August 1, 2014 | 1808 users online

Shampoo - Joico - K-Pak Reconstruct Shampoo for Dry or Damaged Hair

rated 1 of 5 on 5/8/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by sirenswin

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is review for the entire K-pak reconstructor line since I bought it in a whole set, 4 products - shampoo, conditioner and 2 types of masks to use alternatively.
It's true that after you use this shampoo your hair will be very dry and frail and it definitely needs a treatment, best from this line, to compensate somehow. After first uses my hair did feel smoother but it would get too oily very soon which is shocking for me since my hair is dry (naturally so and heat styles because it's curly).
My scalp would get itchy and oily which is also news to me.After the stylist noticed this too I decided to give up this line because itchy and oily may mean losing hair because too much oil suffocates the follicle and it may die because of it. I tried using their Clarifying shampoo because I thought too much protein may be the cause. But it did not help much and the problem would come back every time I used the K-pak shampoo.
I know this line caused this because the problems stopped immediately after I stopped using it.
It's not the first time Joico shampoos and conditioner seem to sicken my scalp. Unlike their styling products that caused no problem so far (apart from the K-pak styling products that I never used because of this freaky experience with the treatment line).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 12:22:00 PM More reviews by nanaknickers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a nice, protein rich shampoo that I've been using every other wash. It really strengthens my fine hair and makes my highlights look brighter. It has a great lather, a light coconut smell, and a creamy consistency. My dad's girlfriend gave this to me so I don't know if I will repurchase because it's kind of expensive but maybe I'll buy it again. It's a pretty big bottle and lasts a long time. What I don't like is how hard the bottle is; I try to always cut my tubes and bottles open to get all the product out. This bottle would need a heavy duty saw and I'm not doing all that. I'll probably just add water to get the last bit out. I have natural, afro-textured hair that is abundant and fine--this shampoo is great before a blow out.

***Update***
I just used this yesterday and felt like updating this review based on the more negative ones I've read. I love this shampoo because it makes my curls clump together which is something no other shampoo has done. It's like a protein treatment and you MUST deep condition after. I noticed some people experience hair loss after using this and just wanted to say that after using this shampoo you really shouldn't try to detangle. If you've ever used the aphogee 2 step protein treatment then you have an idea of how hard your hair will be after using this shampoo. DON'T comb or brush your hair because it'll just snap off. Add globs of conditioner (without protein--check the ingredients), put on a plastic cap (or trash bag lol), and either sit under a warm dryer for 15-20mins or take a nap/do housework for a few hours. The point is, after using this shampoo your hair will be in a fragile state and will need some TLC. If you just use some cheap conditioner on your ends and rake a comb/brush through it then you WILL lose a bunch of hair. Also, for the people talking about bulidup..don't use this shampoo everyday! I use it twice a month max--alternate it with a moisturizing shampoo especially if you wash your hair every day or every other day. Use a clarifying shampoo at least once a month to get rid of buildup--this is especially important if you use products that contain silicone (again, check the ingredients).

I don't understand the "rotten bananas smell" thing. I hate bananas and I assure you this shampoo doesn't smell like that. It has a light coconut scent. It also lathers very well; I shampoo twice and the second shampoo has the best lather.

I hope this update is helpful to someone who is considering trying this shampoo. I know that Joico doesn't give all this extra info on the bottle's directions but you have to look at the ingredients and learn what they are doing to your hair! :) good luck!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2014 10:36:00 AM More reviews by BeautifulSterling

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this shampoo with the coordinating conditioner for the last year and I can say that I will never stop purchasing them. I have platinum blonde hair that it to my waist. With bleaching and heat styling, my hair is very fragile. This shampoo and conditioner is the perfect match for my hair. The shampoo gently cleanses and does not strip your hair. After rinsing, you can still feel moisture in your hair. The consistency is rich and creamy. It lathers up very nice. The smell is amazing. Not too strong, just the right amount of fragrance. This product (shampoo and conditioner) has brought my hair back to life and has contributed to its overall health. The shampoo and conditioner can be a little pricey, but Ulta usually has a good deal on them when they have their liter sale. Definitely give this a try and I guarantee you will fall in love.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2013 2:10:00 PM More reviews by amk1095

I head great things about this shampoo but it just did not work for me. It makes my fine hair very oily, and the conditioner does not condition my hair. It kind of smells like rotting bananas, but its a scent that you get used to. The shampoo and conditioner are both very liquidy, I prefer a thicker consistency. It does not leave my hair feeling nice at all, no-name drugstore brands make my hair feel a lot smoother and softer than this. It leaves a lot of residue and my scalp around the front of my head feels heavy with oil and unclean after using this shampoo, while the back of my head feels dry, as it has dried out my ends. Definitely would not recommend this, try a sample before you spend the money. Fortunately I bought mine at Ulta in a bundle of shampoo and conditioner and deep conditioner for a lot less than its actual price.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/26/2013 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Ilove2shop21

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't use heat styling or blow dryers and since using this (two months), my split ends are getting split ends. Literally.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2013 5:58:00 PM More reviews by goddessintraining

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have fine hair that is not exactly what you would call abundant. It is extremely fragile & colour treated. This shampoo has been working really well for me. I use it in conjunction with the matching conditioner & the K-Pak Revitaluxe. I really like them all.

