December 22, 2014 | 1431 users online

Hair - L'Oreal - excellence hi color

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by SwampThing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I have mixed feelings about this product. I am a HUGE fan of the Magenta shade, but not a fan of the staying power. This will NOT work correctly on previously colored hair as I have tried it before and my roots ended up bright magenta and the rest of my dark colored hair stayed just that- dark (it was about a level 4). I do dye my hair a lot, so after my first experience, I now use this AFTER lightening my hair (deposit only). I love love love the shade of magenta my hair ends up, but unfortunately it just does not have the staying power I wish it would (2 weeks tops, If I'm lucky). I will continue to repurchase this color to use as a base.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2011 11:52:00 PM More reviews by kianajade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PRODUCT.
i bought the Hicolor Highlights in the RED shade.
ive also tried the magenta...
but anyways... my hair was a very deep maroony red when i tried this.
i have wanted my hair Rihanna red forever and this is the best thing ive ever tried. AND my cousin is a top hairstylist. he said its good.
i would have gotten him to do it but he doesnt live in the same place as me..
ANYWAYS.
this product did wonders to my asian hair.

if i had 1 down fall... it would be it does get alittle brassy but that is after about 20 washes!
for people who say it faded fast...i gaurantee they shower with hot water.
Red is the hardest to maintain and you MUST wash it in cold water to resist fading or the color will basically melt away.
i found that the first time i dyed it i always showered in hot water so thats why it faded faster than the other times. but I RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE WANTING THEIR HAIR RIHANNA RED!

L'Oreal Hicolor Highlights is my Miracle Dye.

but i still

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/14/2010 5:37:00 PM More reviews by internetgirl

I researched before I bought this. Reviews were positive and users claim it works on Asian hair when nothing else would. It was a disappointment. It did nothing to change my natural hair color except for a slight brownish color on my roots. Ugghh. I don't believe I spent over 20 dollars to buy two boxes of this so it would be enough to cover all my hair and a developer and it did nothing.

Edit: I tried the soft brown color to redye my hair which is a lighter brown. This time, I applied heat with a hairdryer so the product will process better on my hair. And it worked! The only negative thing is that the color wasn't brass free as claimed on the box.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2009 9:22:00 PM More reviews by Ekainn

Oh my gosh.... i bought this like 3 months ago so this is a pretty late review. :P anyways... i dyed my hair this light red color and i used garnier fructis hair dye. it did not show at all. there was only like this dark red tint. WOW. a few months later, i hated my black hair, so plain, barely and color. i needed to change it. i tried looking on youtube for something that would make my hair lighter or the color i wanted. then i came across this video: Dying black hair red without bleach. FINALLY!!! I def clicked on it and watched the whole video. She used 30 developer on her black hair and used this hair dye. i was so excited to try it. i asked my sister to drive me up to the nearest sally's and i bought this hair dye with butterflies in my stomach. i prayed it would work. literally. the next day i asked my sister again if she could dye my hair. i'm only 14 so i don't have experience. hah. she then mixed the developer and dye in a styrofoam bowl. (the box tells you how much) and started smoothing the dye through my hair section by section. it smelled good but very strong but i could take it. after we were done, i put a plastic bad over my head to speed up the process a bit. you put the dye 20 minutes on your ends and 10 minutes on your roots as you work you way up. so START AT THE ENDS. when the 30 minutes were up i took a shower and washed all the hair dye off, then used a color treated conditioner since it didn't come with one. don't worry you could use any conditioner. when i was done with EVERYTHING, i ran out of the shower, almost slipping, and looked in the mirror. WHAT THE FUDGE! IT WORKED! The top of my head was a reddish brown. and you could actually notice it! i was freakin' happy at the results of my hair. when i blow dried my hair, even better. the color stays on a long time. it's been like 3 months and it faded to a beautiful light brown. AWESOME! i will always use this dye forever! so if you have black hair, and nothing is working. def use this! it came from heaven! and god answered our prayers and made this. L'Oreal Excellence HiColor. (btw i used deep auburn red) good luck!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2009 2:58:00 PM More reviews by Kentauride

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a level 5 medium extremely ashy brown. Ashy like a grey cat! I have been unsuccessful in my goal which is to lift it just a couple of levels and have dark ashy blonde for the summer. Of course at level 5 there is a ton of red/orange underlying pigment that is revealed with the slightest whisper of peroxide and the only way I have ever managed this is with a double process bleach & toner. So I viewed the claims on this product's box with skepticism, but the girl at Sally's claimed it really worked, unlike the other supposedly high lift products I had previously tried. It claims to be for dark hair and my level is at the top of the range it listed. She recommended the vanilla champagne color.

Well, I should have listened to my gut. This product did NOT lift my hair 3-4 shades as promised and it certainly is NOT brass-free. The first application lifted one shade and did not drab the underlying red/orange at all. It was orange/red like a carrot - not a good color on me with my ashy eyebrows. I returned to Sally's to buy a toner and the girl (different girl!) insisted that it was a great product and recommended just using the same shade again. So what the heck, I tried it. I even bought fresh developer just in case mine had gone bad or something. Once again it lifted me only one level and did not drab at all. So now my hair is an extremely gingery level 7 but at least my base is now yellow/orange instead of orange/red. I will be putting some Radiance on it to mellow out the orange tones - at least that product I can trust!

What really bothers me is that they claim this can take a level 2 black up 3 to 4 levels with no brassiness? I don't see how that is possible when it can't even take a level 5 up one level with no brassiness. I would be willing to give it a try in the winter with a brown shade or darker, but I will never buy this product to go blonde again. I would have done less damage to my hair and spent less time and money by just using that tried and true method - bleach to banana yellow and tone from there.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2006 9:56:00 PM More reviews by exsupahero

I dyed my medium-dark brown hair with Hi-Color Soft Brown and it came out very nice. My hair is alot lighter without having to bleach it and I love the simplicity of the product. It doesn't look brassy whatsoever and I plan on buying this product again. :) The price is a bit expensive at ~$6 and you would have to buy the 30 oreor creme bottle (one large bottle is sufficient for many dye jobs) but since I have fine hair, I could just use half a tube. Overall, great product; definitely my favorite hair color. The only thing I don't like is the metal tube. Meh.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2006 9:54:00 PM More reviews by xvandalxeyesx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It takes my natural dark brown hair to the blondes as declared on the packaging without any bleaching at all. The tones aren't 100% brass-free but it does the job quite well and doesn't damage my hair all that much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2005 4:48:00 PM More reviews by valeriein

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is awesome. I gave my friend who has medium brown hair, beautiful caramel highlights all over using a cap. I then dyed my near black hair a flamin' red and the results are phenominal. So far no fading or damage and will repurchase.