October 31, 2014 | 1074 users online

Shampoo - Aveda - Black Malva Shampoo and Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2014 11:16:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Conditioner only - love! I've used this for many different reasons over the years and it always comes through for me. Bought several bottles in my life. To me the only downfall is the $ tag. I used to use it when I'd dye over highlights to get my dark brown back; the dye would inevitably fade and this would freshen it up. Most recently I've used it as kind of a indigo alternative to tone down the red of henna. Smells divine and I think its conditioning properties are just fine, and my hair is currently damaged under the henna.

PS - I always leave this on more like 15 min, up to 30, dry hair yields more intense results, and use it less often. If I am just using in shower it takes a while to build up.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by StardustSteph

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Conditioner Only:

I have been getting my hair dyed a deep violet-eggplant color the past few months. Prior to my current hair color, I was dying it a deep red-brown. The Black Malva conditioner has prevented my hair from fading into that awful red-brassy color it usually does after 2 weeks after the dye job.. My hair color stays dark, rich and saturated for the whole 6-7 weeks I go between getting my hair colored. I am THRILLED, and I owe it all to this conditioner. I use it twice a week and leave it on for about 15 minutes before rinsing. This can definitely stain your shower, so be mindful of that. It does stain my skin too, but it washes off easily while I'm showering. The small drawback is this isn't very hydrating on your hair, but I just follow up with my regular conditioner or hair mask. I can easily overlook this as I'm so impressed with how it keeps my hair color looking so great!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2014 9:25:00 AM More reviews by Curlymophead

This review is for the Conditioner only.

Holy moly. This stuff is the bees knees! I would lighten my hair, watch it go differing shades of orange and then dye it brown again. Always the red would start to show through near the top of the hair and repeated dying would build up on the ends until they would go almost black and require professional colour stripping to remove the build up. Subsequently I'd be stuck with a pigmentless coppery tone that needed dying brown soon afterwards - and rinse and repeat the cycle above of fading - dying - build up - stripping - all because of a faded copper tinge.

Why did I only find this product now!! I haven't had to dye my hair in 6 months and the ends now match my natural ash brown colour! My hair went from an old British 2p copper colour to ash brown the first time I used this. I initially left this on about 20 minutes but was brushing it through and monitoring the colour the whole time (I had a horror of it going black but it did not). So Black Malva conditioner has managed to do what literally every boxed hair dye has not been able to do over the last 20 years and actually conditioned my hair in the process! I now only put it on for a couple of minutes whenever my hair needs it.

Make no mistake - this stuff is powerful - on your own heads be it (literally) if you use this when you don't really need to, however for getting rid of orangey brown - AMAZING!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by Frenchmix

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Love this! I use the conditioner only, really does what it claims.. I have areas of my hair that I have to dye black because of gray, I don't dye all of my hair. My natural hair color is black and some areas that I dye black keep fading to a red tone pretty fast.. I keep dying them over and over again and use perm color...hate. I tried some black tea to try to tone down the red naturally, but didn't work well. I decided to try this. I have only used this 4 times but the difference is already huge..looks like I dyed it.

I put this Black Malva (which is very black like dye in the tube) on the areas of my hair that are reddish while my hair is dry, to absorb the color deeper. Leave it on dry hair for 25 mins..wash/cond hair and it works really well this way. Will use probably 2 days a week to maintain. It does stain your fingers the way I use it but washes out in the bath. Will update as I continue to use..Love.

Update~ Been using this for 4 months now and totally love it. I use it daily..it really works!!

June 2014~ I just ordered another one of these. This stuff is awesome. Knocks out all red> I color only once, then use this daily and my hair remains all black..

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2013 12:23:00 AM More reviews by amy0690

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The smell is sh*t but I liked it! Nothing to write home about but I loved how it has actual color in it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 3:26:00 PM More reviews by ToriTwinkle

Conditioner only:

If you want darker hair and to eliminate red tones, this product is top!

I love this product!!!!! Whether or not you will love this product all depends on what you're going for. I had STRUGGLED for years with brassy, copper tones in my hair. When I was a little girl I had beautiful shiny brown hair, with golden highlights. Over the years of dying my hair and it just aging in general, it had gone to this weird red-brown color that reminded me of a penny -- yuck! I have really supple healthy hair, too, that never holds onto dye for longer than two, maybe three weeks. Usually only between 1-2 weeks though, and that is even when using really nice dyes (redken, chi, matrix) as well as box dyes, semi, demi, permanent, you name it. I had tried it all. All different levels of developer, too. My mother and my roommate are both stylists, so it was not a problem with the dye, it was totally just my hair.

