December 21, 2014 | 885 users online

Top/Base Coats - Chanel - Protective Base Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2014 1:45:00 PM More reviews by marybob

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I read some stellar reviews about this base coat and it seems sensible to me that the base coat is a very important step. One that does not increase peeling or breakage is something I continue to search for. After 3 days of this product the whites of my nails have practically turned to dust. There is nothing exceptional in the ingredients, so in my opinion this product is way over priced.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2011 4:19:00 AM More reviews by ceen

Although reasonably quick drying and, at first, generally smooth to apply, this product became somewhat gloopy over time. So, in the end, a disappointment despite initial positive results.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 2:36:00 PM More reviews by mrsminniver

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

An excellent product. Have been using it lately and am surprised to find a base coat that surpasses many products that specialises in just nail products. I have nails which are constantly splitting and heavily ridged ... being 45 years old. Housework takes its toll on hands and nails as well and splitting nails are a constant presence. I am NOT saying that this product repairs the damage but it certainly protects against further damage. Having said that, I am still vigilant on other aspects of caring for my nails, like massaging nail cream onto my cuticles and doing the hand cream nightly ritual etc.
I also need to add that Chanel has another base coat which aims at filling ridges (Nail Polish Protective Base Coat). I use this Protective Base Coat and follow with the Nail Polish Protective Base. Then 2 coats of polish followed by the top coat. All I can say is that when I removed my polish, I was surprised that I did not have to trim my nails as usual (they're constantly trimmed because of splits). It's just so odd to see my nails longer than they usually are. I think my search may actually be over!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2011 2:25:00 PM More reviews by EnglishRoseAmongThorns

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is for the new version of this Base coat which is still known as Protective Base. I used to use the old one which was green in colour and I loved that one. I love this one too same great performance, it seems to fill any ridges even though it is not the ridge filling base from chanel. It never lets my nails get stained and my nails never peel when I use this, every other base coat I have tried makes my nails peel.

It is super expensive but I feel it is completely worth it for keeping my nails healthy. i also like it on it's own when I don't have time for a full mani but need some protection. I will re-buy but I want to try the ridge-filling base next to compare!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 3:04:00 PM More reviews by serrabird

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My ultimate base coat so far. Over the years, I have gone through a huge number of base coats including OPI Nail Envy (I know it's a 'treatment' and not a base coat but what the hell, I've used it as a base for years), Sally Hansen's rather unsuccessful attempts at base coats, Jessica's various ones, Nails Inc., Seche, Barielle, Essie, etc.
Chanel Protective Base Coat is the only base I have used that keeps the dark polishes chip-free for a week. I obsessively use Chanel's own Rouge Noir and other dark colours and the tiny chipping shows immediately the next day. Not with this one. It also protects the nails from drying out and staining far better than the others I have used so far. It is very expensive (16 in UK) but considering the fantastic quality, the packaging, the brand and durability of the product, I think it is good value. After all, you pay for Chanel.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by katiafloup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my HG base coat! My manis lat for a week with no chips, I've tried many other base coats like Orly Bonder, Nair Armor, Nubar Foundation etc and I'm telling you this is by far the best! I will buy this one again even if it pricy for a base coat. Oh also it prevents staining and from what I see it works as a ridge filler too! I really want to try the top coat too but I don't know if it is fast drying and I have no patience when it comes to top coats!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by pickles945

I like to paint my nails, so they tend to get yellowly (gross, I know). Heard great things about this base coat, and was sold by the anti-yellow claims. So far, I like it. I hate the packaging because of the square pull off lid (I am THAT lazy), but I do love the consistency of the varnish and how smoothly it settles on the nail. Recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2010 7:00:00 AM More reviews by charcoalmains

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was using Sally Hansen Nail Quencher before this but compared to that, Chanel protective base coat is in a class of it's own. My nails don't split, stain or peel, this base keeps them moisturized and healthy. I will use this as the base, then two coats of colour (I usually use OPI, Chanel or Dior) then Chanel Quick Shine for Nails as the topcoat and my manicures usually last about a week and even then the slight chipping around the edges will only be on a couple of fingers and is not very noticeable. I've been using the same bottle for over 6 months now and it still works well. I will definitely repurchase, but I'm tempted to try Nailtek as I hear that's good too.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2009 11:50:00 PM More reviews by Miss_Porcelain

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wear a lot of dark nail colours and it always protects the nail well resulting in no staining and minimalises chipping:-)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2009 12:06:00 PM More reviews by Wendiva

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this base coat. I have been looking for a base coat and top coat that would make my manicures last for one week. I hate having to paint my nails more than once per week. I keep inspecting my nails looking for a crack or a chip but guess what? There are none to be found. I've washed dishes and the dog (without gloves) and my nails are PERFECT. I can't believe it. I use the Chanel base coat and top coat...my polish is Essie. I am going to try this base coat along with a Chanel polish...maybe I can get my manicures to last for two weeks...wishful thinking. :)

This product has been discontinued in the USA; however, I usually take a few international trips per year so I buy this at the Duty Free stores in the airport or in the local stores.

I am not sure if it's still available in Canada or not but it's definitely available in Europe and South America. If you find it, BUY IT. You will not regret it.