October 1, 2014 | 1863 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Frost - Vex

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 12:05:00 AM More reviews by 36CHAMBERSAGAIN

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Vex is one of my favourite mac eyeshadows. A light wash all over the lid makes me look fresh and awake. I also love wearing it with satin taupe or fig 1. Also, since it has a pink/green duochrome it pairs well with tons of shadows, from purples to greens to neutrals. If I apply too much it can look a bit stark on me (NC40) but other than that I love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 4:12:00 PM More reviews by NinaSun

I think this is one of the more underrated MAC eyeshadows so I though I should do a review on it just to get it some more attention. This is probably one of the more unique eyeshadows I've ever seen and I have nothing like this, nor have I come across anything even similar. It's a mix between white and gold and has a golden/silver duochrome to it(although it's very subtle) that looks absolutely amazing placed in the inner tearduct or in the center of the lid. The texture of this eyeshadow is VERY buttery and smooth and has minimal fallout. It also makes a great browbone highlight and you could also use it as a face highlight on the nose, cheekbones, etc.

I definitely think this should be a signature MAC eyeshadow! So gorgeous, and like I said, I have not found anything even close to this color ever.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 6:52:00 PM More reviews by katey1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

When I first got this eyeshadow I was disappointed as it didn't do much for me, but after playing around with it i realised that my first impression was so wrong!

Its great for the inner corners, and looks wonderful layered over other colours to give them a duotone effect. I've not tried this myself yet, but saw a swatch of vex over carbon, and it looks fabulous - that'll be the next look I try... :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by SarahC1086

This is my go to shadow. I can wear it on any occasion. However, in the evening, I sometimes pair it with MAC Club to make for a more dramatic look. I recommend wearing this shadow with a liquid eyeliner because of it's frosty appearance.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2013 11:10:00 AM More reviews by msspark

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just had to write this review. I have to share with the whole world that Vex is an amazing eye shadow. Lol that's how much I LOVE IT!!! I had my reservations before I bought it as the colour looked a bit too soft in the pan (by soft I mean I was worried that it would be impossible to see it when applied, you know some of the products you buy that is hardly seen on). However, VEX has exceeded my expectations. I used with tan and without. As a wash all over lid, as a highlight, as a cheek highlight or ever as a liner at the bottom lid when I use Fascinating eye khol on the waterline. It is absolutely amazing.
I love pairing it with (obvious match) Shale in the crease but my favourite combos would include:
*1* Vex (wash all over lid - apply a few times if you want to achieve a lighter tone + use a pencil brush to go across the lower lid), Cork (crease) OR Haux (crease), Feline (liner top lid and waterline), Sketch (outer V) OR Crabon OR Smut.
*2* For the more adventurous use wash of Vex all over lid, Feline (outer V - apply as if you applied eyeshadow to approx 1/3 of the eyelid and then smudge), take blending brush and blend Vex with smudged Feline, apply Feline to a bit more inwards that outer half of lower lid, apply Vex to inner half of lower lid where you didn't apply Feline and blend the two in the very middle so they meet but there is no rough edge. Use Shale or Cork (to blend out the black so use a 217 brush or no7 blending brush to go around all of the blackness).
*3* Vex as a highlight for any look really if you dont want to go over the top but still have a bit of a shiny highlight on your browbone
*4* Vex as inner highlight
The pinkness in this colour is so beautiful that will match many many looks aas you see. Definitely my most used eyeshadow now. Enjoy!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by vsuberc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Personally, I agree with Mac's description (on website) when it comes to describing this eyeshadow: "Beige with pink-green pearl". It is definitely a beige on my light warm complexion (approximately NC 20) and the most versatile color in my entire Mac eyeshadow collection. I actually think that this eyeshadow could be paired with ANY shade that Mac makes - it is that versatile. I only use it as an all over lid color with another color blended into the crease and outer 1/3 of lid. I think one of the tricks with Vex, since it is fairly pearly/shimmery, is to pair it with matte (or satin) eyeshadows and/or liners. This results in a much more natural and polished effect of the final eye look. Below are 3 of my favorite combinations using Vex......

Vex on lid w/ Girlie in crease - Add a matte smokey grey or chocolate liner on the
top lash line and you have ethereal perfection. Such a light and illuminating combo that
is perfect with a bright pink lip!

Vex on lid w/ Steamy in crease - I typically use a matte teal liner with this combo, but you can
also use a matte smokey grey or espresso liner. Gorgeous!

Vex on lid w/ Corduroy in crease - I always use Dip Down (matte brown gel liner) to bring
out the brown tones. Beautiful neutral look.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by asd1random

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Vex has a beautiful subtle pink and green duochrome in a pale grey, almost white base. on my olive/tan eyelids, the green duochrome doesn't show up very well, but it shows when you look at the pan in a different angle.
It has nice texture and pigmentation and lasting power is decent like a standard quality MAC eyeshadow.
I think for my coloring, I really like to use it as an inner corner highlight and occasionally I wear just this all over lid with black liner and it looks really pretty.
I if you want to only buy a select few eyeshadows from MAC I would recommend this one as it is diffcult to find something similar.

EDIT: oh I did want to say in reference to the review below me, that my lids are actually quite dark, but this doesn't look ashy on me at all!:)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2013 6:25:00 PM More reviews by 1017

My NW20, pinkness, brings out the pink in this shade. I swatched it on my arm and all I could see was a pink toned pearl shade. When I tried it on with a green coat, I caught a glimpse of that. It does not come out ashy on me at all. The MUA said those with extreme yellow tones would find this skewing ashy on them. But on me, it is lovely. I wore it with Dame blush, a soft pink lippie, Coquette in the crease and Shroom in the highlight area (Vex on the lid). It really looks nice. And I am almost 40 & the frost finish is not OTT.

If you are going to only look into a few MAC eye shadows, this and Sumptuous Olive are two colors that are so much more than meets the eye and not your flat boring, "I can get these anywhere" colors.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by sarahmarie86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought Vex months ago and didn't really give it much love... and that's because I wasn't using it the way it looks best. I tried packing it on the lid, which looked horrible and I just put it in one of my palettes and left it alone since June. I decided to try it as a wash and totally loved it. Also, Vex looks gorgeous in the inner corner -- and matches just about any look, but my favorite is with a purple smokey eye and Vex in the inner corner. Will definitely repurchase! Check out my blog for pictures:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2012 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

NW10 (neutral-cool toned, very fair), gray blue eyes, Color season is True Summer, Baumann Skin Type is OSPW.

I really like Vex and have used it alot since purchasing. To me, it is a complex silver gray shimmer. I don't worry about if the duochrome shows up upon application, as I didn't purchase it having that expectation. I really enjoy using it as a highlight color for my inner eye corners, especially as a way to lighten up smokey eye looks. It is subtle and sophisticated, looks great during the day too. Much more complimentary and less harsh and dramatic looking than a true silver. I know I will wear this shadow until I hit pan, and it is a wonderful addition to my other highlight shade, MAC's Dazzlelight.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No