August 28, 2014 | 1105 users online

Fragrances - Givenchy - Hot Couture

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2014 10:58:00 AM More reviews by thepulptoyourfiction

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A very sweet, warm sugar and vanilla scent.
What you'd smell if you walked in Candyland.

Only deserves 3 lippies because I don't think mature consumers would like this.
It would be a perfect present to a pre-teen just starting their perfume collection, though.

I do love the flat, skinny shape of the bottle because it's very light and portable.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 9:44:00 AM More reviews by jencompras87

EDT:
Fruty, warm, sweet raspberries, sexy, absolutely beautiful scent.
Always have to have a bottle of this gorgeous fragance in my collection.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

How to describe Hot Couture No. 1? There are four flankers in Givenchysí Hot Couture collection, all with similar boxes and with similar notes. Discerning noses can pull out the differences when wearing them. Should you want a particular Hot Couture and are shopping in a perfume store, be very specific in what you ask for from the sales associate. Some of them are not familiar with the idea that more than one Hot Couture exists and will sell you simply what is on the shelf. Look for the right packaging.
Wearing this through the fall and winter has given me a lot of opportunities to decide how to review this perfume. This fragrance has so many accolades from others, I wanted to be as fair as possible in my review to make sure that I was also breathing the Hot Couture fantasy.
I say this because when I first received my box and tested it, all I could get from it was a sticky, thick, syrupy, cooked raspberry jam surrounding me. It was delicious. But I longed for the smoke and sensual notes that others spoke about. It was early Fall in the States and perhaps the temperatures just werenít right for me to be wearing this perfume. The weather was still warmer, I was still phasing out my summery perfumes and the true briskness of the Fall had not yet set in. Not all perfumes are a good match for all seasons. It just wasnít time to pop the top of this bottle yet.
Come the bitter cold of snowy winter, still the same thing happened. I needed to find the right season for Hot Couture Collection No. 1 to work its magic for me, if indeed, it would. Apparently, sub-freezing temperatures werenít the ticket, either.
Early Spring, when temperatures hover at the 30-50 degree marks and there are remnants of snow still on the ground, I tried again. And this time, I was able to discern more notes from this sophisticated gourmand. How this can be considered an oriental floral is beyond me.
Itís different than your run-of-the-mill teen-age foodie gourmand. Itís rich and oppulent with raspberry, but not just any raspberry. This fruitiness is heavy and intense, as if youíre standing over the pot of jam as itís cooking on the stove. Itís sweet, but you havenít added sugar to the pot yet, so thereís an oppositional feel here. Blame the bergamot for a breath of Earl Grey tea or the orange for a citrus zing in the beginning, but this perfumeís run will still be under-sweetened by other notes as it progresses.
Thereís a woody note that weaves in and out to save the scent of the raspberries from being too linear, overpowering and childish. Itís not strong at all, but itís there as a backdrop. A hint of smoke wisps tantalize this perfume and the addition of any type of smoke always ups the ante in a fragrance. Leather introduces itself in the drydown as a wrap-around for the ever-present cooked jam.
Givenchy Hot Couture No. 1 is a gourmand thatís not commonly encountered because it strives for oppulence, seduction and sensuality in a scent that is so much a gourmand yet somehow it does work in other ways. It works because of its maturity. Its not simply a tropical fruit, its a cooked fruit, tempered with visions of smoke and leather.
Itís warm and inviting. Yet, it still needs the right attitude to pull it off. Itís not a young, giggly perfume. Itís one where the wearer meets you eye-to-eye, with a formidable strength. Their actions always give you the impression of whatís to come. And thatís what Hot couture No. 1 is about. It sets the groundwork and continues on its Journey. You wonít be disappointed.
The longevity is quite good, lasting for a good six hours or so. Sillage is strong and really, a gentle spritz is all thatís needed. This is a perfume that warms with your body and surrounds you.
For extreme decadence one day, I decided to layer Hot Couture with two other perfumes to create a Neopolitan ice cream effect. I choose Avonís Extraordinary for the intense chocolate note, and Taylor Swiftís Wonderstruck for the vanilla. The result was pure heaven in olfactory delight. You can mix and match your perfumes to layer them to create scents that you might enjoy. Be creative and have fun!
This is a perfume that would work well in the evening, going out, for leisure or for the week-ends.
Top Notes: Orange, Raspberry, Bergamot.
Middle Notes: Magnolia, Vetiver, Pepper.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Musk.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2014 2:54:00 AM More reviews by dustdrops

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is my signature scent. I love both the EDP and EDT but the latter is my favorite. They smell slightly different, in which the EDT is like day and the EDP is like night. To me, the EDT reminds me of an elegant, proper young lady who seems very sweet but lets down her hair at the end of the day; she's secretly a wildcat in bed. The EDP has a stronger smokey note, therefore I think of a sultry femme fatale with her dark red lipstick and sky-high stilettos, or a Bond girl. I always feels glamorous and alluring whenever I wear it. I feel like it boosts your confidence and sex appeal.

I'm a person whose body chemistry enhances rather than changes most fragrances I wear. For me, most of the smokiness disappears quickly when I wear this, but not completely, and that's what I love about it. The smokiness serves to anchor what would otherwise be an overly sweet raspberry candy. A more straightforward way to describe this would be a raspberry-flavored pipe.

This is a very expensive perfume but it makes people (especially men) want to hug you so I will definitely purchase it when I run out!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Dmysunshine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my HG, I've been wearing it for years and men LOVE it, I've been told I smell amazing when I wear this. It stays on a long time and lasts a long time. I would cry if it was discontinued.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2014 8:06:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Hot Couture is a sweet super girly fragrance that smells like raspberry sorbet. It's not terribly sophisticated but who wants to be sophisticated all the time? Hot Couture is fun and cheerful. Something about it reminds me of the 1980's. It seems like something Molly Ringwald would have worn. Sweet and a little quirky, a spritz of Hot Couture makes me feel like I'm the female lead in a John Hughes film. Just a wonderful happy fragrance.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Laceymacpherson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This one is nice on others not me:( I even tried the EDP stay away. Lol,that one is gross and cloying .

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by sillage

Sugared raspberry and vetiver. It's okay, but you have to really like the (for me, dreaded) raspberry note -- because raspberry is front and center in this perfume -- red raspberry rolled in sugar and growled up a bit with a vetiver basenote. I own the EDT but wear it very rarely.

Red raspberry is my "make it stop" note -- it seems to be everywhere these days. It's the main topnote in many of today's pink fruity-florals, geared for teens-20's, and which seem to have taken over the perfume market. Hot Couture is like many other perfumes out there -- most of them colored pink -- and to me, they're practically interchangeable.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

This does smell really good, not quite a HG though. That would still be my beloved Victoria's Secret Noir Tease (or its more pricy sister, Viva La Juicy). I tried the EDT, not sure if an EDP is available. Bottle is really cute. This is a nice balance between young/girly and fancy old lady perfumes. I think this would make an excellent gift because it's appropriate for all ages and not too strong.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

I used to wear this back in 03' and man does it bring back some memories. I only stopped wearing this and Poeme and gucci rush at the time as all my friends decided they loved these on me (especially this one) and starting wearing them and I wanted to smell different so went on a journey of spicy orientals which I love now. This in essence is actually too sweet for my taste but the heavy smokiness, vetiver and peppery notes save it and it smells divine on me. I am in love all over again. I have just managed to find a 5ml minature of this I remember this being a man magnet so will try it on the other half and see how he reacts to it. Might have to splash out on the big bottle again for old times sake...