October 25, 2014 | 1472 users online

Mascara - Shu Uemura - Length and Waterproof Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 12:49:00 PM More reviews by Corak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have tried many mascaras that lots of women swear by, Benefit Bad Gal and Diorshow being a couple of the more popular ones. What you need to know about mascaras is that wand/bristles size really matters. The shorter the lashes, the smaller the bristles you need. Bad Gal and Diorshow are great, but they are more great for those with longer lashes due to their large bristles. L&W by Shu Uemura is designed for Japanese girls who typically have shorter lashes than their Caucasian counterparts. This grips short lashes, holds a curl like no other, and the waterproof formula will not budge. This is perfect on all counts, but I am sparing with this, as this is EXPENSIVE, as expensive as my high end foundations.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2011 3:02:00 AM More reviews by dodobat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently ran out of my current mascara and was on a hunt for a replacement. I have always loved Shu Uemura products so I decided to try out their mascaras. Initially I went there with the intention of purchasing the Precise Volume mascara. However, the lovely SA there suggested me to go for this mascara instead. I was informed that this mascara is their best selling mascara and that it was very popular among the customers here. So I parted with RM90 (around 31USD) and quickly went home to try it.

So heres my thoughts on this mascara. Firstly I have to say that I absolutely love the packaging. It comes in a sleek no frills black tube housed in a shiny blue box (big thumbs up there!). I'm not a fan of fancy packaging and bright colored tubes (think UD big fatty mascara and Covergirl lash blast).

What I did notice is that the formula of the mascara is quite dry, unlike some mascaras which can be quick wet (think Lancome Hypnose). Depending on how you see it a dry mascara can be a good thing. Because I have thin Asian lashes, this slightly dry formula works well for me and eases application. This mascara also lives up to its claim for being waterproof. Because it is a waterproof formula, this mascara tends to leave lashes feeling quite dry and 'crunchy' which is something I have not gotten used to. Previously I have always been using non waterproof formulas. Having said that, this mascara did hold up a curl very well and did so for more than 12 hours. I usually apply my makeup in the morning around 8am and remove it at about 8-9pm.

If you are looking for a volumising mascara skip this.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2011 12:23:00 PM More reviews by MB418

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this mascara by mistake. I meant to purchase the precise volume waterproof, which I love. The length & waterproof mascara does nothing for me. It is clumpy and doesn't hold a curl.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2011 2:16:00 AM More reviews by aerodynamic

The tiny brush makes it easy to use to create length, and works well on the lower lashes. This mascara leaves me with long, full, natural lashes, perfect for day wear! It also stays true to its waterproof claim.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 6:08:00 AM More reviews by na8i

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Excellent WP mascara from Shu! However, not an everyday mascara. It does keep a curl, but it doesn't accentuate it as well as it's cousin Precise Volume WP. It lenghtens lashes, but in a very natural way. Like you were born with slightly unruly, non-curly, long lashes. For everyday I want my lashes to look the best they can be, I love me some Kanebo/Sensai 38* Mascara for that (see individual reviews). However, this is truly WP (does not budge, while Kanebo can wear off when sun and sea is combined), and I'd love to have a tube in case I plan spending the day on the beach.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2009 8:32:00 PM More reviews by lastoneout

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG FOREVER!!! Perfect formula to keep thin, straight, stubborn Asian lashes curled all day long! Tiny little brush is super amazing, catches the littlest lashes and makes them look longer! Waterproof and resists smudging, even on the oiliest lids, on the most humid days. Absolute love.

Unfortunately, this product was discontinued... WHY!??!?!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2008 5:38:00 PM More reviews by chipm0nk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

say good bye to smudges. Perfect for asian straight/ thin lashes. I LOVE it! thank goodness my friend works for Shu, but either way I would buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2007 1:42:00 PM More reviews by paranoidjane

I have stick straight lashes and trust me, its harder to get these lashes to stay curled during the day than it is to find a needle in a haystack. Well to my surprise, here is a mascara lightweight enough to hold my curl well. It lengthens, separates and is absolutely smudgeproof! I'd be more in love however, without the hefty price tag.

This product is good for those pesky Asian lashes :P If you have naturally full and long lashes i would say this won't do much for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2007 11:22:00 PM More reviews by skincarejunkee

I have bought this mascara four times. I love the formula! It is awesome for my straight lashes, because the formula doesn't weigh the lashes down once they are curled. It acts as a holding gel. It also lengths my lashes beautifully and never clumps. I love this mascara!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2007 6:38:00 AM More reviews by elfelettem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This doesn't really do anything noticeable for my lashes. I gave it to a friend of mine.

On her its a good mascara. She's got straight lashes. this mascara (on her) defines nicely and holds a curl well. If you need mascara to hold a curl on straight lashes this could be one to try.