December 21, 2014 | 1837 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Damned

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2014 10:01:00 PM More reviews by PeonyRed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I might have gotten a bad one or something, but this applies very patchy on me. I know it's not the line itself because I also have this pencil in the shade cruella, so it's pretty weird. But the color is a lovely dark color that compliments my cool, fair skin. I just never end up wearing this because of the patchy application. Such a shame.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by Jhe9488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Its a gorgeous color - great for for day and night, its a berry tone, but not in your face. I also like that it's in a pencil; with dark colors, it just gives you so much more control so your lipstick isn't all over your face. And its small enough to easily fit in small purse. I like it by itself matte or with a very sheer gloss, but you can also definitely amp it up with a a dark gloss. Sometimes I use it with the CD Dior Addict gloss in Flash (deep purple) and its a super dramatic vampy dark lip for a night out. Even if the gloss wears off, the color underneath lasts all night.

The one thing I will say is that the matte formula can be a bit drying if your lips are prone to being chapped in the wintertime like mine. But problem is easily solved if you put some lip balm on 15 minutes before applying.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by Meriange

I can not live without it!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2013 1:46:00 PM More reviews by absolia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Gorgeous, as always. These velvet matte lip pencils are my favorite lip products, period. This one is my go-to for fall. I wear it with Buxom's blush in Shangri-La-La. The best thing about these pencils is that they look so chic and with so little effort, and they barely smudge off, AND it barely feels like you're wearing anything. ONLY complaint is that with this one, I have to put on a lot for it to really pop.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Damned is going to be my go-to lip color for Fall! I've been looking for a berry/wine lip color for some time now and Damned is perfect. Applied lightly its a sheer berry stain, applied more heavily its a vampy matte blackberry lipstick so you can adjust it based on your comfort level. I always apply lipbalm before wearing matte lip colors but I think Velvet Matte lip pencils are slightly more emollient than most matte lip products. Like another reviewer mentioned, this doesn't wear evenly and tends to leave a ring of color around the outside of my lips after eating and drinking, which I haven't experienced with other Velvet Matte lip pencils. However, I love this color and I'll put up with uneven wear and just reapply more often.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 8:31:00 AM More reviews by greenlacqueraddict92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was only supposed to get the NARS eyeshadow primer everyone's been racing about, since I have the oiliest ever. But I was too intrigued by Cruella and La Paz to exit without getting those. The SA was very enthusiastic and swatched this gorgeous berry color on me, and on the ride home, I just couldn't bear to erase it and instead kept staring at how lovely the color looked on my skin. After a week, I went back to the mall with a close friend and hoped against hope that the SA still remembered me. She did, and she knew what I was looking for. Damned in all of its beautiful, vampy glory. I have hesitated to wear this to my classes because it's a little too dramatic for daywear, but I thought that it wouldn't hurt to break the rules ever so often. So I did and got compliments. I wore this to a recent family reunion too and gotten more compliments. Damned is beautiful and you will not regret getting it. I cheat on Cruella - my favorite red - with this one, and I make sure that Damned, Cruella, and a YSL Touche Eclat is always in my bag whenever I go out.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 8:07:00 PM More reviews by rosieex3

A wonderful everyday matte lipstick. I originally purchased it solely because of the beautiful color which caught my eye immeadietly. "Damned" is one of those shades that works well year round. You can apply it with a light hand for a beautiful medium pink color, or build it up to a deep cool-toned berry color. Although this shade is dark enough to fit in with the winter trends, it is not vampy. After owning this lipstick for a few months, I am completely in love with the formula and texture. It has quite the ideal consistency. No clumping, drying, feathering, and it stays put! It feels very light and nice on my lips. After four hours of wearing this lipstick, the color is still very much there. Once it starts to fade from eating or drinking, it fades from the inside-out; almost creating an ombre effect. In conclusion, I'd recommend this product to anyone looking for a lipstick with easy application and great quality. No lip liner needed! It's a little pricey, but worth it. And did I mention how much I adore matte lips? Perfect!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by tootswoots

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I do really like this pencil, I love the color, I like the consistency, I like how it doesn't waste a lot of product when sharpening.

BUT the one thing that stops it from being amazing in my book is it fades unevenly on my mouth.... Perhaps this is a matte lipstick thing? I don't know. but it def fades the inner lip part long before the outer portion which just looks strange. I haven't found any flaking from this l/s but I have had it from other matte or longwear l/s. I do kinda want to try another color like a MLBB. let's see....

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2013 3:20:00 PM More reviews by didi23

I love the name I feel like a vampire when I wear this. For starters it is a lipstick or can be a liner but it more lipstick than anything else. I love the finish it gives a very matte look but it is so velvety smooth. Hence the name. This is a soft plummy wine tone that is not super pigmented. But more coats will give the desired effect.
This needs to be sharpened with a good sharpener, or else product will be wasted. Packaging is pretty basic. Wish it was an auto pencil that way I wont be bothered with sharpening. It is slightly drying, but a light balm under will work.
For my NW48 tone, I pair it with MAC nightmoth liner for a 90's ombre effect. Gets tons of attention and gives a very vampy full lip look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2012 12:32:00 AM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

LOVE Damned! I wear it one of two ways: for a day look apply one light coat for a soft, stained lip.....its a very beautiful berry color that gives that just bitten look. For a night out you can make this lip very vampy, just apply two heavy coats! i like to apply a 3rd around the outer border of my lips as liner to add depth and dimension. If you're feeling super fancy try MAC plushglass in Oversexed overtop for a OHHH LA LA lip!