toothbrush over my lips when brushing my teeth is just as effective but this is an ok splurge item.

The thing I like most is the mint smell, but it's not enough to justify the expense once this runs out.

It makes my lips a little smoother, but nothing a toothbrush can't do.

I apply it dry, gently rub then remove with a tissue then apply balm but I've heard other people use a different method. The thing to remember is it's not a balm, it's not meant to be moisturising it's meant to be a lip scuff.

on 2/15/2014 1:41:00 PM

If I forget to drink enough water (particularly at work and on dry days), then I tend to get some flaking on my lips. I bought this lip scuff to try and help with the flakes before I put on lipstick.For me, while the scuff succeeded in lifting the dry flaps off, it didn't do so completely, so I ended up with loads of flakes across my lips when I only started with one!

I tried all the different ways that different reviewers here have said worked for them. Even after scrubbing, wiping with tissue, scrubbing again, wiping etc. I ended up having to pick off all the flakes one by one otherwise my lips would be a complete mess. By the end of each session, my lips were so sore and tender that even putting lip balm on hurt.

On the plus side, I did notice my lips were noticeably softer which is nice, but I bought it to help with removing flakes, which it just wasn't very good at. Packaging is neat and nice-looking, but I had to wipe the scuff after every use to get rid of dead skin, which made me feel like I was losing a lot of product and so losing quite a lot of money given how much it cost! All in all, I'm not a happy customer and I will be looking elsewhere.

Tldr - great for softening lips, terrible if you have flaky (but not superdry) lips.

on 9/23/2013 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I love it! This removes the flaky skin from my lips, but moisturises and massages as well! Perfect for the problem it is trying to solve!

The granules are small enough that they don't hurt my lips but big enough to exfoliate thoroughly.

I use it in the bathroom before I shower so I can scrub away the whitish tinge that comes from the moisturiser.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wish people had the experience with this stuff like I have had. I have been using this since it first came out. It's the ONLY exfoliater that I truly, truly like. I have tried others, and they seem to dry my lips big time. I use this every day, and I feel it is a MUST if you wear Matte lip colors. I apply it in a circular motion and tissue off, then apply my Cherry Carmex and finish my face.
The Body Shop often has great promotions (buy one, two or three, get one or two free, for example). And now they occasionally do promotions with Groupon where you spend $10, get $10 free and you can combine the offers. So I usually get at least 3 tubes for around $12.

on 4/18/2013 6:48:00 AM

My lips easily dried out,and this product is one of the easy solution to it. It takes away most of the dry flaky parts on the lips,but do not imagine that your lips are going to be silky smooth after that. Several times of using will probably do. Combine it with a good lip balm and dry lips won't be much of a problem. Good price too.

on 1/23/2013 8:21:00 AM

I've wanted to try this product for quite a while but reading the bad reviews had put me off. I went to The Body Shop in an outlet near by and they were offering 40% off if you bought 4 items. I had initially gone in to try their BB cream, which is 12 here in the UK, and I picked up a couple of their Hemp Moisture High Balms as they were on sale at 1, which basically meant if I bought the Lip Scuff too it'd practically be almost free because of the 40% off, so I picked it up.

Okay, so my first impressions where that the packaging feels and looks very cheap, but I was hoping the product quality would compensate for that. I have VERY dry lips all year round and usually resort to the toothbrush method to remove the dead skin, but this often leaves my lips sore and bleeding, and that leads to them being even more dry so I wanted to try something else.

This product smells wonderful, it almost smells good enough to eat. It has a gorgeous, soothing minty fragrance, and as for if the product actually works... It has definitely improved my dry lips, more than what I'd expect from an application that feels quite gentle. I was quite surprised at how much of a difference a few applications has made. It didn't remove ALL of the dead skin on my lips, but I think a few more application will do the trick. It certainly is a more gentle way of gradually removing the dryness.

If it came to paying the full price for this product in the future, I would deffinately repurchase this item.

on 6/7/2011 5:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I also don't understand the negativity about this product, I love it! It takes away all the flaky/dead bits of my lips without damaging my lips (as scrubbing with a tooth brush sometimes does with me). I also love the packaging, I see a lot of lip scrubs in little cans (like lip balms) a lot and they don't seem usefull to me at all.
I've also got the Lip Care of The Body Shop and I put it on after I used the Lip Scuff and my lips have never feeled softer! I recommend using this every other day.
I will definitely repurchase!

on 3/13/2011 8:49:00 AM

I generally love The Body Shop products but was not impressed with this. I used it every night before applying a lip treatment but the flaky lips remain! Now that it's finished, I'll go back to using a soft toothbrush and good old Vaseline which gave far better results.

on 2/28/2011 2:29:00 AM

Dead skin on my lips really bother me even though I am a liberal lip balm user and always keeps my lips smooth. I use this every other night before I shower or when I notice there is dead skin on my lips. I rub this on my lips and then rub my lips together and wipe it with a tissue. It does not really exfoliate because I still see dead skin on my lips when I wipe with the tissue. I'd rather use Lush's lip scrub which tastes delicious and actually works better than this Lip Scuff. Tried it once, and I already bought another lip scrub. Will not be repurchasing...

on 1/14/2011 12:05:00 AM

I would definitely buy this again I stumbled upon it on accident when I went in for a sale and how I was surprised. This stuff does the job that Mary Kay lip satin wishes it could do and is so much easier to use. I just throw it on every morning before work and then apply some balm as soon as I get on the road. Too bad it's a little pricey.

Popular Lip Treatments