Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Shampoo for Dry or Damaged Hair

3.8

Deionized Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, PEG-3 Distearate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin (Quadramine Complex), Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin PG-Propyl Methylsilanediol, Thioctic Acid, Psidium Guajava Fruit Extract, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Glycolipids, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butyl Methoxy Dibenzoylmethane, Benzophenone-4, Hyaluronic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Trisodium Sulfosuccinate, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Triethylammonium Chloride, Trideceth-3, Trideceth-6, Laureth-3, Propoxy Tetramethyl Piperidinyl, Dimethicone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).

on 3/26/2015 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I like this shampoo, though I do not find it mind blowing. Maybe it's because I really love a good lather and this does not deliver on that end. It does, however, give me really good hair days and since how it looks and feels when it's dry and styled is more important than how it feels while shampooing I will continue to use it and probably repurchase. I also love the scent. It's like sweet pineapples.
***I feel the same about the conditionioner...I don't love it while it's on my hair, but after rinsing my hair feels smooth, is easy to style and looks very nice. It doesn't weigh down my curls.

on 3/18/2015 11:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I tried this shampoo and the accompanying conditioner for about 2-3 months. It never really did much for my thin and dry hair. The shampoo wasn't too bad but it wasn't anything special. I really hated the conditioner. I'm used to drugstore conditioners and was really surprised at how runny the conditioner it was. I had to use a LOT to fully condition my hair. I also noticed quite a bit of hair falling out since using this shampoo and conditioner, so I'm definitely not going to repurchase.
Going to try some Costco shampoo, heard they have some good ones for a lot cheaper.

on 3/17/2015 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I think people don't really understand this product or how to use it. There is a way to tell if your hair needs moisture or protein..if you over flow it with the other when you need the opposite, things won't turn out well. Here's how you do it(credit to: kinkycurlycoilyme):
"To do the strand test, take one of your ‘shed’ hairs and wet it. (Note, the difference between a ‘shed’ hair and a hair that has broken off is the ‘shed’ hair will have a little white bulb on the end)

While holding each end of the hair and stretching it:

-If the hair stretches slightly and returns to its original length without breaking, you are balanced.

-If the hair stretches and continues to stretch or stretches a little more than it should and then breaks (snaps), then you need more protein in your regimen.

-If the hair has very little to no stretch to it and instantly breaks(snaps), then you need more moisture in your regime.

Now, other than conducting the strand test, you can also tell by how your hair feels.

-While wet, if your hair feels weak, gummy, very stringy, or limp, you need protein.

-While dry, if your hair feels hard, dry, tangly, brittle, weak or any combination, you need moisture"

If you give your hair protein when it needs moisture, it will clearly end up drier and tougher. It appears more damaged. That's called over flowing the protein!!! If you give it when it NEEDS it(say after a bleach when your hair is gummy as hell, or after color oops) your hair will be glorious. I fry my hair every few weeks from bleaching. There's no avoiding it. This stuff starts off making my hair look frizzy when it's drying, but when it DOES dry completely it is smooth and makes my hair gorgeous. If you want moisture, try the Moisture Recovery shampoo or a deep conditioner.

on 3/16/2015 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The joico shampoos dry out my hair. I don't use them. My hair is colored and needs more moisture-nothing worse than dried out hair.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

An Ulta SA suggested I tried this since I have dry and thick hair.
I have thick, dry, and natural brunette hair and I had high hopes for this shampoo, but it made my hair very tangled, matted, and DRY.
The solution was worse than the problem! :(
I think I read somewhere that this shampoo has proteins?

on 12/24/2014 11:22:00 AM

Nice shampoo that lathers pretty well!

I love the smell of it! it's like bananas/pineapple mix haha

Didn't strip my hair

on 10/21/2014 5:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am shocked to see all these negative reviews on this product. I have fine black hair with colour.
I was recommended this product by my hairdresser, i have severe damaged hair from DIY bleaching and constant colouring. Not to mention i was my hair everyday, blow-dry and straighten.

But despite all that this shampoo is by far the best i have come across. I will admit it's EXPENSIVE and through my experience with this product for a good year its kept my hair together. After every wash my hair would feel so light and smooth and I'm constantly asked by my gfs what i am doing to my hair.

