September 17, 2014 | 940 users online

Fragrances - Annick Goutal - Ce Soir Ou Jamais

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 8:20:00 PM More reviews by AliciaLago

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Like most perfumes, this can be amazing or plainly "blah" depending one's skin. In mine, this rose scent transforms into something so complex and at the same time easy to like, not overpowering, not "oldie". It does for me very much like Jardin de Bagatelle (not that there is any real resemblance). It takes me away to a sunny sunshine summer day in my childhood, so full of promises and fun, not a care in the world and a heart always ready for some new wonderful thing to discover. It evoques a white sand, quiet beach, floating in the blue sea looking at the intense blue sky above. I know, this does not help to describe the smell. I just can say that this is the one parfume that makes me happy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 9:23:00 AM More reviews by mysterious_scent

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Winy rose. Very sugary, very sweet in the openning but gladly it turns into a soft powdery rosy scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2011 1:23:00 PM More reviews by airubgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This opens with a very heady rose, large and voluptuous, at the peak of it's fragrance. As it dries down it softens into a powdery rose with the hibiscus making a brief and tangy note during the heart of this perfume, but that fades away all to quickly in my opinion. After the hibiscus leaves there is a bit of something sweet that mixes with the rose but nothing much to remark on with my chemistry, it becomes a very vintage scent on me. Though it is a pretty rose, it is to old fashioned for my taste

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2011 1:05:00 PM More reviews by marieckim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this in Paris at the Annick Goutal boutique on Rue Bellechase after a day at the Musee d'Orsay. I really love this because it reminds me of the Impressionist paintings I saw at the museum. It reminds me of history and romanticism.

Of course, my shopping experience was wonderful and this is probably very different from how most people tried this fragrance in Sephora or a department store. I walked into the boutique and the lady who was working in the store was SO nice and patient with me. She spoke English with a French accent and she was so gracious.

When I first smelled the scent, I didn't even think it was rose-based. I thought it could be jasmine. It just smelled good. On my skin it smells warm and flowery with a touch of honey and amber.

I'm kind of happy that so many other people seem to hate this scent. It's not sweet like candy or food, and it won't make your mouth water. It doesn't scream "teenager" or "sex." It's a thoughtful, intelligent fragrance. It's a fragrance that feels rare and unique and makes me feel more cultured wearing it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2011 5:06:00 PM More reviews by unchu

When I first smelled this, I thought it was lily of the valley . As minutes passed, I now smell roses, the kind that is dried and packed in plastic. it is not fresh cut roses. something in this smells like potporrie .

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2010 6:07:00 PM More reviews by iodine

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am grateful to the MUAer who provided me with a generous decant of this great scent. I smell roses and bourbon, sweet with a kick! Then it knocks down to a sparkle of a bit of the wild side, dangerous unless you know how to make her melt in your arms. Not your tea rose, but perhaps one by Ed Hardy, only he didn't come up with it, LOL

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Several Christmases ago, Sephora packed a sample of Ce Soir ou Jamais into my order. The sample was the eau de toilette formulation and I found it intoxicating and as close as one could come to a rose absolute.

Figuring richer is better, I bought eau de parfum and then rarely wore it. EdP was rose petals and leaves macerating in a good quality Bordeaux. So winey was the EdP that I found it difficult to wear; the wine and rose together seemed tannic, and when this was joined by the green notes the composition went sharp and never quite settled.

I recently picked up a bottle of eau de toilette and am happily reunited with the sensation that I had when I first smelled Ce Soir ou Jamais--carefully adulterated rose with a complex, spicy/musky undertone.

Although it was claimed that 160 essences went into its creation, Ce Soir seems more reductive than that number would indicate. In EdT, the rose is front and center, touched very minimally by the red wine note. A light fizziness lasts throughout the heart bouquet. The spiciness is mysterious. It seems closest to cinnamon's hot/dry qualities, but it is equally possible that it is nutmeg.

I do not normally care for fruity rose scents (Nahema a prime example), but the fruit notes in Ce Soir seem to be touched upon the scent's structure very carefully. Very little sweetness is involved (compare to Nahema, where on me the sweet passionfruit dominates) and, if anything, the pear note is an unripened d'Anjou, still with some sourness in place of ripened fleshiness. Cassis isn't noticeable.

Ambrette seed stands in for musk here, perhaps with addition of an Atlas cedar note. As Ce Soir dries, and quite remarkably, I do not lose anything of the whole. This doesn't mean that Ce Soir is linear, it is simply that as each component introduces itself, it stays attached through to the basenotes. Ce Soir is somewhat like Feminite du Bois as it approaches the base, although the comparison might seem far-fetched, and yet it places Ce Soir firmly into the "neo-chypre" category, which is one I like very much.

Unlike F. Malle's gloriously ripe Une Rose, Ce Soir's rose seems to be a rose with withering edges. A slight effect of decay reminds me of Patou 1000, although without the vase full of murky water that holds 1000's bouquet.

Although clearly marketed as romantic fragrance, Ce Soir is far from that notion. There is nothing winsome about it, and neither is it a lusty rose or even a sexy one. In fact, it seems to have a quirky remove to it, in the same way Feminite du Bois does--it's a rose not for lovers but a rose for the covert eccentric.

continued >>

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2009 9:04:00 PM More reviews by 9154mf

For someone who likes rose scents I imagine this would please them. I don't like it. It opened with a superquick boozy hint, then out came the rose, fullbodied and intense, like a bunch of fresh red roses. I can smell some fruit lingering in the background like peach or pear, and the rose has just the tiniest hint of powder. To me this is just floral and boring, smells OK but totally forgettable.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2009 3:49:00 PM More reviews by annadyl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Really beautiful beautiful perfume. As usual this does not last.Why why why can't I find a rose perfume that lasts longer than an hour? Any recommendations?...............................

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2009 6:28:00 AM More reviews by Nimue76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Sumptuous rose, with a hint of ripe pears. Irresistible.