November 28, 2014 | 1623 users online

Top/Base Coats - Avon - Nail Experts UV Gloss Guard

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 7/7/2012 1:41:00 PM More reviews by VintagePro

This stuff is great the first two or three times you use it. I've never seen a shinier top coat, and it lasts a long time. I've worn manicures nearly two weeks with no chips with this top coat.

The problem is that it starts to get thick VERY quickly. Adding thinner helps some, but not much. It gets so that brush strokes show up easily. To keep it from showing strokes, you have to use a coat so thick that bubbles form.

I like it the first few weeks after purchase, but the problems after that make it too frustrating to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2011 4:07:00 AM More reviews by xpetra82

is usefull to me because i always make my nails in bed and then i go to sleep and I get no sheet marks.Although my nails chip the third day.i have one bottle left in my personal stock but in avon sellers here in Greece is out of stock years now...so if anyone can tell me with what other product i can avoid sheet marks i would appreciate!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2011 7:19:00 PM More reviews by LauraP24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Excellent top coat, my manicure stays glossy and chip free for a week with this. Also important, it dries quickly. It's often on sale for $4.99 CDN and I have already re-purchased.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2011 9:47:00 AM More reviews by minyuette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my go-to topcoat and I can usually stock up when they go on sale.

The wear is perfect, it sets my polish in no time at all, and I get no sheet marks if I do my nails in the evening.

I can attest that the UV color guard does indeed work. I had my toes done in Sally Hansen's "Grass Slipper" for almost two weeks and when I was ready to change my polish I noticed that in the areas where I missed it with the topcoat the polish was hugely faded down from a bright spring green/chartreuse to almost a minty-blue green. Well, how about that!

Keep in mind this polish is a UV guard, it's not a polish that sets with a UV lamp. I wish they would change the name, it's a bit misleading.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2011 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Teiris

This is a decent top coat, leaves a nice glossy finish and does the job. I don't really know if it does actually filter out UV rays, so don't base your purchase decision on that. My polish still chips pretty quickly with this, but I work with animals so it will probably work better for someone who doesn't

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2011 11:36:00 AM More reviews by Shieldmaiden1196

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Some weeks I do my nails almost every day, so having an inexpensive fast-drying and shiny topcoat is a necessity. This fits the bill nicely. If I have more time and want more depth of shine I might go with something else, but this is my favorite 'git-r-done' topcoat. It also glides nicely over and fills in glitters. Unless I've really been abusing my hands I can get a week out of a mani with minimal tip wear and no shrinkage.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2010 4:22:00 PM More reviews by honeylocs

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've had this for some time, just used it again yesterday. I find that it performs differently depending on the polish used underneath. I painted all five fingers on one hand with different polishes and patterns, applied the Gloss Guard over each after they dried, and got different results. On two fingers, the finish is wet, wet shine. One one finger, the finish is a little shiny, but not wet look. On the last two fingers, the finish is not quite matte, but duller than the others.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/3/2009 7:45:00 PM More reviews by bbBearBear

Got it on sale, I really want to love it because of the low price. I think most top and base coats are over priced on the market. Chip resistance wise is ok, like other top coats, it last 2 to 3 days. It's not really glossy or shiny, quite dull. Thirdly, it went extremely thick after I used it for 2 weeks - I still have 70% left. So.. definitely not worth to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2008 6:39:00 PM More reviews by MissBrittanyM

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

love this glossy top coat more than any other! gives a high-gloss over any nail enamel with one coat, and lasts forever. works better for me than anything by opi or orly. plus, it's cheap... $6 normally, and usually on sale for much less. got my mom hooked on it, and just purchased another bottle for myself this week.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2006 5:58:00 PM More reviews by mz_simmonz

The brush is great, and it looks really nice and glossy when I first put it on but then the finish becomes dull after it dries in a few minutes. Plus, after two days, it started peeling already. Will not buy again.