July 26, 2014 | 1800 users online

Fragrances - Escada - Escada

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 9:50:00 PM More reviews by ellizam

This was given to me as a gift, and it was a brilliant choice. Escada is one of the balancer fragrances. It is spicy, clean musk, floral, and sweet all at the same time. At different stages in the drydown, different aspects dominate, but the whole works so brilliantly that even a confirmed coconut hater like me can love this.

To start, it is so clean smelling that when I've had a long, grubby day, this is delicious after that lifesaver shower. If you need to have clean clean clean in your nose, Escada will fill the bill nicely with it's warmly clean musk and oakmoss. But it also has a lovely jasmine heart and the florals are warm and cheerful. The spice comes the carnation and ylang-ylang, primarily. The sweetness has more the feel of vanilla and heliotrope to me. If I look for the coconut (not that I ever would!) it can be parsed, but it doesn't take over (as coconut is so unfortunately wont to do).

I should also address the other problematic note: tuberose. It is here, but again, the other notes manage to subdue it completely. There are occasional whiffs of 80's big shoulder tuberose, and it's the worst thing I can say about this fragrance. But the whiffs are rare and are pulled into the movement of the fragrance as a whole in a way that almost reconciles one to 80's tuberose.

I find the sillage loud at first, but it settles into intimacy in about 10 minutes and lasts forever. The scent of this on bedsheets in the morning is beyond beautiful. There's nothing about this fragrance I don't like - even the tuberose whiffs manage to work here. An amazingly complex peice of perfumery.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2011 1:59:00 PM More reviews by kami8610

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I put dirt cheap because this was a sample.

This fragrance didn't stand out to me. Boring florals mangled together. Seems to be what a lot of women like though so, maybe its a popular one.

I gave it a two because its only pro was that it wasnt too strong and chemically. It is a subtle tasteful floral.

But still cheap smelling and not my style at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2010 6:04:00 AM More reviews by Perfumefan

This review is for the original Escada Eau de Toilette from 1990, the clear heart shaped bottle with the gold cap. It comes in a red box with gold lettering that just reads 'Escada', and has gold garlands on the side. It smells exactly the same as Escada 'Margaretha Ley', which also comes in a red/gold garlanded box.

Escada smells nothing like the sugary sweet fruity limited editions Escada releases every year. While those are certainly nice and playful summer scents, this is more of a year round perfume for a grown up woman. Not necessarily a mature woman, BTW. I think practically anyone with a bit of personality can pull this scent off. It all depends on the right dosage; it's a perfume that has presence and stays with you all day. Even with the EdT you have to be careful not to overspray, especially in hot weather. I use one spray in warm weather, two sprays on cool days. If I go out for the night I use my purse atomizer to refresh.

I'd call it a classic, but a truly timeless one. You know how some classics can be seen as outdated? I'm talking about Giorgio, Red Door and the likes. After two decades Escada still smells modern and edgy, I find. It has the same kind of timeless appeal as Givenchy Amarige and Chloe Narcisse. Although all three are completely different scents, they are distinctive powerhouse florals, not for the faint of heart. Out of those three, Escada is the easiest to wear, I think.

The fragrance opens with fresh citrus notes, hyacinth and a dash of coconut. Ten minutes later it gets lush and tropical, with ylang ylang flowers, frangipani, tuberose and the spicy, clovey scent of carnation. In the ultimate drydown I smell sweet, creamy, non-foody vanilla on a soft veil of sandalwood and musk. A well executed warm exotic floral that leaves a subtle trail behind.

The 'official' topnotes are: coconut, asafoetida, mandarin orange, peach, hiacynth and bergamot.
Heartnotes: carnation, tuberose, iris, orange blossom, jasmine, ylang-ylang, frangipani and narcissus.
Basenotes: sandalwood, musk, oakmoss, vanilla, heliotrope and cedar.

I feel confident and sexy when I wear this, and complete strangers (men and women) have been following me, *demanding* what I'm wearing because it smells so 'incredibly beautiful', lol! And one of my male co-workers always leans in to sniff me, how cute is that. :)

Anyway, if you want to smell 'different' and utterly feminine, like a bouquet of heady tropical flowers infused with just the right amount of sweetness and softness, this is for you.

The only drawback is the price: on vacation in Europe I bought the 3.4 fl. oz. bottle for 76 euros, which is almost $100. A little goes a long way though, so this bottle will probably last me forever. All in all this intoxicating scent is definitely worth the price!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2010 7:09:00 PM More reviews by kdm1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this fragrance. It is a spring fragrance IMO. The initial spray is bright and floral, the middle is kinda' harsh. The final fragrance is a pleasant floral that would be good for a summer evening out or wedding. I did receive a compliment on this fragrance from a friend. She said I smelled clean and fresh. That sealed it for me. It is a keeper.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2010 5:44:00 PM More reviews by nathaliez

waowww I thought I was back in the eighties!! very strong, with a powdery carnation note..I didnt like it one bit!!! my husband thought it smelled like an old lady, I have to agree that this is the way most used to smell back then...it is going fo ra swap.cant stand it!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2009 11:56:00 PM More reviews by Jadetive

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Initial spray: Jasmine and musk
After 15 mins: Spicy jasmine, musk and sandalwood

This is a rather masculine scent. I don't like jasmine, but even for someone who loves jasmine, this fragrance isn't particularly complex nor refined. And the drydown smells like cold plastic. Sigh.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/20/2006 10:57:00 PM More reviews by mrlincoln

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is for the mint green bottle. There are too many notes going on in this scent. I can't even pin point what catogory to put it in. It has a borring stale note that dominates. It could be the cucumber note mixed with pepper? I don't know. Try again Escada, the packaging is really cute, but the juice is not worthy.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/22/2005 8:34:00 PM More reviews by nancy_183

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I received a sample of this perfume from Sephora. I tried it on my wrist and all I can say is that it's not bad but not a fragrance I would buy for myself. It was a bit strong... I don't mind strong fragrances, depending on what they smell like. This perfume seems like the type that will give me a headache if I overdo it. However, I will finish my sample because there are somethings I like about this fragrance, maybe it's the warmth from the vanilla or sandalwood... I'm not sure. Alas, just not enough chemistry between us to buy it! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2005 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Suzy_h

I love this scent. It is a warm floral that reminds me of Must de Cartier(the one in the red leather, the EDP, ack they always confuse me because they have a similar one that smells awful). Here are the notes according to Sephora:

Bergamot, Black Currant, Leafy Greens, Cucumber, Italian Lemon, Sea Breeze Accord, Freesia, Honeydew, Magnolia, Jasmine, Muguet, Rose, Orange Blossom, Peony, Amber, Musk, Nectarine, Vanilla, Orris, Patchouli, Sandalwood.

It is ladylike, with a touch of powder, yet still warm and sensual. I love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2005 10:54:00 PM More reviews by TempTess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is rating the brand new version of Escada's signature perfume that is new in stores. I absolutely love it, and can't wait to get more. I don't see how anyone can say this smells the same as the 1990 version. To me, that smelled like Red Door. This smells much better, and very sophisticated. LOVE it!