MAC Velvet Teddy

4.4

Octyldodecanol, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Silica, Tricaprylyl Citrate, Ozokerite, Isononyl Isononanoate, Paraffin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Microcrystalline Wax\Cera Microcristallina\Cire Microcristalline, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax\Cera Carnauba\Cire De Carnauba, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Vanillin, Acrylates Copolymer, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Stearyl Stearoyl Stearate, [+/-Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine, Red 6, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 21 Lake, Red 28 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Red 33 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake]

on 5/20/2015 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Possibly my favorite lipstick by MAC.

It's a neutral pink-beige lipstick that compliments my medium yellow skin tone perfectly.
I like to layer this on top of MAC's whirl or boldly bare lipliners!

Would repurchase.

on 5/19/2015 5:05:00 AM

I'm pretty new at this neutral game...all I've ever been able to pull off are some mid-tone pinks and reds. The most adventurous I think I've gotten was a dark red. Yikes. But now I'm really having fun with neutrals as I'm trying to step up my makeup game, ya dig? Velvet Teddy is awesome for beginners venturing into non-blatant colors (still waiting on a restock of that Whirl liner) but paired with thick brows and some gold/rose/ice white eyeshadow..dope! 90s makeup ftw! Fyi I have light Asian skin-tone. Light all things awesome, you're going to have to wear it around a few times to get used to the slightly "off" look...but I guarantee this shade is flattering! :)

on 5/18/2015 4:36:00 AM

All I can say is YASSSS. This product is perfect

on 5/16/2015 9:13:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I absolutely love this color for reference I'm estee lauder double wear in 2w2 Rattan and the shade is beautiful i cant believe I held out from buying it I thought it wouldn't look right on my skin tone but its such an amazing color I will keep stocking up on this.

on 4/30/2015 7:06:00 PM

I dont necessarily like this because of how it looks on me. Im somewhat pale and have rosy lips so this just washes me out too much. The formula is on the dry side and looks kind of dry even with lip balm underneath. It is really pigmented though and I thought the color gives a fuller/poutier look to the lips.

I bought this because of Brittney Lee Saunders from Youtube. She's hilarious. and I would frequently see her wearing this fantastic shade of lipstick I knew I had to have. She informed us she was wearing Velvet Teddy from M.A.C., and I immediately hopped online to buy it.

Now let me say it. I love me some Velvet Teddy. Like many lipsticks, they are either too shiny or too matte, and this is the perfect in-between satin formulation and finish that I personally adore. It is that perfect mauvey with a touch of brown, that is pretty universally flattering on just about everyone. Another big perk for me and those who are vanilla lovers, is the smell of M.A.C.'s lipsticks, which smell like, you guessed it. Vanilla! I really look forward to looking into their other products as well. I'm climbing aboard the M.A.C. Train! Woo!

Olive NC20, black hair, brown eyes for reference.

I bought Velvet Teddy today (er, yesterday, it's 2 am here) after a lot of debating on whether or not I'd actually wear it. I'm happy enough with my purchase to say that I will! This is the first nude lipstick that I've found truly suits me, and my only complaint is that Velvet Teddy can emphasize flaws in your lips, so it's best if you exfoliate and moisturize.

I'd chosen VT rather than Taupe, which I'd tried on in the store. Taupe is easier to pull off, but can lean too warm in the wrong lighting and make me look sallow. It's also deeper and not really a nude, which was what I was looking for. (I also realized Taupe looks EXACTLY like Wet 'n' Wild's Sandstorm on me, so you might want to check that out if you're interested!)

I highly disagree that Wet 'n' Wild's Bare it All is a dupe for Velvet Teddy. When I first bought Bare it All, thinking it was a dupe, I hated it on myself. It was too warm and just always looked "off." But after trying Velvet Teddy and falling in love, I decided to really compare the two and see why they had such different effects on me. Bare it All is MUCH peachier, swatched both on my arm and my non-pigmented lips. With my olive skintone I prefer cooler toned lipsticks, and I try to stay away from pastels and coral colors because those can emphasize the sallow tones or greenness of my skin and any yellow in my teeth. Bare it All or Just Peachy, I think, would be closer to Kinda Sexy (also by MAC, but I don't own this so I'm not 100% certain)!

It's interesting to note that my best friend, an NC25, prefers Kinda Sexy to Velvet Teddy--the beige tones in VT didn't suit her warmer skin, but they offset the rest of my own coloring. So Velvet Teddy is more cool-toned than Bare it All and Kinda Sexy, and for me it's easier to pull off. It's a shade lighter than what you see in the bullet, and can look off on people with warmer skin as Bare it All looked off on me. In all, I'd say Velvet Teddy is a lipstick you should try before you buy. But if VT doesn't work for you, maybe Kinda Sexy will!

on 4/16/2015 6:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

after looking at review pictures of this lipstick i decided to give it a try. I was hoping it would be like a darkish nude on me coz i dont like nudes since it makes me look ill. I was kinda disappointed when i applied it coz it looked too pale. Wasnt what had i expected at all.
Maybe its because of the color of my natural lips or my skin tone im not so sure.
Its not a bad formula, could be a bit drying but just use some lipbalm before and it will be fine.
Overall it wasnt a bad experience, i just wished it was a tad darker on my lips. I wouldnt repurchase this one, going to try darker shades next time.

on 4/14/2015 6:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This was my first MAC lipstick purchase, and I'm so glad it is such a wearable colour which I'm not afraid to wear, doesn't bleed and is the creamiest matte lipstick I have ever bought!

I was lucky in buying the last Velvet Teddy the store had in stock, which looks like a nice browney nude on me. Although it has a matte finish, it doesn't feel drying whatsoever, almost creamy, and it glides beautifully. This is the kind of colour that will suit almost anybody, just with different effects on different skin tones for example; brown on light skin tones and nude on medium skin tones.

I'm over the MAC price tags now, because although $36 AUD (yeah Americans: this is what we have to pay for one lipstick!) they're such good quality I don't even question it anymore.

Packaging is beautiful and convenient as always, no need to fear of it melting in your handbag (fun fact, I had this in my bag on the floor of a plane [which can get pretty warm] and it was still in perfect condition after a 12 hour plane ride!)

10/10 would recommend!

on 4/13/2015 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The most beautiful lipstick ever! It is such a wearable colour and is just overall stunning. Its a bit pricy but totally worth it! Highly recommended!

Popular Lipsticks