MAC Frost - Vex

4.4

Talc, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol Eye Shadows may contain: Silica, Mice, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Carmine, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Chromium Oxide Greens, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Manganese Violet, Ultramarines, Blue 1 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yello 5 Lake

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This is a lovely opalescent shadow and I don't think there are dupes for this one. I tried it on the lid and used Deep Truth as a liner with Soft Brown in the crease. This combination is beautiful on my brown eyes, but I could see it working with a deep purple or even forest green eyeliner or something like Aquadisiac or Swimming. It brightens my eyes. A frost in the wrong color (Satin Taupe) deadens my eyes, but Vex is full of light and the subtle shifts in color depending on the lighting are intriguing. I would have thought this would be too silver for my C4/5 skin. However, the chromatic effects, the green and blue, somehow make this work. This works even on my 60 something eyelids. A keeper.

on 2/18/2015 11:05:00 AM

I really like Vex a lot. I'm cool toned and very fair NW20, blonde hair, green eyes and this makes a great lid shade for me. I like to use Satin Taupe in the crease a little Shroom and Brule and it makes a great daytime look for me. What's cool about this colour Is that it can transform a shadow like brown I throw a little Vex over it and it looks so cool. I also do it with black because blacks can look too stark on my skin. It just looks really nice alone or over shadows. This shade I cannot find a dupe for it seems to be a very unique shadow. It's grey with pinks and green it's almost hard to describe but it's such a great colour and it's so easy to work with. It's very easy to blend and has a nice buttery texture. This one is a total repurchase and I prefer to buy the single and put it in a palette. Vex is one of my favorite shades from MAC and it's a work horse of a colour as you can do so much with it. I love it! Recommended!

on 12/22/2014 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I only have myself to blame for not discovering this shade sooner. I'd heard things about it, but didn't love plain pink duochrome eyeshadows, which Vex is not. There is a slight opal pink sheen, but it's not the star of the shadow in my opinion.

The star of this is the fact that it's a sheer, wearable, lovely opalescent grey, with underlayers of other tones shot through it. However, on my lids, and my skintone (NC15) it does serve as a lid color. For those that are darker in skintone, this may be a lovely highlight.

This may be the only grey I will ever wear on my eyes. I dislike cool greys, and very harsh greys, and find myself leaning more towards dark brown, taupe for smokiness rather than silvers, and Vex is just a very welcomed shade to my palette of light eyeshadows.

Vex is one of my favourite mac eyeshadows. A light wash all over the lid makes me look fresh and awake. I also love wearing it with satin taupe or fig 1. Also, since it has a pink/green duochrome it pairs well with tons of shadows, from purples to greens to neutrals. If I apply too much it can look a bit stark on me (NC40) but other than that I love it.

on 12/3/2013 4:12:00 PM

I think this is one of the more underrated MAC eyeshadows so I though I should do a review on it just to get it some more attention. This is probably one of the more unique eyeshadows I've ever seen and I have nothing like this, nor have I come across anything even similar. It's a mix between white and gold and has a golden/silver duochrome to it(although it's very subtle) that looks absolutely amazing placed in the inner tearduct or in the center of the lid. The texture of this eyeshadow is VERY buttery and smooth and has minimal fallout. It also makes a great browbone highlight and you could also use it as a face highlight on the nose, cheekbones, etc.

I definitely think this should be a signature MAC eyeshadow! So gorgeous, and like I said, I have not found anything even close to this color ever.

on 11/23/2013 6:52:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

When I first got this eyeshadow I was disappointed as it didn't do much for me, but after playing around with it i realised that my first impression was so wrong!

Its great for the inner corners, and looks wonderful layered over other colours to give them a duotone effect. I've not tried this myself yet, but saw a swatch of vex over carbon, and it looks fabulous - that'll be the next look I try... :)

on 9/16/2013 1:40:00 PM

This is my go to shadow. I can wear it on any occasion. However, in the evening, I sometimes pair it with MAC Club to make for a more dramatic look. I recommend wearing this shadow with a liquid eyeliner because of it's frosty appearance.

on 9/5/2013 11:10:00 AM

I just had to write this review. I have to share with the whole world that Vex is an amazing eye shadow. Lol that's how much I LOVE IT!!! I had my reservations before I bought it as the colour looked a bit too soft in the pan (by soft I mean I was worried that it would be impossible to see it when applied, you know some of the products you buy that is hardly seen on). However, VEX has exceeded my expectations. I used with tan and without. As a wash all over lid, as a highlight, as a cheek highlight or ever as a liner at the bottom lid when I use Fascinating eye khol on the waterline. It is absolutely amazing.
I love pairing it with (obvious match) Shale in the crease but my favourite combos would include:
*1* Vex (wash all over lid - apply a few times if you want to achieve a lighter tone + use a pencil brush to go across the lower lid), Cork (crease) OR Haux (crease), Feline (liner top lid and waterline), Sketch (outer V) OR Crabon OR Smut.
*2* For the more adventurous use wash of Vex all over lid, Feline (outer V - apply as if you applied eyeshadow to approx 1/3 of the eyelid and then smudge), take blending brush and blend Vex with smudged Feline, apply Feline to a bit more inwards that outer half of lower lid, apply Vex to inner half of lower lid where you didn't apply Feline and blend the two in the very middle so they meet but there is no rough edge. Use Shale or Cork (to blend out the black so use a 217 brush or no7 blending brush to go around all of the blackness).
*3* Vex as a highlight for any look really if you dont want to go over the top but still have a bit of a shiny highlight on your browbone
*4* Vex as inner highlight
The pinkness in this colour is so beautiful that will match many many looks aas you see. Definitely my most used eyeshadow now. Enjoy!

on 7/18/2013 9:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Personally, I agree with Mac's description (on website) when it comes to describing this eyeshadow: "Beige with pink-green pearl". It is definitely a beige on my light warm complexion (approximately NC 20) and the most versatile color in my entire Mac eyeshadow collection. I actually think that this eyeshadow could be paired with ANY shade that Mac makes - it is that versatile. I only use it as an all over lid color with another color blended into the crease and outer 1/3 of lid. I think one of the tricks with Vex, since it is fairly pearly/shimmery, is to pair it with matte (or satin) eyeshadows and/or liners. This results in a much more natural and polished effect of the final eye look. Below are 3 of my favorite combinations using Vex......

Vex on lid w/ Girlie in crease - Add a matte smokey grey or chocolate liner on the
top lash line and you have ethereal perfection. Such a light and illuminating combo that
is perfect with a bright pink lip!

Vex on lid w/ Steamy in crease - I typically use a matte teal liner with this combo, but you can
also use a matte smokey grey or espresso liner. Gorgeous!

Vex on lid w/ Corduroy in crease - I always use Dip Down (matte brown gel liner) to bring
out the brown tones. Beautiful neutral look.

on 2/21/2013 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Vex has a beautiful subtle pink and green duochrome in a pale grey, almost white base. on my olive/tan eyelids, the green duochrome doesn't show up very well, but it shows when you look at the pan in a different angle.
It has nice texture and pigmentation and lasting power is decent like a standard quality MAC eyeshadow.
I think for my coloring, I really like to use it as an inner corner highlight and occasionally I wear just this all over lid with black liner and it looks really pretty.
I if you want to only buy a select few eyeshadows from MAC I would recommend this one as it is diffcult to find something similar.

EDIT: oh I did want to say in reference to the review below me, that my lids are actually quite dark, but this doesn't look ashy on me at all!:)

Top Rated MAC Products