October 25, 2014 | 1748 users online

Lip Treatments - C.O. Bigelow - Rose Salve

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2014 10:17:00 PM More reviews by ShaniiR

Amaaaazing lipbalm! It smells nice and it really helps with chapped lips! I would definitely recommend to anyone with dry lips.
The only downfall is the packaging, i feel it's slightly unsanitary and i get it in my nails sometimes if it's too long.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2014 11:43:00 PM More reviews by max44

Really great for lips and dried skin. I wish they had this in lip balm form as I mainly use this on my lips. My lips feel so soft and the smell of it is bearable. The consistency is great.....thinner than vaseline. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by NotoriousKaboom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this stuff, but I hate accidentally getting it my mouth. It looks great, smells great, and moisturizes great, but tastes revolting. Still, that's a minor setback compared to how useful this product is.

Since I was very small I've always had problems with chapped lips, and in the winter, chapped skin above my top lip/below my nose. When I was younger, the skin above my lip would get incredibly painful when it got dried out, to the point that it would split and bleed. My problem is not so severe now that I am an adult... at least, most of the time. This past winter, it was bitterly cold where I live, and my childhood problem of painful, dessicated skin above my lip was back with a vengeance, and my usual treatment of Carmex wasn't helping at all. Friends and relatives had recommended Aquaphor, but that just made me break out (and having deep pimples on already very dry skin is not fun). In desperation, I mooched a tin of this from my mother, and applied it at night before I went to bed.

Honestly, it probably saved my sanity. The next day when I woke up, that bit of skin was more moisturized than it had been in months. I didn't have an acne break-out, and it smelled very nice.

So now I use this on my lips every night, and will extend it to the area above my lips if it is necessary. My lips are so soft and moisturized, and if it turns out to be another terrible winter, I'm ready.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by JoieDeLaMusique

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my go-to lip care product. I even use it on my cuticles when the weather starts to get dry. Not wearing eyeshadow but need something to complete your natural makeup look? Just swipe a thin layer on your lids and it makes your face glow!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2014 8:42:00 PM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't see why people complain about how hard it is to open the product. It opens up easily for me. Let me tell you how instantly this product works! I had a dry spell with my lips recently. They were chapped, dry and felt like sand paper. The minute I applied this at night, my lips were hydrated the next MORNING! I instantly replaced my HG lip balm (Nivea's Honey Milk Lip Balm) with this!! The smell is quite powdery and it doesn't have a rose scent at all. I honestly don't mind because it does its job. This is worth the $6 and I will stock up on this amazing product!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by CynicalCind

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this! I use this every night to moisturize my lips and it lasts for at least a year. It is also great for any dry spots that you have on your body and does not break you out at all! I love that it's tinted and has a slight rose scent to it (smells much better than smith rosebud salve). My only complaints about this product is that it gets a little difficult to open sometimes (even though the tin is cute) and wish that they would make this in an even larger size.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by nekkun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This stuff is so lovely and makes me feel like a total lady, even when I'm dipping my fingers in the tin, ha! Has a subtle, sweet rose scent, which is nice but doesn't last. Moisturizes lips and gives them a nice sheen. Sure it's similar to vaseline (with lanolin added), but it's less occlusive and something you can apply often without looking like a grease ball. I actually use this every day and enjoy doing so. My lips thank me for it!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2014 3:56:00 AM More reviews by revathig21

Getting some of the cult products in UAE can be quite tiresome, but I finally found this at Bath & Body Works yesterday. Though the price was exorbitant ( AED 35/tin), I couldn't contain my excitement of finally getting my hands on this. The product itself is excellent (though I have used this only once, I think I can lay this claim😊). I have used it on my lips, and they felt super soft in the morning. Very similar to Vaseline Rosy lips, which I absolutely adore too. Overall, a solid 9.5/10 from my side for this. 0.5 has been deducted due to the pricing here in UAE.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Andisophiaquinn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Got this at Bath & Body Works for five bucks, and when I asked the gal at the store if she used it, she said yeah and it's amazing. She told me people come in there and buy like 5 or 10 pans of it at a time. I had some extra cash, so I decided to try it. I have very dry skin on my cheeks, and it said you can use it on skin, so I rubbed it in to my skin and dabbed the top layer of extra off with a kleenex before I went to bed, and the next morning...my skin wasn't flakey and dry like it always is. I also use it on my cuticles and nail beds, lips, and cracked heels on my feet. Works for EVERYTHING. And it smells like roses :) My dad used it once, and tried to steal it from me so he could use it at work. He's a firefighter and they get really dry hands in the winter while on calls, so he got his own tube to take to work.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 3:10:00 PM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Lip treatment junkie here... I recently "discovered" C.O. Bigelow's lip products (I get mine at Bath & Body Works) and have been enjoying testing out some of their more popular items. Just did a 3-4 week test run of their Rose Salve & thinks it's time that I reviewed.

I thought I'd start off my review by discussing the packaging of this product. C.O. Bigelow is the oldest apothecary/pharmacy in the US, founded in 1838 (thanks, Wikipedia!). They incorporate old-world charm into many of their products/packaging & C.O. Bigelow's Rose Salve is a prime example of this. It comes in a comparatively large (2 inches across & a little more than 3/4 inches deep) tin. Easy to open & close but a bit bulky especially if you plan to keep your lip treatment in your pocket. Very cute though and works well for me as I leave this product at home, on my vanity.

The salve itself is basically your traditional looking, solid type of ointment or salve. It's pinkish-rose and as per the packaging, it does contain .9% Rose Extract. On me, it does turn my lips a slight, pinkish color but I swatched it onto a piece of white paper and the color is nearly undetectable so may be it's my imagination! It has a distinctive smell which I assume is from the Rose Extract but the smell is in no way overwhelming. The smell is stronger in the tin than it is on your lips, right under your nose. I don't love or hate the smell but I could see it being an issue for some as it's an "older", flowery scent. Product applies like Vaseline, and is similar in consistency and finish but I think it's less dense and less sticky than Vaseline is. I also find that it does more for my lips than plain, old Vaseline. Seems to accomplish "something" as opposed to just sitting on my lips.

All in all, C.O. Bigelow's Rose Salve is a very nice lip treatment. It does good job of protecting my lips and keeping them moist. It is a tad greasy but that can be helpful, especially during drier, colder months of the year. I could see this type of product, especially in a metal tin like this, becoming a melted, greasy mess in warmer months, but I can't say for sure as my "test run" occurred during Winter. I would recommend it to those that enjoy similar types of lip treatments (on the greasy side, in a tin, etc.). I probably will not repurchase but only because I have fallen in love w/ another C.O. Bigelow product (Lemon Lip Cream) and would prefer to make that my one & only lip treatment.

Pros: protects lips, floral scent, cute packaging, emollient, affordable
Cons: size of tin & floral scent may be a deal-killer for some, harder to find product-may have to resort to buying online