I won't say its the best ever but defiantly worth a try!

on 8/29/2014 1:00:00 PM

I love several Joico products, and use them regularly, just not this one. It is like an average drugstore shampoo with an overripe banana smell. It didn't improve the way my hair looks, but didn't make it worse or irritate my scalp either.
I have the same opinion of the conditioner as well. Both products are good for normal or slightly dry hair, but nothing to write home about. I don't think they are worth the splurge. I don't believe you need to use one product line exclusively to get great result, on the contrary.
If you want to try the K-Pak line, I suggest you to go with the Intense Hydrator or the Revitaluxe treatment. The Deep Penetrating Reconstructor didn't help my hair at all, so although it's another concentrated product of the line, I can't recommend that.
If you want a Joico shampoo, I suggest you to try Moisture Recovery, which is really good, and true to its name.

I have to add that my hair doesn't like heavy protein treatments, just light ones. This might be the reason why I had mixed feelings about this shampoo. I mostly used it in conjunction with the Deep Penetrating Reconstructor, which is really heavy on protein, and also not suitable for my hair type.

on 5/8/2014 10:15:00 AM

This is review for the entire K-pak reconstructor line since I bought it in a whole set, 4 products - shampoo, conditioner and 2 types of masks to use alternatively.
It's true that after you use this shampoo your hair will be very dry and frail and it definitely needs a treatment, best from this line, to compensate somehow. After first uses my hair did feel smoother but it would get too oily very soon which is shocking for me since my hair is dry (naturally so and heat styles because it's curly).
My scalp would get itchy and oily which is also news to me.After the stylist noticed this too I decided to give up this line because itchy and oily may mean losing hair because too much oil suffocates the follicle and it may die because of it. I tried using their Clarifying shampoo because I thought too much protein may be the cause. But it did not help much and the problem would come back every time I used the K-pak shampoo.
I know this line caused this because the problems stopped immediately after I stopped using it.
It's not the first time Joico shampoos and conditioner seem to sicken my scalp. Unlike their styling products that caused no problem so far (apart from the K-pak styling products that I never used because of this freaky experience with the treatment line).

on 2/27/2014 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This is a nice, protein rich shampoo that I've been using every other wash. It really strengthens my fine hair and makes my highlights look brighter. It has a great lather, a light coconut smell, and a creamy consistency. My dad's girlfriend gave this to me so I don't know if I will repurchase because it's kind of expensive but maybe I'll buy it again. It's a pretty big bottle and lasts a long time. What I don't like is how hard the bottle is; I try to always cut my tubes and bottles open to get all the product out. This bottle would need a heavy duty saw and I'm not doing all that. I'll probably just add water to get the last bit out. I have natural, afro-textured hair that is abundant and fine--this shampoo is great before a blow out.

***Update***
I just used this yesterday and felt like updating this review based on the more negative ones I've read. I love this shampoo because it makes my curls clump together which is something no other shampoo has done. It's like a protein treatment and you MUST deep condition after. I noticed some people experience hair loss after using this and just wanted to say that after using this shampoo you really shouldn't try to detangle. If you've ever used the aphogee 2 step protein treatment then you have an idea of how hard your hair will be after using this shampoo. DON'T comb or brush your hair because it'll just snap off. Add globs of conditioner (without protein--check the ingredients), put on a plastic cap (or trash bag lol), and either sit under a warm dryer for 15-20mins or take a nap/do housework for a few hours. The point is, after using this shampoo your hair will be in a fragile state and will need some TLC. If you just use some cheap conditioner on your ends and rake a comb/brush through it then you WILL lose a bunch of hair. Also, for the people talking about bulidup..don't use this shampoo everyday! I use it twice a month max--alternate it with a moisturizing shampoo especially if you wash your hair every day or every other day. Use a clarifying shampoo at least once a month to get rid of buildup--this is especially important if you use products that contain silicone (again, check the ingredients).

I don't understand the "rotten bananas smell" thing. I hate bananas and I assure you this shampoo doesn't smell like that. It has a light coconut scent. It also lathers very well; I shampoo twice and the second shampoo has the best lather.

I hope this update is helpful to someone who is considering trying this shampoo. I know that Joico doesn't give all this extra info on the bottle's directions but you have to look at the ingredients and learn what they are doing to your hair! :) good luck!!

Popular Shampoos