MAC Velvet Teddy

4.4

Octyldodecanol, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Silica, Tricaprylyl Citrate, Ozokerite, Isononyl Isononanoate, Paraffin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Microcrystalline Wax\Cera Microcristallina\Cire Microcristalline, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax\Cera Carnauba\Cire De Carnauba, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Vanillin, Acrylates Copolymer, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Stearyl Stearoyl Stearate, [+/-Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine, Red 6, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 21 Lake, Red 28 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Red 33 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake]

on 9/1/2015 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Beautiful nude for my skin tone nc35. In love with this shade. Can be worn throughout the day and into the night. Have repurchased this product numerous of times.

on 8/29/2015 5:34:00 PM

I have really pale, cool toned skin and I'd wanted to get this for such a long time but I was convinced it would be too much of a dark brown colour with my hair and eyes. Still, I bought it eventually and I absolutely LOVE it- it's a great colour and it has a really longlasting, matte finish that I find doesn't dry out my lips at all.

on 8/28/2015 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

This is my perfect MLBB shade! Im a light medium with yellow undertones (NC30) and this is almost the same shade as my natural lips! I pair this with everything, from Taupe to lip gloss and it looks great!

on 8/24/2015 6:39:00 PM

right when i right out, i'm running to mac to buy another one. it is the PERFECT nude for me nc25/ sometimes 30 skin. and thats surprising because NO nudes ever look good on me, it always look like i just forgot to wipe the foundation off my lips. but velvet teddy.. omgggggg it makes my lips look pouty and plump ( the new look ) its the most perfect everyday color or with a really intense smokey eye. even with just this and mascara, it looks amazing

on 8/12/2015 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am one of those girls who buys whatever that is popular or trendy because a good looking celebrity wears it. :( Would never do something silly like that again!

I fell in LOVE with the nude -mauve trend- and tried BRAVE lipstick by MAC which I LOVE on my NC25 skin :) I also LOVE Sandwashed Pink by Bobbi Brown as its the *perfect* nude on me. I also bought Velvet Teddy, because on PINTEREST it was literally everywhere, and girls posted their flawless photos of themselves sporting this lovely mauve Kylie Jenner lips. So being the sucker that I am, I rushed to MAC to buy it. I tried it on in store and I thought it looked good, but when I got home I wore it quite a few times and I realized it was making my skin look SO DULL and the lipstick had a gray-undertone to it.

Keep in mind everyone is different, and the color that the lipstick shows as will all depend on your skin, facial features, hair color, etc. For me, I got NO nude color, only a brown-gray color.

A part of me believed that if I wear a shade Kylie Jenner wears, then I will look more like kylie jenner. NO. Why was I so idiotic to think like this?? Time to wear something that it ME, I am not going to be dictated by what is hot or popular anymore... I don't need validation that a color I am wearing is adored by everyone.

I would like to give it away... off to Craigslist it goes.

on 8/11/2015 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This is my favourite everyday nude. It pairs really well with my nw25 skin and its one of those lippies i will throw on if i dont know what else to wear. I dont find it drying either i just make sure i exfoliate my lips prior (not every time). This will show up really brown on paler skins but i think it will still look great!

This lipstick is the Hedwig to my Harry Potter.

Velvet Teddy is my go-anywhere, trustworthy companion: completely dependable and I'd be pretty lost if it died (or, uh, if MAC decided to discontinue it). I've worn this just about every day this summer because it's just so easy to pull off. Velvet Teddy, despite being rather subdued in comparison to the reds and wines I love, still holds its own and manages to stand out among the hordes of pale pinks and peachy nudes.

I have a cool olive NC20-25 skin tone, and I often find myself reaching more towards brown- and beige-based lip colors as coral and pastels tend to bring out the greenness in my skin and make me look sallow. Therefore I tend to avoid peach or pink in my lipstick and instead gravitate toward the more neutral side of the spectrum rather than skewing too cool or too warm (I have a strange quality to my skin tone where some days I'm more fair and pink, or more tanned and golden, but that might just be because I'm olive). I may as well be a boggart.

