October 24, 2014 | 1989 users online

Eye Shadow - Chantecaille - eye shade

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2011 2:12:00 PM More reviews by plrg

I have 8 of the Chantecaille eyeshadows (Perle, Shell, Coriander, Meterorite, Sel, and 3 from the New Classics collection) in refills in the customizable Ma Palette. As the review notes below, these shadows are light, delicate, and suitable for elegant (not dramatic) looks. If you buy the refills, you can pop them in and out of a palette quite easily using a pin. You do have to be very careful though because the shadows are so delicate!

One thing I have to add though is that the pans are huge. If you like a lot of product, you'll be happy, but (because I'm extremely fickle) I don't see myself finishing any of the shadows. Many of the shadows are multi-tasking however, and lighter colors such as Perle and Shell can definitely be used as highlighters.

As a note, the pans are 36mm so if you buy refills, they won't fit into other palettes. The Chantecaille blushes are the same size though and a few other brands (Face Stockholm and EcoBella I think, though I'm not sure) do make 36mm palette holders.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2011 12:30:00 PM More reviews by skwpt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

If you're looking for pigmented, high-impact eye color, you can stop reading now. If you're interested in exploring a philanthropic, well-edited line that offers luxe, long-wearing textures and stunning, natural colors, do check out the reviews in this topic.

Chantecaille eyeshadows are the most luxurious, wearable shadows I have ever owned. Nothing else I apply to my lids lets me achieve such subtle results that last all day without creasing. Even if a color is not something that naturally occurs on the skin around my eyes (e.g., Tanzanite or Lemongrass), the shadows blend seamlessly into the skin, show no harsh edges, and make my skin appear to glow from within. I often receive compliments, but no one ever says, "I love your eyeshadow." Instead I am told that I look well rested or pretty or that my eyes look very bright and clear.

I especially appreciate Chantecaille textures as my skin begins to lose elasticity, which can be limiting in the textures I select; frosts can be deadly. Not many other brands offer shine and iridescent shades that don't end up looking over-the-top glittery--or worse--powdery and chalky, but all three formulations of Chantecaille eyeshadows are beautiful, polished, and appropriate for all ages. Of course it makes sense that I would love this brand so much, since Sylvie Chantecaille also started Prescriptives, another well-edited line that once offered similar colors and textures.

Chantecaille is often criticized for being overpriced, and while some of its skincare and limited edition palettes are pricey, I disagree that it's much more expensive than other high-end brands. Each eyeshadow pan is quite large, and the refills are only $1 more than Bobbi Brown. Also, the limited edition compacts are a great deal, considering most come as a refillable x4 palette, so if you add up what each pan plus the compact would cost if you were to buy them a la carte, you'll often find the LE items are discounted up to 75%. The d'Olivia palette, for example, is a huge bargain.

I also realize this brand gets a lot of criticism for not being highly pigmented, but I prefer that. I appreciate that I can layer color in order to achieve a variety of looks that are as appropriate for full midday sun as for a party in low light. I also love the fact that many of the eyeshadows are multi-taskers. Perle Shine Eye Shade, for example, makes a magnificent cheekbone highlighter that blows Becca, Benefit, Cle de Peau, Trish McEvoy and others away; it stays put all day an doesn't scream PORES. My only criticism is that the colors seem more suited for the fair skinned. Women of color won't have as many options from within the line.

I've been wearing Chantecaille since 1997, and although other brands occasionally bubble to the top as my most reached-for brand, Chantecaille has always been in rotation, and the eyeshadows are all I wear now. Highly recommended for fair-to-medium toned women who like a subtle look, as well as those with eyelid skin that is less springy than it used to be. LOVE.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2010 5:16:00 PM More reviews by valantic