Also, I'm a bit of a purist, too, so the idea of dying my hair every few weeks just made me cringe at the thought of the toxic chemicals. Fortunately, I stumbled across Aveda's black malva conditioner and all of my problems were solved! Here's the thing, you can achieve a variety of looks with this depending on how you apply it. You can do all over and leave it on for a while, you can comb it through and rinse out soon after, you can apply it just to your roots, you can apply it mixed with a little water (for spreading purposes) and not rinse it out well at all .. and all of these measures will give you slightly different results. Also, I've found some luck with, after having sort of a build-up effect with it, only using it every 2 washes. It is, of course, strongest immediately after use. I strongly feel that with this product, the key to achieving the results you want is experimentation. Seeing how your hair takes it.

Downfalls -- people have commented that my hair looks green. Ya know what, after years of trying desperately to rid my hair of its warm red tones, these comments of ashy greenness are a-okay by me. And I know, oh, it's green today, that means skip using a few times and it will be perfectly brown after a wash. Usually, the comments of greenness are after a time of deciding not to fully rinse it out. And to me, it never actually looks green, just a twinge of it in certain lighting. It makes my hair really shiny and very soft. It is not, however, a rich, nourishing conditioner. It makes it heathery and soft, but not rich and lush.

Another downfall -- it stains your shower (but this comes out over time) and it stains your cuticles and hands, so wear gloves or get ready to scrub!

I give this product a 4 for cheapness, because while yes for the amount you get, it is pretty expensive .. you can easily make a tube last for 2+ months, and as opposed to the cost of having it dyed, it's not even a comparison. Not to mention the money you'll save in doctor bills from whatever complications could result from using harsh chemicals on your head.

Aveda black malva. It's botanically wonderful! Figure out the appropriate amount and method of use that best suits you and you will love this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 1:26:00 AM More reviews by Miltonh81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love these products have been using the same bottle of shampoo since January (I have the litre size) and I use the conditioner once a week and that is just coming to the end I still have at least a quarter of shampoo left. I have naturally black hair with a few greys so I just dye it black every 6 weeks. This keeps those horrible reddish tones away and cleanses my hair without stripping any natural oils and you really only need a 10 pence piece amount the smell isn't amazing but it works all that matters to me also I made sure I bought a pump because having small hands makes it impossible to squeeze a huge bottle! The conditioner is fantastic yes again doesn't smell the best and you must use gloves to prevent staining your hands it really does revive my colour and conditions my hair deeply I leave it on for 20 mins once a week and use a tigi peace and the planet conditioner the rest of the week. I haven't felt like my hair has gotten used to using the same shampoo for 11 months and I find this very economical for 19.00 (15.00 for conditioner). If you want to keep your hair in great condition and the blackest black give these a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2012 1:38:00 PM More reviews by emily897

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is for the conditioner only.

My hair is naturally an ashy level 6ish. Bleached it about a year ago and decided light hair wasn't for me, so I've been dying it to around a level 4 ash brown while I wait for it to grow out. The problem is, I have to dye my hair about once a month because the color would fade so quickly (due to the bleaching presumably). So I bought this conditioner from Aveda for under 20$. It's smaller sized bottle but I have been using it almost every day for over a month and I am not even half way through. Compared to the cost of dying my hair, using this conditioner is much cheaper.

As far as results go, this stuff is awesome. My hair still looks like I just dyed it, the bleached ends match my dark roots and have not faded AT ALL. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with bleached hair who has had problems maintaining a darker shade.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have both the shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo is kind of useless, honestly. It's only intended to cleanse the hair, not to deposit any color. And I highly doubt the dark brown tint is helping to protect anything. It's very drying, as well.

The conditioner is what does all the work. It is more of a moisturizing semi-permanent dye. I only use this every two weeks to restore the cool, ashy medium brown highlights I had (they always go brassy and lighter when I wash). Beware that is WILL darken your hair if it's not already medium brown or darker. May also stain fabrics. Color lasts for about 6-8 washes.

Don't get the shampoo. Black Malva conditioner is ideal for those who want to keep their hair cool-toned and brown. If you are blonde, you can try Blue Malva. I tried that when I had blonde highlights, but I honestly didn't see any difference in treating the brassiness.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2011 3:08:00 AM More reviews by Nickylily

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This shampoo strips my hairs so much that I am returning it and going back to my beloved Abba Gentle Shampoo. I wanted to try Black Malva to help keep my hair from becoming brassy, but the ammonium lauryl sulfate in it is too drying. It left my hair dry, sticky and tangled. I cannot recommend this shampoo.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No