October 23, 2014 | 932 users online

Hair - Alberto Vo5 - Alberto V05 Conditioning Hairdressing

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2014 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Tiltyred

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a stinky little miracle in a metal tube. I have extremely thick (as in, it takes two people to blow it out, one on each side of me) curly, mixed texture hair. I put about a dime sized bit of this through my hair and then wet set it and let it dry naturally overnight. I woke up to shining, soft, completely frizz-free beautiful hair.

Ok, it doesn't smell great when you first put it on, but the scent does fade, and IMO it's worth suffering through it for the amazing effect you get when you use it.

This replaces several bottles of hair serums costing many times as much. I'm a total convert.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2014 6:24:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

This is nothing but hair grease. It may not be sold in the ethnic side of the hair isle, but it is just the same. It never did anything positive for my hair. And, it is definitely a product that I never plan on putting in my hair ever again.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2013 3:53:00 PM More reviews by frostygrrl

I bought this on a whim because I need something for my thick, damaged hair. I blow dry almost every day and I'm growing my hair long so needless to say it's been taking a beating lately. Split ends galore and just dry feeling with some frizziness and flyaways. I used a tiny amount on towel dried hair- concentrated on the ends and ran the rest through my hair. Blow dried, then used a tiny bit more on the ends and again patted a little bit on the rest of my hair. My ends especially look shiny and sleek.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2013 11:59:00 PM More reviews by rcblinn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've tried the all natural, no silicones, sulfates, petrolatum route for quite some time now. What did it land me with? Frizzy, tangly, angry hair. At waist length, my tangles can be epic and right at the nape area, turn into dreadlocks. To give you an idea, my grandmother was devoted to brushing out my tangles when I was a child and it became infamously known as " the rat's nest" in the family. Although silicones have worked miracles on my tangle prone hair, they do tend to weigh my waves down quite a bit. Oils like coconut oil and olive oil have their place in my routine but just don't cut it. I've seen this many times in CVS and always wondered- finally, it occurred to me- if it's been around for that long, chances are it must work and chances are it probably won't be going away any time soon either. So on a whim I tried it (I am cheap and like Vo5 already since they don't test on animals). My hair has been transformed from dreadlocks into presentable, soft, defined waves. And to be honest I actually kind of enjoy the medicinal smell-makes me feel like I am "healing" my hair more. Anyways, I'm so happy I took a chance and got it!

EDIT: Eventually built up on my hair and caused the ends to feel crispy. I tossed it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This "conditioning hairdressing" is basically a small tube of lightweight classic african-american hair grease. It is weightier than a cream leave-in, but not as formative as gel; it works as a sealant, helping to protect ends of hair against split ends, provides light hold/texture, and helps reduce crunch on wash and go curly hair. fFor flat ironed styles, it tames fly aways without causing moisture poof. As with any oil based product, less is more, and it won't hydrate, it will only change the finish and lock your hair in whatever state its in.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by Karin1539

Wow, how have I not ever seen this stuff until recently??? I was wandering in Walmart and found it and figured I'd give it a go since it is cheap. When I got home I stuck it on my hair (dry hair) and used way too much which resulted in a very greasy look. So lesson learned a VERY little bit goes a long way. The next time I used it after my shower on towel dried hair as a leave-in. I used only a very small amount on my lower half/ends. It was AMAZING, my hair was silky, looked so healthy with a gloss and sheen it hasn't had in a while. It really did keep my hair from frizzing out later on - I had amazing hair for the next two days just from that little drop. For reference, I have thin/highlighted/long hair that can be prone to frizzinness and dull ends. I will continue experimenting with ways to use this - the package says it can be a prewash treatment, and leave in for wet or dry hair.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by Catronw

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So far I've only used this product once, but it definitly does the job! This was on the way bottom shelf at Walmart hidden among the hair oil and henna treatments and I saw the packaging and thought I remembered my mom using this on her very dry hair, so I decided to give it a go! I bought the gold one, for normal hair, and applied the smallest amount to my ends up to the end of my neck and then combed it through the entirety of my hair. My hair isn't /really/ dry but it does get frizzy and I'm trying to grow it out so protection from split ends is a must! I usually use a conditioning/frizz fighting mousse on my hair (had been using Doves) and I would say this at least does the same amount of good (for a better price) and probably even better once I get used to it and figure out exactly how much my hair needs. It does smell differently than most leave ins do nowadays, it smells a little old ladyish, like old fashioned perfume and hand cream, but its not a /bad/ smell, though at least it my hair it lingers. I'm excited to keep using this!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this product, it's basically just oil and Vaseline mixed. It's perfect for my hair, I just use any shampoo to wash then apply this to towel dried hair. Don't need a bottle conditioner. So nice and lasts forever and is inexpensive. Will keep buying. I quite like the scent and it does fade once applied.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used to use this product on my coarse, wavy hair years ago, before products like Frizz Ease and Bio Silk were even dreamed of. But time passed and so many great silkening, smoothing products have come on the market and my beat up old tube of VO5 was long forgotten. Usually, I flat iron my hair twice a week (after I shampoo) - that's usually all it needs. Even after a workout at the gym, most of the time, my hair is still pretty presentable til its next washing, sometimes with a minor touch up with the flat iron. But for the last 2 months, I've been practising hot yoga and that has really played havoc with the look of my hair - I leave the studio looking like I've been dragged through a hedge backward and then had 1,000 volts of electricity shot through my hair. Honestly, it looks like a fright wig, because it has frizzed and waved up so much. Because of this, I've been using my flat iron more and it has been taking a toll on my hair. It also doesn't help that I haven't had a hair cut since May (yikes!). I wanted something I could apply to the dry ends of my hair to put back a bit of the oil and moisture the lack of trims and all the flat ironing has taken out and I suddenly remembered VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing. I know my old tube is kicking around this house in a box somewhere but I went to the drugstore to get a new box - for a whole 4 bucks, I think. It is exactly what my hair needs....a bit of oil, a bit of "grease" and as my hair is thick and coarse, even if this stuff weighs it down a bit, that's not necessarily a bad thing for me. The tube will probably last 20 years, even with fairly regular use as I use less than a pea sized amount and it does the trick. Sometimes, these old products are just perfect.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2012 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Sanzibar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use the purple formula in the silver tube for blonde/gray hair. Years of dying, processing and using various heat appliances on my hair has left it extremely damaged. I have tried various conditioners and treatments over the years. Even though some initially seem to work, my hair always seems to revert back to the same state.

I simply could not stand how dry and damaged my hair looked anymore. It's below my shoulders but I was seriously considering chopping it all off. I didn't expect much from Vo5 but I decided to try it anyway. This is definitely a HG product for me.

The key to use on dry hair is to use just the tiniest amount, applying only to ends and out of control areas. My hair instantly smoothed out and was shinier. I have had even better luck using it as an overnight conditioner. I still don't use much but I really coat my hair with the Vo5. My hair just absorbs it. After washing it out, I use another tiny bit as a leave in conditioner. I can't believe how much better my hair is looking. Smooth, shiny & dare I say ... healthy!

For blondes, this formula is especially effective. My hair tends to go a yellow/brassy hue after coloring. Leaving the Vo5 in overnight really helps to neutralize those tones and lets the blonde shine thru.