November 28, 2014 | 1308 users online

Powder - Alison Raffaele - Mineral Powder Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2008 10:37:00 PM More reviews by azn_babay_kat

Completely agree with the reviwer below, this is not meant to be a med-full coverage foundation, and they even suggest you wear it on top of their foundation on the instructions.

I had a horrible reaction to BE, my skin broke out in hives and was itchy as hell. I was definitely allergic to the bismuth in BE. The SA told me that the Skin Alison Raffaele is bismuth free, and upon reading the ingredients, it basically contains mica, oxides and parabens.

On its own, this powder foundation gives light-med coverage, and I layer it on top of MUFE face and body to tone down the dewyness (which looks simply oily in the summer) and to add more of a natural sheen. Both combined together gives me medium but very natural coverage. This replaces a translucent powder when I need a little more coverage. Comparing to BE, this is less metallic looking and definitely has a better color range

The packaging is exactly the same as BE, i really wish they would come out with better packaging for mineral foundations because it's hard to get just the right amount of product on the brush with a sifter and loose powder.

FYI, I am a NC30-35, MUFE F&B #34 and I use #4 in this. #5 is quite deep yellow and I doubt anyone that has remotely neutral skintone can pull it off. I notice a little oxidation at the end of the day.. but nothing too noticeable, but taking one lippie off for that. I would definitely suggest this mineral foundation to people who have problems with BE, EM (does not contain bismuth but for some reason broke me out) and would like something a little higher quality than drugstore products. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2007 2:20:00 PM More reviews by mascaraismycrack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm a really big fan of mmu since my esthetician noticed that my skin is so much healthier than her clients who use liquid, etc. I'm still on the search for the perfect mmu but this one is not it. I read great reviews about Alison in mags but this product was just awful. No coverage, colors were awful and for the price you only get a small amount. I will never purchase any of her products again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2007 9:18:00 PM More reviews by fuzzylumps

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Claim to Fame: Our Mineral Powder offers a sheer, natural looking matte coverage that evens out the skintone and blurs minor imperfections.The Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide in this exclusive formula naturally offer numerous skin care benefits: they help calm and soothe irritated skin, they help to balance out excess oil production, and they provide natural protection against UVA/UVB rays.
Get Real: Overall, it's... eh. I could take it or leave it. I don't really notice any difference when I wear this. I have the To Go Brush, and when I tap the brush to get the powder out, hardly anything comes up! I've resorted to opening up the contraption and dabbing a brush inside the minuscule pot. Not what I call convenient, but it's the only way I can get a substantial amount to come out. Even so, as I said, it doesn't make a huge difference, or any noticeable difference for that matter.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2007 2:00:00 PM More reviews by MommaMayhann

I brought this a few months ago @ the Cherry Hill Sephora. I went with all the intentions of purchasing a BE starter kit. My mother uses BE and just RAVES about it. She also has virtually flawless skin and more yellow undertones than I have. I am a medium brown with a few fairly new dark marks from a recent MAJOR breakout... An early gift of pregnancy. That being said... The color dude @ Seph warned me that BE has a tendency to give darker skin a bluish hue. His exact words were "It turns most sister-girls into grapes." LOL! Well he was dead on. I was indeed grapish. Then he showed me the AR skin. Not the coverage of BE. But no essence of grape either. (Apparently it's the SPF in BE that causes this) The AR Skin feels great on . Very light and airy. The color match was pretty dead on. The price is a little silly though. So I will definitely keep searching to find the right one. I am still trying to find a concealer that works. Feel free to offer up any suggestions.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2006 4:05:00 PM More reviews by noonanke1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Okay people, you can't just buy a product and not know what is, and expect it to give you whatever kind of results you want. This is in no way MEANT to be a full coverage foundation. If you notice they have a liquid foundation for that. It is NOT comparable to Bare Minerals. The minerals in this foundation are air milled to be spherical, there for you can NOT build the coverage. It is meant to be used over the True Concealer (which is the best concealer on the market by far) it gives a tinted moisturizer level of coverage. I am a Color Expert in Sephora SoHo, and this is a fatastic product for people with sensative or breakout prone skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2006 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Product: Skin Alison Raffaele Mineral Powder Foundation.
Shade: 1 (fair with neutral undertones) & 2 (fair with neutral/ golden undertones).
Skin Type: Combo/ Sensitive & acne-prone.
Skin Coloring: Fair/ Light with slight yellow undertones.

I had bought the Flawless Skin essentials kit in Light. It includes two shades of foundation, two shades of her True Concealer (read review), a concealer brush, the To-Go brush (holds the powder in the handle of the brush) and a spatula for mixing shades.

PROS: Nice, light feeling. Perfect as a finishing powder for concealer or liquid foundation. I adore the To-Go brush! I like how you are given two shades to blend together for a perfect match. No breakouts.

CONS: Light coverage. If you have a major discoloration, the powder must be put on in layers which, even when you are careful, can result in a cakey look. Wears off very fast, could be my skin, but wore off after two hours (sitting at my desk!). Will not re-purchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2006 8:30:00 AM More reviews by hersheyb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Simply put, this mineral foundation just doesn't cover, although it would make a nice powder over a liquid foundation. I bought number 3 which turned orange on me. Sephora's was very nice about taking it back.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2006 12:56:00 AM More reviews by delia56

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm suprised by the reviews on this product. When I first bought this at Sephora, I planned on buying Bare Minerals, but none of the tones matched my skin color. The saleslady said that Bare Minerals had some ingredient that turns metallicy on some people and I so happen to be one of the unlucky few. So, she showed me Skin and it blended with my skin. I like the fact that it looks very natural on my skin. It's not heavy coverage but if you want the natural look I highly recommend this stuff. I haven't broken out with this stuff and it doesn't make my face orangy. It's fresh looking and feels clean on my face. I will definately stick with this. =)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2006 7:22:00 PM More reviews by stonewin82

I've never written a review before, but I just HAD TO considering that this is the worst mineral foundation I have ever used! I bought it at Sephora on a whim...I've been using Bare Minerals for several years now, but their lightest shade is just a *tad* bit too dark for me. I saw this line by Alison Raffaele and figured I'd give it a go, to see if it was a better match for my skin. Not only does it look ORANGE on, it provides less coverage than loose powder! And let's face it, anyone who turns to a mineral foundation is looking for coverage without the heaviness of liquid foundations. Not only was the coverage barely there, I looked in the mirror about two hours after I had put it on, and it had practically disappeared! I will be taking this product right back to Sephora, and sticking with good old Bare Minerals...

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2006 9:38:00 PM More reviews by hepgal13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I didn't think this was the greatest, but it certainly wasn't the worst, either. Not shiny and itchy like BE, but also like BE, no good option for fair skin. The Skintone 1 is very nice texture and consistency when applied with a basic powder brush (I use Jane Iredale's Handi), but looks too thick when applied with a kabuki. It is also a bit too deep for my fair skin, but is a nice yellow base with absolutely no peach or orange undertones. I wouldn't buy it again, but I'll use what I have ( with some color correcting, that is)...