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This eye shadow is incredible! Expensive...yes...but worth it! First of all it's huge for a single eyeshadow, more the size of a blush compact, which is wonderful if you like to use it dry sometimes and wet at other times...plenty of room to keep wet application on one side and the other half always dry.
When used dry it' s very suble (but buildable) and wet it can be intense. Never any fallout and lasts all day for me without any primer!
I got it in jungle which is a beautiful green with golden hints...I like it so much I just ordered the Bengali pallett. In fact I just decided to get rid of most of my existing eye shadows...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2009 7:36:00 PM More reviews by katsoulis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ladies: I just want to write and say how exceptional Chantecaille is both in product and customer service. While I used to wear color from other lines, over the past two years I have been converted to Chantecaille because of their color and now I am a huge beleiver in their personal customer service. I had an issue with their NEW website and they went above and BEYOND to make it right. If you LOVE chantecaille, their website is a must see www.chantecaille.com and 877-673-7080. If you are not familiar with Chantecaille, go to your local store and look at the eye and cheek shades AND their tinted moisturizer (Just Skin) it may be a bit more expensive but a little goes a long way and I find the colors are more classy and last a lot longer than others....I even wear them without primers. I have tried Armani, Mercier, Chanel, etc. I am a high end cosmetics person and they are well worth it!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2008 10:37:00 PM More reviews by wmoyal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use rose quartz with bois for the crease, and the dark blue/purple (name unsure)? color for my eyeliner, and it's the happiest I have been about eye shadow texture and color in a looong time! I like LM also, but this is more finely milled, natural and beautiful in my opinion. Trish McEvoy and Bobbi Brown don't compare in my experience. Pricey but good amount for the price compared to the aforementioned brands. The colors are so gorgeous with a gold base. I use BB eye base which I am happy with in combo with these eyeshadows. I tried chanel eyebase underneath with less staying power. I would definately recommend! I have the compact... *To edit...I changed my review to 4 lippies, given I love the color and texture, but I would like them last longer...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2008 2:22:00 AM More reviews by shineone02

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This eye shadow feels really nice and smooth. It doesn't really leave a crease at the end of the day. The only bad thing is that it DOESN"T TRAVEL WELL. It brought the palette with me on vacation and some of the colors broke and crumbled in the case. It's so sad to see it break since they were brand new.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by mbg727

I think that Chantecaille's eye shadows are great. They are very sheer, and they are so easy to blend. It is the first shadow that I have used that I didn't have to use a separate blending brush for. I use Opal as a base and Bois in the crease. Everytime I go back to another shadow, I keep wishing I would have just used the Chantecaille. Plus, they last pretty much the whole day on me (not an easy feat.) I think the cases are great, too. The snap lids are always great because you don't have to worry about losing the lid, and if the shadow breaks (as has happened to me when I accidently dropped it), it keeps it contained without making a mess. I don't need to put it into a separate container.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2006 5:39:00 PM More reviews by ziebam

I dont really like these shadows. They are super pretty in the pans but the color payoff is lacking. NOt as pigmented as MAC or Stila or Smashbox. An individual shadow retails for $26 and comes in a silver compact with white translucent cover. Supposed to be able to be worn wet or dry and has ginseng to condition the skin. This also can be put in gorgeous silver palettes as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2005 12:31:00 AM More reviews by fortunatecookie

I really adore Chantecaille packaging. It is quite simple, but somehow unique. The pigment is very nice and last very long. The shimmer is added by use of crushed pearl. It is a very elegant eyeshadow. I have tried this in "Freesia" and it is a flattering color for anyone I think, especially Asians.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2004 5:13:00 PM More reviews by charlyne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Chantecaille e/s is expensive to buy in England. They cost around 20 GBP, certainly more expensive than GA which is 14 or 15 GBP. The thing is Chantecaille's shades are often easy to see, not complicated at all and just simple shades for you to blend in the complicated way you like. I think that's why they are very blendable and easy to pull off. Both my beloved Chantecaille, GA and Stila are very silky, but I'd say GA stands for the subtle kind of make up, Chantecaille is slightly more pigmented and Stila is pigmented and the choices are alot more. But qualitywise, Chantecaille and GA are really the best, the most silky and the most blendable.