In order to provide a reference, I love Milani Teddy Bare (maybe my Patronus is a bear, I dunno) and NYX SMLC in Abu Dhabi. Both are quite brown-based colors--Abu Dhabi is a bit more peachy but not overly so--and can look very unflattering on others. For example, my very warm toned NC25 friend prefers Kinda Sexy over Velvet Teddy, as the latter makes her face look flat and sort of reminiscent of an Inferius crossed with a Dementor (not her words, but hey, embellishment for the sake of embellishment can't hurt).

Velvet Teddy on me is a creamy pinky brown with a hint of beige, almost taupe. Depending on the day and the pigmentation of my lips, it can range from a nude to a deep earthy neutral. I think it's absolutely fantastic either way, and I wear it just about every single day that I do my makeup. It lends itself well to dramatic smokey looks, as well as the laziest of days when all I can bother to put on are concealer, mascara, and lipstick. It does not wash me out and looks lovely with rosy cheeks.

In terms of its famous dupe, I have tried Wet 'n' Wild's Bare It All time and time again in the hopes it will work for me, but to no avail. Despite looking like Velvet Teddy's twin on everyone else, Bare It All just pulls slightly too peachy to work for my complexion--this being said, it works just fine for my NC30 mother where Velvet Teddy looked too brown. If Velvet Teddy looked off on you, then Bare It All might work, and vice versa.

This works well over Spice lip pencil (if you want a lower end alternative, you could take a look at Rimmel Epic, Essence Honey Bun, or NYX Ever) for a 90s lip, and over Jordana Rock 'n' Rose to match the mauvey-nude side of this beautiful chameleon. If I don't use a lip liner, then I'll just apply it straight from the tube and blot with a tissue and repeat as needed: this makes the color more natural-looking for my lips and I really like how it looks.

My only complaint would be that this photographs strangely and more pink than I would prefer, but I digress. It's a minor flaw to a wonderful product.

I am already on my second tube of this, which is the first time I've ever been able to say that I've finished an entire tube of lipstick; even though I'm no Professor Trelawney, I foresee many future repurchases. I've tried other neutral lip colors from MAC including Modesty--too pink--and Taupe--too warm--but I just keep coming back to this. It's definitely a holy grail product for me.

All in all, I'd say Velvet Teddy got Outstanding in all of its N.E.W.T.s (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests), and no 'Avada Kedavra' is going to take it from me.

on 8/1/2015 6:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The Kylie Jenner lipstick! I'm amazed I managed to pick this up, it is hugely popular.
Velvet Teddy is labelled as a matte lipstick, and it is definitely a great, neutral colour that can be worn throughout the year.
Compared to other lipsticks from MAC with this supposed 'matte' formula, I found Velvet Teddy to have more of a satin finish. It was certainly not sheer, but it wasn't matte the same way that Ruby Woo (for example) is.
I love how easy this lipstick is to apply, and because of its colour and its matte-not matte formula it was relatively low-maintenance and feathering was minimal.
The price was the same as all matte lipsticks, about 19.50. I reckon it is worth this price.
I'd like to mention that I have very dry lips and this lipstick did a good job of not making them look too prune-like.
I think this colour looks really lovely paired with the lip-liner Spice (also from MAC) and a dramatic eye make-up look, perhaps a grey smoky eye.

on 7/23/2015 5:10:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I love this lipstick! It is such a beautiful nude colour and suits me really well. I love mac lipsticks because they always have a wonderful vanilla smell and velvet teddy seems to have this more than any of the others I have tried. As much as I do love it, it is really drying on the lips and can only be worn if lips are perfectly exfoliated. I find myself reapplying quite often though, especially after eating or drinking but it s so worth it for the finish it can add to any makeup look.

on 7/22/2015 4:20:00 PM

THIS COLOUR. I bought it after seeing Kylie Jenner wear it (I'm not going to lie) as I absolutely adore the colours she wears, they look amazing! Being completely honest, swiped from left to right on the lips, it doesn't suit my NW15 skin tone personally, but blotted onto the lips, it looks absolutely beautiful! The perfect taupe nude shade, and I would recommend this technique to anyone who doesn't like the colour on the initial first try. Not overly drying as it is a creamy matte rather than a Retro Matte.

I would buy again!