October 30, 2014 | 1754 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Sedu - Ionic Ceramic Professional Flat Iron (Original)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/15/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by MBROOKS425

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really don't get the amazing reviews on this flat iron. I purchased this last year, after wanting to try something different than my beloved HAI flat iron that I have used for the past 12 years. I was so excited to receive my Sedu after reading all the glowing reviews on Folica.com and Makeup alley and the first time I used it, I thought it was a joke. The iron didnt compare at all to my HAI. My hair is thick, coarse and wavy.. but its chemically straightened so its not that hard to flat iron. I felt like I really had to work to straighten my hair with this iron, and my hair still felt puffy afterwards. It went straight back to Folica. I re-ordered my HAI flat iron. Bummer.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2014 12:06:00 PM More reviews by sksherman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this flat iron just because of the reviews of the company guarantee. It shorted out within 6 months of purchase - I did not save the receipt because I never expected such poor construction. Sedu would not do anything for me. I will never ever purchase a sedu product again. (I spend a lot of money on styling products) and I recommend that no one ever purchase Sedu products either. I now have a $170 paper weight.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by tatih

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I really like this flat iron. I bought it after my Chi died and I haven't regretted the choice.

Although I've only had it for a couple months and I only straighten my hair occasionally, I have noticed that for some reason this flat iron makes my thick, coarse hair much smoother and silkier than other irons I've used. I also love what an effective job it does of keeping my hair straight. Ive been traveling to some rather humid areas recently and every morning I keep expecting to turn into a frizzy, poofy-maned lioness the moment I step out my hotel door.... but to my pleasant surprise my hair has stayed fairly flat, through my travels.

Last but not least, being the clumsy person I am, I have dropped it several times - and it still works. So that's also a plus! I hope to use this iron for many more years to come.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by Jaynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm amazed by the results of this iron. This is a potential life changing purchase for me! I've been in long term relationship with my Paul Brown flat iron, but lately I've noticed that it is not giving me the old 'thrill' anymore - lol! These last months, I'd flat iron, drive 3 minutes to work, walk across the parking lot, and by the time I got to my office, my hair would be frizzy, flyaway, kinky,wavy - anything but resembling the style I walked out the door with. I was piling on products, blaming my hair - age, hormones - it was depressing. My hair looked awful and it was making me sad. Years ago I used to have a 2" iron (can't recall brand) which gave me a really good shape to my neck length bob, so I looked into trying another larger plate iron. The Sedu has tons of reviews and was a perfect 1 1/2". I got mine from Folica for $69, which I see is a great deal - they were on sale, plus an extra 25% off for Fall promo.

I got it yesterday and tried it at 350 degrees and it totally flattened my hair and made quick work of my waves, bumps, kinks - but it was obviously too hot for my fine hair because it sucked out the body, and probably did a bit of damage. I wasn't going out anywhere so that was ok. I put on a repair treatment and went to bed.

Today I tried a lower setting and went out and did a bunch of errands. I felt like I just came out of a salon. My hair was swinging, and shiny, and stylish, and full of body. When I got home, my hair looked great, just like it does after my stylist does it. I'm so happy! This has elevated my mood, and made me feel so good about starting a new job this week. I know that my hair is going to keep up with me as I go throughout my day, without looking awful within the hour.

I get a good shape to my hair using this - however I probably will still use my PB or my mini irons to do my shorter back ends, as this iron makes it a little difficult to maneuver back there.

I have to say that this is probably the best iron I've used - the result speak for themselves. I have an expensive FHI, I've tried Chi, and my PB has been great, but obviously isn't working as well anymore (after more than 8 years, it owes me nothing - and the FHI never worked as well as my PB).

I don't think I'll need to buy another 1" iron again - just use the Sedu, and then one of my mini irons, or one of the underperforming 1", and that will be all I need.

I'm thrilled to have my hair stylin' again!!!

What I'm not to keen on is that the plates don't meet across the full length of the iron - near the tips, the plates meet, but near the handle they don't exactly. Also they have an awful design where the sides of the iron are exposed, but the tip of the iron has a plastic ridge with these awful little "L" edges on either side (why?? - couldn't they smooth those out?) and if you have hair near the tips, it gets caught in the edges and the iron crunches and pulls them. ugh! I posted a photo. So keep the hair within the width of the plates.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by bl4ckp4nd4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've had my 1.5" Sedu iron for a few years now, and I haven't had a single major problem with it. Not only does it quickly heat up (I would say around 15 seconds max for the highest setting), but it wonderfully straightens my curly hair, making it pin straight (which no other straightener that I've owned had been able to achieve).
However, the reason I may not buy this product again is because I would like to upgrade to something different (or more expensive), as this Sedu:
- doesn't have a swivel cord
- doesn't have automatic shut off
- feels somewhat fragile/cheap
- is very flat, so even achieving large loose curls/waves with the 1.5" plates is nearly impossible & isn't the best for taming short hairs and bangs (not the straightener's fault)
Overall: Great product, reasonably priced at around $120. Perfect for those who want a long lasting straightener without breaking the bank, and especially recommended for those with long hair. People who have bangs or hair above the shoulders should opt for the 1" model (if it is still available).

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2012 7:06:00 PM More reviews by briannaayoung

I'll start by saying this is the best straightener I've ever had. My hair is curly and thick, and this straightener definitely does the job. It goes up to 400 degrees and i use it on 380-400 usually.
I've used this product for about 5 years, but I have had some issues with it. Each straightener lasts about 2 years, and after that, the light flickers and it fails to stay hot. On the bright side, Sedu has sent me a new one each time this has happened (3 times).
I'm not sure if the problem is me or the iron, but since it has happened three times I'm sure it is not an uncommon occurrence.
Overall this product works fantastically, it just has some minor flaws.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by mishkee

This is so amazing I love it! I'm on my second one. My first one lasted six years though! Nothing makes my hair look and feel so soft and smooth. I have coarse curly hair and this makes it look stick straight and completely flat. I like the bigger plates cuz I have sooo much hair. It really cuts down the styling time. All my sisters and friends love it and use it when they come over. It's well worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2012 3:07:00 AM More reviews by laurentate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

BEST STRAIGHTENER EVER. Seriously. I've had Chi's, GHD's, off brands and this has been the best. I'm on my second one only because my mom stole my original one. It's about 5 years old now an still going strong by the way. My Chi ruined my hair and left it fried and snagged constantly. I've never had problems with my sedu. You can usually get a good deal on folica. I think I spent about $120 on my second one three years ago. Definitely worth the money. I use it 3/4 times a week for the past few years and it's still in great shape. I usually keep it at 320 degrees because my hair is fine, colored and damaged and it still works wonderfully. I can't say I've ever had it up all the way but it gets super hot. I've taken this thing all over the country and it's a real trooper. Invest ladies! It's amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Camillian74

Great hair straightener. It does the job without damaging the cuticle of your hair. I had a Chi before this one and it wreacked havoc on my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2012 7:30:00 AM More reviews by sealegg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

What at nice sized hair straightener, it was smaller than I originally thought it was. It's quite lovely, best hair straightener I've owned with a great heat setting option. It's good quality for the price of the straightener. I love it.