October 21, 2014 | 1236 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Loving Care ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2011 5:47:00 PM More reviews by tmds4maggy

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used Natural Instinct's I don't understand how you compare Loving Care to it!!!
    I've used Loving Care since I was a teen. Natural Instinct's is inconvenient. Also, it doesn't leave the shine like Loving Care.
    I would love to have Loving Care again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2011 11:40:00 PM More reviews by grace9797

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Loving Care has been discontinued. There are a couple similar products made by Clairol at Sally, and I'm really hoping Clairol doesn't take those off the market too. All the hair coloring products that require mixing are too rough on my hair. Even the stronger (more gray coverage) of the two similar products at Sally is really a bit too harsh. The reasoning behind these strong, damaging dyes is a mystery to me: one has to color often because of roots, and Loving Care really did cover gray if used regularly -- AND IT WAS NON-DAMAGING & NATURAL-LOOKING. I'd rather just go gray than have flat color & badly damaged hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2011 12:23:00 AM More reviews by rallu

My hair is light-medium brown, wanted to have black hair for a day and got this in natural black. It came out dark brown - natural black. It was ok and I got what I wanted but it started to wash out immediately. I've used a clarifying shampoo and my hair was back to normal in 2-3 washes.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/31/2010 5:23:00 AM More reviews by hehers

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

it's more to fit for young people~~~~~~

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2010 3:31:00 PM More reviews by lizzy666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I use this in Auburn. I naturally have dirty blonde hair, darker in the winter, lighter in the summer. I started dying my hair red several years ago with permanent color, it was destroying my hair. I looked more like a frizzy haired clown than a red headed vixen. So I decided to try loving care because my roots kind of adapt when they grow in to whatever color my hair is dyed, and I don't have grays. I also have very thick, curly hair. I leave it in for 45 minutes to let it really sink in, and it washes out easily. It leaves my hair healthy looking, with a great natural red color. The color fades in about 2 weeks for me, but it fades gracefully. I've been using it for the past year every month or so, and now my hair is back to good health. My mother also uses this to keep her red vibrant, but uses a level three for her roots so she does minimal damage. It used to be around 3 bucks a bottle but now it's around 7.99 by me. Kind of pricey for a semi but I stock up when it's on sale. Overall, I recommend it, especially if you're trying to get your healthy hair back without compromising color.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2010 12:22:00 PM More reviews by nutloaf

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

No, it won't totally cover gray. My hair is dark brown with about 30 percent gray. I've used most of the different tones available over the years and loved Smokey Ash Brown, but unfortunately they discontinued it, and the other brown shades tend to look too brassy for me. After some experimentation I have lately begun combining two of the remaining shades. I initially saturated my hair with the lightest: Beige Blonde, which turned the gray a nice light golden color, making my hair look highlighted. For a while (about a month or so) I reapplied it every week due to its lightness and tendency to leach out in a hurry but some would stay in so it piled up a little and started to look a bit too brassy, like the other shades. Thereafter, I've been doing that about once a month but adding just a squirt or two of the darkest shade: Natural Black, as a drabber, after thoroughly saturating my hair with the Beige Blond and combing the black through lightly. This peculiar combination actually produces beautiful highlights without the brassy overtone that you get so often with most of the shades available in this product line. Many folks have remarked on how natural it looks when I have told them I color my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2010 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Dawni

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I find Loving Care does a great job for me. My hair is naturally brown but with about 25% grey now - maybe a bit more, hard to tell - and I use Loving Care to tone it in. I've used different shades just to see the effect and am using Light Brown at present, though in the past I've used Light Ash Brown and Medium Brown and very occasionally one of the blonde shades. The darker shades look a little bit too dark to begin with, but after a couple of washes my hair lightens up a bit. I find the darker shades take longer to fade, which is a bonus, but sometimes I'm not prepared to put up with the first week or two of slightly too-dark hair.

One of the reasons I use Loving Care nowadays is because of a bad experience with Clairol's Lasting Colour, the demi-permanent which is longer-lasting. Longer-lasting is fine, but in my case what happened was the brown shade faded quite quickly and left me with hair that had actually lightened up to a reddish shade (all of my hair, I mean, not just the grey but the brown as well). It specifically said on the Lasting Colour package that it wouldn't lighten hair, but in my case the hair DID lighten, from brown up to red/orange - horrible! I presume this was because of the peroxide in the Lasting Colour, which while maybe not as strong as that in permanent colour must have been enough to lighten my hair to reddish tones. Thank goodness Loving Care has no peroxide because if it had then I'd be very reluctant to use it.

So overall I'm very pleased with Loving Care; it colours my grey (I leave it on 45-60 minutes), leaves my hair shiny and silky, one bottle is just enough for my shoulder length hair and it last through about 6 shampoos. It's not expensive and no messier than any other home hair colour and it doesn't annoy my scalp (another big plus for me, as my scalp tends to be sensitive). My hair is left looking very natural, with absolutely none of that dreadful 'helmet' effect that some other hair colour products produce.

PS For those who say it didn't work for them: just a thought, but do make sure your hair is free from such things as mousse or hair spray as that might stop the colour from being fully absorbed. And I find that leaving it on for a longer time, maybe an hour, gets me the best result.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2010 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Kathy123

Well, for a semi-permanent color, this is not bad at all but the claims made about covering all grays are all false. My grays are stuborn but whose are not? This covered some grays but not all. In fact, the hair around my ears remained as bright as florescent light bulbs. I wash my hair twice a week. By the third day (after the application) that I was about to wash my hair, I noticed that the color had already faded. 6 to 12 shampoo claim is also false...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 5:52:00 PM More reviews by linnieola

I really love this stuff! I used Color Charm (by Wella) and was disappointed w/ it from the start--I am 36 and have wiry resistant grays at the temples. It made no change. 2 wks later I decided to try the Loving Care to get me through to my next haircut (I have short hair so I get it cut frequently). It worked perfectly--I left the cap on for a good 30 mins and then took it off but left the color on for another 30, as another reviewer suggested. The grays are barely noticeable, hair is soft after the conditioner. I believe the color I chose was the lightest brown. Highly recommended! Last thing: I measured out 1/2 of the 3oz bottle to make it work 2x (b/c of my short hair I can do that). Worked perfectly!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2009 2:12:00 AM More reviews by gracie97

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used this for several years after I first started getting a few gray hairs, then switched to stronger stuff.

Just recently went back to Loving Care. My hair tends to be dry, dull, frizzy, and with yellowish undertones, and the stronger coloring products made all those problems worse. Using Loving Care seems to have improved all those problems.

I don't mind that LC doesn't cover all my gray or cover it very well: It doesn't look realistic not to have some gray at my age, and the LC helps it blend in better, usually just looking like highlights for a couple weeks after coloring. Good-looking, healthy hair is more important to me than perfect gray coverage.

LC never leaves me with the flat look of other, stronger products.

It seems to actually improve the condition of my hair and give it shine.

The little packet of conditioner was much improved while I was using other stuff! It makes my hair shiny and full and soft, and I wish they sold it separately so I could use it every time I color.

I use the dark brown and even black shades on my roots every few weeks. The product stains hair with repeated use, so I don't color all my hair often, but when I do I use the light ash brown.

(My natural color is medium brown with orange tones that have never looked good with my pale cool pink skin tone.)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No