August 1, 2014 | 2028 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Eyeshadow in Mystery

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 4:19:00 PM More reviews by Laura41

This is a great eyeshadow for everyday use. I use it as a liner, in the crease, to define under the lower lashes and in the outer corner. It is also a nice base under cool toned shimmery shadows such as satin taupe. I don't find it chalky at all. Would definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2014 9:31:00 AM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I actually use this to fill in my eyebrows! I have very dark brown hair and I found the Mac 'Concrete' eyeshadow to be too light, so I went to a Mac stand and asked what colour would be better and I was recommended 'Mystery' which was a bit darker and warmer. Wow, I absolutely love it! I have naturally bolder eyebrows and I love that style, so I just use my Mac angled brush or my Real Techniques brow brush and I sweep some of the Mac Mystery eyeshadow through my brows to make them bolder and give them more shape. It looks great and it's super easy! I don't know how using eyeshadow to fill in brows fares for people with thinner eyebrows, but if you have naturally bolder eyebrows or you like that "model on a runway" eyebrow look: 1) Use a Mac eyeshadow in the right colour for you (they have great pigmentation and staying power), 2) Apply it in your brows with a Mac or Real Techniques angled brush, 3) Sweep some Wet & Wild clear brow gel through your eyebrows in an upwards motion (only $2 and works better than anything from Sephora), and there you go, an easy brow look!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2013 7:38:00 PM More reviews by elencole

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use it on the outer V, crease or as a liner. An alternative for black for very fair complexions. Satisfactory pigmentation, a bit chalky, as expected for being a satin, just dust off any excess and you'll have no fall out. The greyish, plummy undertones compliment my hazel green eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2013 9:57:00 PM More reviews by ElizBehrrr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

At first glance, this is a deep brown shade... but when you put in on your eyes... that's when the magic happens. It actually has hints of grey and purple hues in it as well. I paired it with "Purple Pedigreed" from MAC and it makes my green/blue eyes DOLLAR BILL GREEN!!! they go fantastic together, or alone, Mystery is a fantastic crease shade for a dramatic eye look :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by canadian

For reference: Green eyes, medium-dark brown hair, NC/NW 25ish- neutral to warm skin tone, combination skin, sensitive.

I've heard many others mentioned that purple brings out green in eyes. However due to either feeling tired or allergies, purple tones make my eyes look tired or red. The woman at the MAC counter suggested Mystery. I love this color. It looks like a very dark brown with a hint of plum, neutral to cool tone. If I wear Naked Lunch and apply Mystery to my outer V, I can definitely see the hint of plum. Wearing these too colors brings out the green in my eyes. If I wear a peachy-gold color on my lids and Mystery on the outer v, I see more of the dark brown. That is what I love about this color. This color does not make my eyes look tired or red. A definite repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 8:31:00 AM More reviews by ByCharlotte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I find this is a shadow one can do literally just about anything with. It's a gorgeous chocolate brown with a purple undertone. I usually use this on my brows!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2013 4:58:00 PM More reviews by clearady

I was looking over at the eye shadows at Mac for a good neutral crease shade to pair with my All That Glitters. For some reason I thought this was a purple or grayish shade, but it literally is a black/gray shade. It doesn't have any purple or brown undertones, so it definitely was not what I was looking for. This didn't make my light brown eyes pop.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2013 11:32:00 AM More reviews by enydonus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

At first, I wasn't sure about this shadow, it's a great dark neutral brown but it's sheer and can be quite patchy. I have come to love it tho and use it almost every day. It doesn't kick up a lot of dust when used, isn't noticeably powdery, and doesn't fall down onto the face.

The sheerness of it means that I can use it to fill in my greyish dark brown eyebrows without it looking too warm, dark, or obvious. I also like to use it as a liner during the day since black looks way too harsh on my very pale complexion. The subtle plummy grey tones bring out the light green in my hazel eyes. On the eyelid, it pairs beautifully with Patina, subtly darkening the outer V. It is my HG unique dark brown.

The main downside is that, due to the patchiness, it doesn't work well on its own or even used with a pencil brush under the eye. It needs a good base to adhere to or to be applied wet for it to appear more consistent and opaque.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by hazelblackolive

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

An absolute classic and the only MAC eyeshadow I have ever hit the pan with (twice). I'm going to another city to buy a new one this weekend and it's worth the drive because

1. It's a neutral colour and therefore works with EVERYTHING.

2. It's the most versatile shade I own because I can use it for my brows and as a shadow. It works brilliantly as an eyeliner too and can even be used to do detailed contouring.

3. It's beyond beautiful and a very flattering shade.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by PianoGirl1985

I usually do not like to spend money on MAC eyeshadows since now days it is so easy to find cheeper dupes of practically any color they have. However, I decided to splurge on Mystery just because I was looking for a deep, cool toned brown. I have a few brown eyeshadows in my makeup collection but non of them seem to come even close in the shade as Mystery. It's a really lovely color if you're looking for a natural every day look. I use it in combination with MAC's Bloom On pro-stay eyeshadow and it creates such a beautiful dusty pink/smoky brown look.
I am a fan!