I used the same shampoo & conditioner for many years & over the past 2 years, after some extreme stress, my hair was just looking worse than ever. Really damaged, dry, brittle, frizzy...all bad pretty much all the time no matter how I tried to style or hide it. I bought these joico products & noticed a difference from the first use (I believe most of the credit goes to the revitaluxe though).

This shampoo doesn't ruin my colour. Gives a nice, rich, creamy lather. I have never used it all on it's own, so I can't comment on that.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Reality9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this in the past and it was amazing, made my hair curlier and much softer. An effect I have never seen with any other products, even high end ones.

The downside is how expensive these are! They're like £20 per bottle so I don't think I will be buying it. Don't trust sites like Ebay which are full of fake and used ones. I had a look on the official site and you have to buy it from hair salons only. I'll like their Facebook page and maybe enter into competitions as long as I don't seem like some desperate vulture who can't even afford a shampoo lol. It's brilliant anyway but if it's a bit out of your reach I'd say stick to Tresemme with Aussie conditioner for the ends and maybe some organic macadamia oil for hair after it's dried.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2013 3:36:00 PM More reviews by Aso89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I gave Joico 4 lipsticks because I have never used shampoo that was above £1-3 or for damaged hair so I don't know what it can do compared to others. However, it does do what I expected it to so I was happy to give it 4 lipsticks.

First off, I want to start by saying I am a highly rational and logical woman so this whole 'it will thicken your hair/ it will change your life' crap doesn't work with me.
The only reason I even (surprisingly) decided to pay more than £3 for a shampoo was because of the good reviews I read online, on here and other websites.

A bit about my hair: I don't have a lot of hair but my strands are thick and overall quite dry; just like my skin.

What did this shampoo do for me? Well, I've been using this shampoo for about 3 weeks now and what it doesn't do is, it does not thicken your hair or give it added strength; nothing can do that. A shampoo cannot change your genes or hair follicles, those are the only things that determine it. I think everyone should accept that and stop making false advertising.

The only reason why some people may witness more strength or thickness in their hair, is because they probably damaged their hair before and its now growing out and the original strength and thickness is coming back.

What this shampoo DOES do, and the reason why I will buy this again is, when I wash my hair and blow dry it, it usually ends up really wire-y and frizzy and it will take me a day to sleep on it to have it nice and silky looking. With this shampoo, I wash, blow dry and my hair looks silky without it looking weighed down and oily. It feels like there is a lot more moisture in my hair and it has this permanent (very very mild) dampish feeling (without it actually looking or being damp)

This is why I will buy this shampoo again.

As for the package; its nice and professional. My only complaint is that it is hard therefore you are not able to squeeze out the last couple of drops.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2013 8:34:00 PM More reviews by tdawgz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

First off, I have thick, dry, damaged, frizzy hair. I find it sooo hard to find products that make it silky,shiny, smooth and managable, but the K-PAK range is amazing! Joico is my favourite brand when it comes to hair care and it's the only thing I use now. K-PAK is my absolute favourite so far and I'll always come back to it. I got a set of the Shampoo, Conditioner and K-PAK revitaluxe treatment (which is literally the best thing I've ever tried on my hair) and now i'm so in love. Plus the K-PAK range smells AMAZING, all Joico products do which is always important in hair products to me. But anyway, I highly reccomend the Shampoo, it's the only shampoo which doesn't make my hair feel super tangly and weird after I've used it, and it obviously works best using the K-PAK conditioner as well :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by anomicfille

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After bleaching my hair myself one too many times last summer, my hair was brittle and snapped like crazy, leaving me with a layer tiny blonde shreds of hair all over my shoulders by the end of the day (and lucky me, I wear a dark colored uniform at work, so there is no hiding it). After realizing that I now have what is considered damage hair, I knew my hair routine needed a re-vamp. I watched a few YouTube videos on haircare for damaged blonde hair, I decided to try the Joico K-Pak line, which was fortunately on sale at my local beauty supply.

The first time I used it, I toweled my hair off expecting a miracle. I didn't get one. My hair looked and felt exactly the same, and I was worried my purchase was a bust. But I kept on trucking, using the shampoo and conditioner every other day, and the deep penetrating reconstructor treatment once a week.

Sure enough, my patience paid off, because after about 4-6 weeks of using the shampoo and conditioner I noticed that my shoulders were not speckled with as much breakage as before. 6 more weeks, and there was no breakage at all! Hallelujah! This line has kept my hair attached to my head, and it really does work to rebuild your hair. I am truly amazed, and will continue to use this shampoo every few times I wash my hair, alternating with a moisturizing shampoo so I don't get overdosed on protein.

So if you don't get instant gratification, keep up using this product - it can save your hair if you give it a chance! Also worth noting is the cost - it's definitely more than your average drugstore hair product, but it lasts! I just ran out of both the shampoo and conditioner, and I have been using it for about 4-5 months. So the cost is not too steep considering how long it has lasted me. So give the Joico line a shot! I also reviewed their Restorative Styling Oil, which is awesome. I might be a little fanatical about this brand now..