Clarins UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40 [DISCONTINUED]

4.2

Active: Titanium Dioxide 8.1%; Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Corn Starch Modified, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Butyl Phenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

on 5/2/2015 10:24:00 AM

I originally tried this product some years ago, and while it wasn't my favourite sunscreen I thought it was pretty good. But when I tried to repurchase, I found it had been reformulated, and had been changed to an spf 50 with something called "sanicle flower" added. I didn't mind the extra spf, although I don't think that amount really makes much difference. Nor did I mind some new ingredient, if it didn't change the overall result.

Unfortunately, the new formulation leaves a white mask-like effect on my face, even after it's been left five minutes to sink in. In the mirror, I look like a ghost! And it even shines white through my makeup, so there's no way of looking normal with this sunscreen on.

Even worse, it's been given a strong new scent, which caused my rosace to break out really badly. Within ten minutes of putting on the product, my face was stinging and burning, and turning bright red beneath the white of the sunscreen. I had to remove it at once.

Why, oh why, can't they leave products alone? Clarins is the worst company for reformulating their skincare, with no warning. I will never try their products again.

on 3/27/2015 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using this sunscreen for 2 years and I'm really mad to find out it does not protect against long-wave UVA rays - the ones that cause you to tan and that also cause aging of the skin. The reason is that this sunscreen contains only titanium dioxide and no zinc oxide. I thought I had done my due diligence and was ok as it says "broad spectrum" on the bottle - not so! I had a feeling something was wrong as I still tanned on my face (which I do not want) and I have melasma on my cheeks that's been worsening even though I'm wearing high spf every day. Well now I know why, and I'll be using Colleen Rothschild even though it's only spf 25, at least it contains both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Sheesh.

on 11/21/2014 9:02:00 AM

I dont know why people say this sunscreen sucks & doesnt work for them..i've been using the for about 5 years (since i'm in year 10!!) and keep buying it till now..they're the best as they make my face brighter and the last all day..i dont need to use it twice a day..here in Sydney can get up to 40C in summer.. i use this cream in a normal amount whenever I go to the beach..My face NEVER ONCE get burnt!! Even when my body got tanned..it has a nice consistency and it's really oil free unless u use a handful of it!! The best sunscreen ever!!

on 11/11/2014 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have not used this product; I received a sample of it from Sephora recently but have not tried it yet. And I probably won't. I want to point out something important: this product only has titanium dioxide, which only protects against UVB rays and leaves UVA rays to wreak havoc. UVA rays are the ones that penetrate into the skin's dermis further, causing the most skin damage and aging us faster. Many people are saying they are still tanning while using this product and this is why. Find something that truly protects you; this just gives a lot of false confidence.

on 10/9/2014 11:44:00 PM

I've since switched from this to the Chanel UV Essentiel, but while I was using this I was very satisfied with it and would put it on under my base makeup daily.

It has a runny texture that applies smoothly and thinly. Give it a minute to absorb and then apply your base makeup. I never had any reactions to this formula, though that's probably because my skin isn't very sensitive, knock on wood.

I always like to compare this with the aforementioned Chanel UV Essentiel. While both do a fairly great job, the Clarins one is the less expensive option and gives you more product at the same time.

on 8/15/2014 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

I really wanted to love this beause Clarins is one of the best-reputed brands in the market that is also making a physical sunscreen. However, because it is hard to wash off, I will not be purchasing again. I feel like it leaves a mask behind on my face despite my double-cleansing (I use Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, which easily gets my makeup off but can't seem to get past this sunscreen). If you use a heavy duty cleanser, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Pros
-Physical ss
-Nice packaging
-No parabens
-Smooths on well, white cast minimal on my NC40 skintone

Cons
-Highly fragranced
-Doesn't wash off well with a gentle cleanser
-Super pricey, considering how much sunscreen you're supposed to apply for it to be effective
-Contains only titanium dioxide, which some sources say doesn't protect against aging long-range UVA rays as well as zinc oxide does

on 5/31/2014 5:10:00 PM

This is the most expensive sunscreen that I have ever purchased! I have always loved milky formulas for sunscreens instead of heavy creams. And I used to use the ones that Shiseido made but I wanted to try something different. I have heard really good things about this product and I have to agree it is pretty awesome. It goes on my skin very smoothly. It doesn't make my face feel oily. I use this everyday and it has not broke me out at all. I would definitely recommend this!

on 5/23/2014 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Makes me peel :(
Perfect in every way besides that. Need to find a physical sunscreen that doesn't cause such crazy dryness.

on 5/17/2014 11:10:00 PM

I like the texture of this sunscreen. This is comparable to other lightweight sunscreens that use chemical sun protection. I prefer this one because I do not like layering on chemical sunscreens and prefer physical blocker sunscreen. This has a fluid texture and blends into my skin well. This is a little bit fragranced for me, but I will still continue to use it.

on 5/9/2014 11:58:00 AM

Really great sunscreen. Easy application. Not sticky or oily. I love the fact that it has a little bit of color to even out skin tone on no-makeup days. Will definitely purchase again although it's a bit pricey.

Top Rated Clarins Products