Dior Eau de Dolce Vita Eau de Toilette

3.5

on 1/2/2014 8:26:00 AM

Both Christian Dior Dolce Vita EDT and Christian Dior Addict EDP (original blue bottle) were at the top of my "must have" list. I decided to sample both of these beauties at the Spritz fragrance shop at my local mall.

That was the first time I visited a Spritz store. I was greeted by a young man in a vest who looked like he was about 15. There was no hope of having an intelligent conversation with him about my current Dior obsession. The store layout felt very warehouse-ish. I thought they must give me a good discount for suffering these back-room shopping conditions! Alas, that was not the case.

The store's selling point is that you buy one fragrance at retail price and get a second for 20% off. Although, there are exceptions. Surprise! Dior is one of several exceptions. Spritz also gives away "free" undesirable fragrances. So I don't really see what price value they offer to a buyer who is serious about perfume.

In all fairness, I was impressed by the selection of fragrances. Spritz had Dior's Dolce Vita 1.7 oz. EDT (somewhat hard to find at a mall).

I sprayed my left wrist with Dior Addict EDP for women and my right with Dior Dolce Vita EDT for women. And, oh my! I must comment on the Dolce Vita creative retro space age glass bottle. It's a sparkling orb with moon crater indentations that make it easier to hold than a smooth bottle. I think Jimmy Choo must have been inspired by it. The fragrance shines like pure Mediterranean sunshine from this alluring container.

After the dry down, I experienced the enduring, undeniable beauty of Addict. I felt like the Vanilla Queen all afternoon and all evening. The Dolce Vita on my other wrist had settled into a soft slightly spicy scent that tapered off slowly. I decided to invest in the Dolce Vita first because it's more distinctive and, I believe, underrated.

Dolce Vita (Italian) is aptly named. It means "Sweet Life" or a life filled with pleasure. Here's the pyramid:

Top Notes
Rose, Magnolia, Muguet

Middle Notes
Apricot, Peach, Cinnamon

Base Notes
Sandalwood, Vanilla, Heliotrope

I was surprised that I was so captivated by an EDT with a rose top note. I was also delighted by the way the cinnamon added warmth and boldness to an otherwise sheer and delicate ultra feminine fragrance.

on 5/16/2012 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

When I first tried it, just when it came out, I (being a huge fan of the original Dolce Vita) was very disappointed. Not surprising: it smelled nothing like the original. I forgot about it for years. Just recently, I smelled it again, and you know what? Now I understand, where J'adore came from. This is NOT Dolce Vita - this is PREJ'adore. All the tendances that have been declared in Eau de Dolce Vita where realised a year later in the Dior's new star fragrance - J'adore. But to my nose, Eau de DV is more pleasant, than the later one - lighter, more delicate, more airy. Just don't think of it as of Dolce Vita - otherwise it can get confusing. The name itself is misleading.

on 12/9/2010 12:43:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is very different from the original Dolce Vita. It is too light, and doesn't even smell at all like Dolce Vita, which is one of my favorite Dior scents. This scent contains pear blossom, mandarin, bergamot and grapefruit at the top notes, along with Sambac jasmine, peony, freesia and white pepper at heart, settling at the base of milky sandalwood, velvet vanilla and osmanthus. No wonder it is discontinued, it is just really nothing special.

on 12/4/2008 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I don't know how to describe this fragrance but I find it very complicated for me. It mixes extremely well with my body chemistry and just radiates this beautiful, elegant, sophisticated, and rich fragrance. I get compliments from many when i wear this. My ex had bought this for me years ago and I stopped wearing it until now. I had forgotten how beautiful and well it compliments me. I wish they still made this. It's a bummer that Dior has discontinued this fragrance. I wanted to buy it again as i'm running low. The bottle is gorgeous too. This review is for the Eau de Dolce Vita (Eau de Toilette) (comes in a tall bottle) and not it's sister fragrance Dolce Vita (comes in a round bottle)

Complex, light, romantic, beautiful. Easy on the nose floral that's not at all cloying. Love this stuff. Couldn't find for awhile but located again. Tempted to buy another bottle before it disappears.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This is still available in Europe and is a distinctly different scent from the Dolce Vita perfume. The short version is that Eau de Dolce Vita is a nice crisp spring/summer scent, whereas the Dolce Vita smells like grandma. (if you like to smell like grandma Dolce Vita is more of a fall/winter scent tho not strong enough for me). I love the purse size I can get of Eau de Dolce Vita. The dog days of summer I wear Cristalle faithfully but I do get tempted by Eau de Dolce Vita on those spring days where the sun is hot but the shade is cool. Much sharper than its sister.

on 9/2/2005 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a beautiful fragrance - just gorgeous. This is NOTHING like the other dolce vita - nothing. It is fruity & crisp - very suitable for spring & summer. Unfortunately it was discontinued several years ago (but you can sometimes find it on ebay). I smell pear, a little grapefruit, and a slight hint of vanilla. One of my all time favorites & I ALWAYS get passionate compliments when I wear it from both guys & girls.

not bad!! citrusy but like young old womans, but now that I think of it, it does smell like a bathroom. but a clean one.

on 4/7/2005 12:52:00 PM

Tried Dolce Vita for the first time recently when I received a miniature bottle in a gift set. Not a fan of it at all and its scent is reminiscent of cheap bathroom air freshener. Yuck! Comes in a funky bottle but sadly it's one of my least favourite Dior fragrances.

Got a sample of this in a swap. It's nearly identical to Chanel Coco Mademoiselle on my skin. Pretty, but as I got tired of Coco Mlle and swapped it away, I don't have much need for this one either.

Popular Fragrances