April 17, 2014 | 881 users online

Eye Shadow - Stila - Rain Eyeshadow

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by rmt2104

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this eyeshadow! I actually have a hard time finding a taupe eyeshadow that doesn't make me look sick or dirty, but this one looks great applied dry or wet. I prefer applying it wet though, because it makes the color and lasting power is better. It comes pretty damn close to HG status.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2012 6:28:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

Eh? I'm not feeling the love with this one. I adore Stila shadows and own lots of them, but this Rain color is just dull. Kind a dirty matte taupe brown, and not really dark enough to work well as a crease shade. Even with primer, it seemed to disappear immediately. I'll keep trying, but it's done nothing dazzling so far.
ETA: It's growing on me. I like it best as an all-over lid shade worn alone and smudged a bit under my lower lashes. It's got such gray undertones, that it reads as a nice, midtone neutral.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by Katrinket

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

oooooh....... I love this. It's a very unusual color, I have nothing like it. As the last reviewer said, it's a mix of gray and brown (dark taupe) with a purplish undertone. It's gorgeous in the crease, goes well with sun, kitten, starlight, brings out my green/hazel eyes. It looks dark in the pan, but I can wear this during the day in the crease. Can also be used on the lid for a smokey eye for evening. Really a lovely and interesting color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2010 5:17:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm not sure why many are saying that Rain is discontinued, because it's still on the Stila site, as well as on Sephora and Drugstore.com. Stila must have brought Rain back, very fortunately for me!

I bought Rain after finding that though I liked the color of Kalahoo, a mineral matte, its earthy scent wreaked havoc with my allergies. I'd heard that Rain is a similar color, different formula, so I went for it.

Enough babbling. I love Rain! The pigmentation *could* be a little better, but it's good enough.

And the COLOR!

Rain is a uniquely gorgeous mixture of gray, brown, and purple-y plum. It's almost like a matte version of Viola, which I love when I'm in the mood for shimmer.

Back to subject: I'm sitting here, turning my Rain every which way, trying to figure out what the heck color this stuff really is!

That sounds bad, I know, but complexity is something I highly prize in an eyeshadow.

I must say, the texture of Rain, while still short of silky smooth, is better than that of Kalahoo.

For once, I'm glad of Stila's huge pans, because I adore this color, and can't think of another shadow, in any line, that comes close to being a dupe for this (except Kalahoo, which I can't wear). MAC Blackberry might be remotely similar, but only remotely. I love this stuff! I can't wait to try it with shades like MAC Velour, MAC Copperplate, Stila Kamet, and MAC Yogurt, and watch my bright green eyes go POP POP POP! ;)

rated 1 of 5 on 8/1/2010 8:54:00 PM More reviews by jengirl_714

I got this product, and I guess I got a dud because I can't pick up any color with my brush. The only way I can get any color is on my finger if I smudge it around in the pan for awhile. It's a pretty cool tone taupe on my finger, too bad I can't put it on my eyes. The texture feels rougher than other Stila eyeshadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2009 1:51:00 PM More reviews by stilagirl9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you're looking for a good dupe for this color, try Kalahoo from Stila's mineral matte line. The formulation and texture are different, however.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2008 8:42:00 PM More reviews by rochas2

It is way too bad they discontinued this. This awesome dull brown would make anyones eyes look otherworldly. I just hope I can find something exactly like this as I am about to run out. )-: EDIT: MAC Copperplate is similar, but Rain is darker and more saturated, still haven't found a great dupe for this, which is crazy since it seems like such a basic color, I'll try Handwritten.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2007 1:13:00 AM More reviews by brockinbeats

Dark plummy brown in the pan, taupe grey cocoa brown when applied. It is so soft and beautiful on, I love it paired with Fog to lighten it up. The shadow is very soft, almost velvety creamy and I love that it's matte. They are perfect together for lightly smoky eyes - you get the definition and a bit of the appeal of smoky eyes but nobody will really notice that you actually have smoky eyes on. Genius, yes ;)? The key to unlocking the pigment is to scratch the surface with something sharp (I used my Tweezerman) - I don't know how, but the colour payoff is greater after that. This technique has worked for both Fog and Rain. I would absolutely re-purchase it, too bad it's discountinued.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2007 4:58:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I can't believe Stila has discontinued this. I've got several Stila shades and this would be the most versatile. Because it's a matte brown/grey it goes with neutral shades but also with greens, blues, greys and pinks. It's also great just in the crease on its own for a casual look. I find I reach for it every day - Stila had better bring it back because I'm going to be bereft when it runs out!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2007 4:23:00 AM More reviews by princessrose

I decided to buy this of StrawberryNet after reading the excellent reviews on MUA. Whilst it is excellent in texture and pigment like all Stila eyeshadows, I must confess I am not sure about the colour on me. My favourite Stila brownish/nude eyeshadow is Twig but I thought it would be good to have a matte shadow also. Anyway it looks a little drab actually and not quite dark enough on me. Having said that I will still use it and perhaps it may work better matched with other colours.