November 23, 2014 | 2068 users online

Cleansers - C.O. Bigelow - Gentle Oil Absorbing Clay Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2012 12:32:00 AM More reviews by NCMedic1587

I LOVE this cleanser and am upset that it's not made anymore. If anyone has any left I'd love to take it off your hands!!! It burns like crazy but I've never had anything clear my face up within 3 days or make it feel so soft before. I'm on the hunt for it now!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2011 3:37:00 PM More reviews by hellokittyfan1974

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not a fan of this one! I got this at a past B&BW semi-annual sale a few years ago and have finally used up the bottle. This stuff burned my skin. I ended up using this on my back and it worked pretty well for that. On my face it left my skin sensitve and red.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2010 3:10:00 AM More reviews by bitterrose1025

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I brought this cleanser because it was on sale at a Bath and Body Works outlet and I love clay based face products. I know that a lot of people are bothered by the smell. It doesn't bother me in the least. I find the smell pleasant. I don't detect the sulfur in it. It leaves my skin feeling really soft and clean. The only thing I don't like is when I'm rinsing it off and it gets around my eyes it does sting quite a bit.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2009 6:50:00 PM More reviews by Schadenfrau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

C.O. Bigelow went wrong with this one. This cleanser doesn't have a negative impact on my skin, but it provides a pretty unpleasant cleansing experience. The Gentle Oil-Absorbing Clay Cleanser manages to be watery and chalky all at once- be quick to apply the stuff to your skin, as it actually starts to dry on your hands if you don't. Once you get the stuff near your face, you're hit with a blast of rosemary oil and sulfur. Leave it on for any longer than a minute and your face will feel like it's catching fire. I'll use up the bottle on days my skin is particularly oily, but I certainly won't purchase this product again.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/16/2009 2:27:00 PM More reviews by voxtrotlous

I bought this at a bath and body works outlet, so it was around 5 dollars, which is really quite an amazing price. that's probably the only good thing about this product. First of all, it smells god awful. i can't really even describe the smell, it's probably the sulfur in the cleanser, but still...eeeew! this did little for my skin, honestly. i didn't notice anything amazing clearing up, which wasn't what i expected, but it didn't do anything...at all. the packaging sucks butt as well, it's not a squirt thing, it's like a flip up cap and then a small hole, so you have to turn the rather big bottle upside down to get the liquidy product out, which tends to pretty much drip out of your palm and into the sink anyway. so it sucks. most importantly, it smells. don't buy it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2009 12:20:00 AM More reviews by tsaraya29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

HORRIBLE!! HORRIBLE!! HORRIBLE PRODUCT! I'm shocked that anyone would purchase this again! I don't know what they were thinking when they marketed this CRAP as a gentle cleaner. Because I have sensitive skin, the only cleansers I can use are those that specifically state gentle or mild. THEY BLATANTLY LIED stating that this is gentle!!
I saw this on sale at B&BW and figured I'd give it a try, if it didn't work, at least it wouldn't irritate my skin. I WAS WRONG. I wet my face, put a dime sized amount on my hands and worked it in. Rinsed. And for a second I felt nothing. 5 seconds later - I felt as if I had put a BLOWTORCH on my face. I almost screamed I was in so much pain from the burning. I rinsed and rinsed, to no avail. My skin just kept burning and felt like it was on fire. I dried my face and rinsed for a 3rd and 4th time. I was literally splashing water on my face while I held my head under the faucet. After rinsing my skin with cold water for at least 10 minutes I finally felt some relief, but could still feel some odd warmness to my face. My NW45/NC50 skin was BRIGHT RED! I have never had such a horrible, painful experience as I had with this product. And of course a day or 2 later, my skin was peeling and over dried in some areas, like it had been stripped with some chemical.

Long story short - If I would have suffered permanent damage to my skin from using this product only ONCE, I would have sued their @sses for false advertising and selling a dangerous product without warning. Let me say this: IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE, EVEN NORMAL SKIN, STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT. I immediately tossed this crap in the garbarge because I would never put something this dangerous up for swap. AWFUL AWFUL product!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2009 9:25:00 PM More reviews by MakeupByMelissaLyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have mixed feelings about this cleanser. I do feel that it was an error on C.O. Bigelow's part to call this a "gentle" cleanser. As others have commented, this cleanser DOES sting and dare I say "burn". Its a very active cleanser. I have deduced, based on my experience with other products, that the ingredient in here that is causing this to occur is primarily the rosemary and perhaps even the bentonite. I have a Jonathan clay mask that I love that also has Rosemary in it and it produces a similar sensation.

This definately is not to be used in the eye area or even near the eye area. And I probably would not recommend this cleanser for someone with very sensitive skin.

The cleanser does separate and you need to shake it well before using it or you will get a bunch of watery cleanser when you take it out into your hand. At first the, ahem, slightly burning sensation was off-putting to me and I immediately was planning to return it. However, after using this over a half dozen times, I can leave this on my face for several minutes before rinsing and I am fine. The sensation seems to last a couple minutes after rinsing, but it dissipates. I am very fair and I did not have any red or irritated skin after using it.

I would not suggest you use this cleanser unless you are truly an oily person. I happen to be, on a scale from one to ten, about an 8 on the oiliness scale. I would not use this in the winter months, and even in the summer, I would reserve this for days when its been particularly sticky and humid outside and I feel like I need to "detox" my face.

I have stated "no" that I would not buy this again. I'm actually not sure if I would or not. I have gotten used to the tingly sensation and its not nearly as severe feeling as when I first used it. My suggestion is that if you ARE very oily, don't give up on it the first couple of uses. In theory, this cleanser DOES have some great properties to it that would benefit an oily skin type. If you are not that oily, extremely sensitive, dry or even combination, I would say this is NOT the cleanser for you.

I would liken this cleanser most to the old Philosophy sulfur cleanser. If you liked that one, try this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2009 7:47:00 PM More reviews by iloveeperfume

NOT GOOD FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN
this has to be my favorite cleanser it works wonders & my pimples are clearing before my eyes. my face has never been this clear, i use this 2 times a day along with the co bigelow purifying cleansing mask which i leave it on overnight and wash it off in the morning.
when i first put this cleanser on my skin it burns a little bit for 5 seconds. after i start rubbing it in my skin in circular motions with my fingertips( leaving it on for 60 seconds as directed) i use a warm washcloth to wash it off & it burns like crazy so i think when you put heat on the mask thats what causes it to burn. im gonna try rinsing it with cold water without a washcloth. other than that this cleanser is great....ohh it would be better if the cleanser was less watery it would be perfect if it was thicker.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2009 8:44:00 PM More reviews by snowtenshi

I like this stuff but it is Bigelow all over... well made but the front side of the label lies like a rug. Read the ingredients or else.

It has sulphur so if it burns, stings, or smells like sulphur, don't be surprised. If you have normal to dry skin, don't even think about it. This is not an uber gentle mud mask. This is what you try when your skin hates the entire acne aisle and don't know whether to hope it helps or not. It does its job but I wish there was something better I could use.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2009 1:40:00 AM More reviews by elaineraino

I got this for $3.75 at BBW (on sale) and although this saps oil off your face, IT BURNS!! I think it's the rosemary oil...it has a sort of numbing effect, but other than that, this cleans your skin really well, if you don't mind the smell. It hasn't caused me to break out; if anything, it's cleared up my skin. But I wouldn't recommend overusing this, it's pretty harsh, and probably has the potential of drying out your skin if used more than twice a day.