November 23, 2014 | 1982 users online

Eye Shadow - Kevyn Aucoin - The Essential Eyeshadow Set - Palette 2

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by notagoodidea

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's ok but not as good as #1. Waaay too frosty.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2009 4:43:00 PM More reviews by cherryjane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This palette was pretty expensive for me, but I got it through VS (when they carried it) and I had a g/c. The colors are amazing staples - light pink highlighter, white highlighter, beige highlighter, along with a greyish lavender and black. The lavender makes for a really great smokey eye and the rest of the colors are awesome basics. You'll definitely get a lot of use out of this palette, if you cough up the cash!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 1:53:00 AM More reviews by eternalstarangel

I saw this palette on one of sephora's emails and just had to have it as it looked simply gorgeous...so i marched down to sephora to look for it...and they didn't have it...luckily, a store at santana row had these on sale (10% off) so after i stood there playing with the shadows thinking they were too shimmery and maybe not worth it, I snagged one anyways, regretting it for a while as i stared at the swatches on my hand. I then hesitantly tried it on my lids in the car and was still relatively unimpressed by them as they were really sheer, though not quite as shimmery as they had been on my arm. I decided to give them a try again the next day and simply fell in love...out of all the eyeshadow brands I have tried thusfar (smashbox, stila, mac, dior, napolean, sephora, ulta, nars, chanel)...these are by far the most easily blended...they are gorgeously silky and lovely and blend seamlessly without any harsh lines (probably due to how sheer the shadows themselves are) the shadows are all fairly sheer, but definitely buildable, making them versatile. i absolutely love these and will probably be collecting more ka palettes/shadows in the future :]

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by Nekura

This is a really beautiful quint. I've yet to be impressed by neutral eyeshadow shades for a long time except those by Shu Uemura. I've always been interested in Kevyn Aucoin cosmetics, though a bit hard to find.. I'm more than pleased to own this palette.

It is essential as it says and a very versatile palette at that so don't judge from what might seem like a bland colour spectrum from a glance. This sleek palette with 5 shades offers more than enough for low key days where you just want to brighten your lids with a wash, neutral work days, just a very polished look, to a sultry night time taupe/brown smokey eye. The eyeshadows have a sheer formula that's buildable, a creamy texture, easy to blend with a very nice luminance with 4 of the shades (minus the charcoal). I don't find the shades glittery at all but instead of have a very soft peal finish often found in Japanese cosmetics. It provides a soft glow to the face and brightens your eyes instantly without being garish, chunky, or metallic. I was very surprised to find this quality of finish in eyeshadow from a non-Asian brand. The colours are well coordinated that it's almost effortless to mix and match different looks. While the price might seem steep for some, this is truly a high end product when it comes to quality that it's worth the price tag of $55. If you're a fan of shu uemura or LUNASOL, you'll love the texture to this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2008 10:30:00 PM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I’ve always wanted to try Kevyn Aucoin eyeshadow palettes, but at $55 a palette, I just couldn’t justify it. Well I finally got my hands on this palette and I guess all the ooo-ing and ahhh-ing make a bit more sense now. It’s not a spectacular looking palette – a matte charcoal black and low shimmer neutral taupe, light tan, white, and beige. I was thinking – yawwwn, have all these shades, so what? But you know what – this palette is most excellent! With the exception of the charcoal, these colors are not heavily pigmented, but a just-right medium pigment. And they’re not too softy and gooey – rather powder, but not dry – which makes application fairly breezy. These eyeshadows REALLY DO have great lasting power – although I did use Urban Decay Primer Potion underneath. You can definitely create a wide range of looks with this palette from subtle make up to neutral to smoky nighttime. The casing is a sleek darken red with a substantial mirror and rather nice travel applicators. I have this palette on my swap list because the colors aren’t wowing me, but I’m thinking I will take it off soon because it is a really great quality palette – if not a bit expensive.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2007 3:25:00 AM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

These shadows lasted on my lids from 9 AM to 3 AM, no creasing and very very minimal fading with no trace of primer to hold them there. That's pretty damn good to me. Great colors, slim palette with large pans of shadow, pricey but totally worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2007 2:24:00 PM More reviews by Mandy217

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

HG purse palette for me (brunette, hazel-eyed PPP)...everything you need for both a daytime neutral and nighttime smoky eye. Great for travelling light, also. Others have described the colors well...I especially like the smoky lavender, as it reminds me of both Moth Brown and The Real McCoy, two of my favorites. Highly pigmented and excellent quality, as can be expected from KA, as well as a gorgeous and streamlined case. Love.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2006 11:43:00 AM More reviews by electra_cd

Bought this for the silver-plum (InStyle featured it for fair skinned, dark haired ppl like me) but this has now become my smoky eye staple. Others have done a great job describing colors. I use the charcoal grey wet with a liner brush for lots of other looks and the champagne looks great on its own.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2005 2:40:00 PM More reviews by lmande

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great eyeshadow! This is the ONLY brand I've found to date that doesn't crease. Very smooth application and great, subtle colors. I highly recommend.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2005 3:40:00 PM More reviews by tagg

I wanted to like this so, so much! However I am very disappointed.

The colours are as described but what the other posters don't mention is the amount of shimmer in them... so much so that I think "glittery" is appropriate. It's just too much for everyday wear. Normally the gray-plum and the pale champagne would be the colours I'd wear most but the glitter makes them too garish for daytime. And I find the texture doesn't blend easily.

The package is lovely to look at but it gets scratched up easily and the tiny applicators are no better than what you'd get in drugstore-brand eyeshadows.

Very expensive for the quality. I'm going back to my Laura Mercier individual shadows... her Sandstone is the most lovely soft shimmery peachy-beige ever.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No