December 22, 2014 | 1613 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Brilliantine

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 1:39:00 AM More reviews by Eastend_Snob

First time I purchased this, it was left forgotten behind my bathroom mirror and eventually tossed out during spring cleaning. I remember reading about in a forum or magazine and it piqued my interest. My hair is in much better condition now compared to a year ago, but it can look a little 'boring" when worn long and straight everyday. I'm not much of product junkie, but wanted to go back to something that could give my a hair a little texture without weighing it down. I remembered Brilliantine and decided I'd give it another shot. I find this works best on unwashed, slept in hair. It smells faintly of cucumbers and a pea sized amount is all I need because any more, and my hair immediately feels weighed down. All I do is work it gently over my hair, teasing it here and there, and the result is a lovely sort of definition or texture that really lifts my hair from being straight and boring. Price is a bit steep, and I've yet to find a dupe but I use it sparingly so this tube should last a while. Will buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2014 8:02:00 PM More reviews by smanha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have pretty fine hair, and this stuff doesn't weigh it down too much! Applying it to wet hair gives it more body, more life! Applying it to dry hair (I primarily only use it after blow drying) makes my hair smoother and shinier!
Since I barely use more than a dime's worth each use, it has lasted me months and months so far. The only reason I wouldn't but again is because I'd rather try some other product that has more to offer me, i.e. heat protection.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 4:51:00 PM More reviews by Bclancy

When attempting tousled, bed head or "beachy" styles, this cream is simply the best. I've tried many waxes, texture creams, salt sprays, "puttys", etc., in search of the ideal product for creating texture and separation. I've found that waxes and puttys are hard to spread evenly through hair without destroying the curls or waves and it's very hard to get the amount of product right. I usually get too much or too little. Texture creams and salt sprays usually either don't give me much texture or make my sticky and gunky. This cream is the best solution I've found so far. It gives nice separation without making my hair feel like it has a ton of product. It makes my hair shiny but not greasy. The consistency is very thin for a cream, which makes it easy to evenly distribute through dry hair. The consistency is also very light, I haven't had any issues with this weighing my hair down. As of 2014, the packaging is a pretty bronze tube with a screw top lid. I wish the lid was a flip top instead, because the screw top is inconvenient to close. This was an issue because I'd squirt a blob of product on my hand, then try to screw the lid back on the tube and the product would slide off my hand onto the floor. Now I just don't put the lid back on the tube until I have applied the product to my hair, but I would still prefer a flip top. I also wish Bumble & Bumble would give us a little more than 2 oz for $23. It's true that a little goes a long way with this product, but I've still used up my tube pretty fast. This product is still well worth it to me though; it is a unique product that really does what it says. I've heard that L'oreal Everstyle Tousle Creme is a dupe for Brilliantine. Since that is only $6 or $7 for a 5 oz I will try that when my tube is gone. If I end up not liking that I will definetly repurchase Brilliantine. Aside from the price, if you're interested in trying this product, I highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by StephanieAL

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have very healthy hair, but it always looks like it is missing something. With this, I feel like it was styled by a top professional. I am not sure what it does, exactly. It is definitely as the package describes--ineffable. It gives it great shine and texture. I don't go to an important event without this. And the best part is you use so little! I used to use Frederick Fekkai glossing cream. And although that took care of my frizz, it did not give my hair any style. Brilliantine takes care of frizz, style, and it adds something extra I can't put my finger on.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2013 12:24:00 PM More reviews by Hotflashes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love Brilliantine, I've used it forever. It's expensive, but I've never found anything else like it and I've repurchased it many times .... until now. L'Oreal Everstyle Tousle Creme performs exactly the same as Brilliantine for me, except I don't have to be as judicious about the amount. The Everstyle is a little thinner and easier to work with. HTH someone, it was a nice surprise for me and my wallet. I have collarbone length Botticelli/3a curls, when I use this I put it in very wet hair and I use no other product with it.

ETA: Try Purology Curl Taming Butter too. This is the best dupe of Bril yet.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2013 12:37:00 PM More reviews by inkyblaine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Like all Bumble&Bumble products this is expensive. I think I paid 25.00 for the smaller tube. I use just a touch on my damp hair and also use a root spray from another brand. I still don't fully understand what exactly this product does, but I do know that I usually have good hair days when I use it. It gives my hair a little volume and a nice texture My hair is pretty long and I use the smallest amount, a little more than the size of a big pea. Also, my hair is gross and thin and this stuff doesn't make my hair greasy, and for some reason I feel like it makes my hair seem more alive. You should try this.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 7:57:00 PM More reviews by j4yb1rd

This is the perfect finish to any hair style! Instead of adding more oils to my ends, this gets rid of fly aways and split ends, as well and adding shine, softness, and texture! I'm obsessed!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 5:54:00 AM More reviews by lilpea

The marketing blurb for this is pretty crap but I honestly have to admit its true - it does give a 'sexy slept-in look'. I have long layered asian hair and I scrunch a dab of this in the ends to give a bit of separation and smooth the wiry ends. It does not leave a crunchy or sticky/dirty feel like other texture products or creams. It is slightly richer than the grooming creme so I think this is good for thick coarse hair and the grooming creme for finer hair.
It is pretty pricey and hard to find outside of the US.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Angelique79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Scored a pretty bronze tube of this stuff for 13 bucks after trying a sample of it. This is my summer time staple. I live in NY, where it can get humid and for some odd reason, a lot of homes dont come with central air conditioning, so blow drying can really suck!

I've been trying to fall in love with the natural texture of my hair so I dont have to blow dry as much and this stuff by B&B really helps the courtship along! I use a curl enhancing cream on wet hair and air dry it as much as I can before blasting it with hot air for as little time as possible before putting it in a bun over night (my hair is color treated and porous so air drying takes FOREVER). Brilliantine goes on the next morning and it just polishes the texture I'm left with, defining the curls and waves and controls frizz and the best part is that all it takes is a pea sized dab and BAM! I'm done.

LOVE IT.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 11:56:00 PM More reviews by RagDollDance

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Super expensive for the size of the tube, but it lasts for over a year for me. I have near waist length (when straight) hair, and use this as a finishing product when straightening my hair. The smell is amazing, and it holds down the flyaways, and gives my hair beautiful texture. I love it.