November 23, 2014 | 1659 users online

Liquid - Urban Decay - liquid Surreal Skin [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2012 2:12:00 AM More reviews by VerySplendid

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

EDITED TO ADD: Since Urban Decay announced they won't be selling their products in China, they've now been bought out by L'Oreal who do conduct animal testing. I have lowered my rating to reflect this.

Skin type: normal to dry but acne prone.

Desperately seeking a new HG foundation since I found out MAC test on animals after being bought out by Estee Lauder. MAC is now sold in China, and Chinese law requires that ALL cosmetics owned by foreign (non-Chinese) companies be tested on animals.

My skin tone has a warm-neutral-light olive tone. For reference, I am MAC NC25 - see my notepad for my colour matches to other brands.

My first purchase in trying to find the elusive HG was Liquid Surreal Skin in Supernova. Only to find out a week later that Urban Decay have decided they are going to expand their business to China who stipulate animal testing as mandatory. I'm very sad that I can no longer buy Urban Decay (although probably not as sad as the bunnies). Another high end, vegan makeup range bites the dust.

PREPARATION: As my skin is quite dry, I start by applying a facial oil (my own blend) on damp skin, followed by tinted moisturiser w/SPF & primer before applying foundation.

CONSISTENCY: Quite thin & not too oily for my skin type. I wasn't bothered by the (mild) smell which other commenters have mentioned.

QUALITY: I applied a thin layer with a foundation brush but wasn't satisfied with the coverage so applied another when the first had set. The colour match was closer to my actual skin colour than MAC SFF NC30. I liked the finish, something between softly matte & mildly dewey.

AFTER: a light dusting of finishing powder. I was pretty happy with the coverage overall but this product would perform better if used with a concealer. The staying power was inferior to MAC SFF.

RE-PURCHASE? Not unless Urban Decay show some respect for their original brand ethos which is to reject animal cruelty on the grounds that it is unnecessary and also despicable especially when carried out for the purpose of our vanity.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2012 9:53:00 AM More reviews by zoohousekey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The color selection isn't great and neither is the coverage. This foundation is thin and oily.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2011 12:27:00 PM More reviews by itsEmmaTime

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't like this foundation at all! the lightest colour "illusion" is SOO yellow it's horrible! it's far to dark for me as well. It has such a horrible smell! I don't know if it's just mine but it's disgusting! I'm just thankful it was a gift and I didn't waste my money on it! The packaging is a bit annoying!

definitely do not recommend this product unless you're skin is the colour of the simpsons!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2011 11:47:00 AM More reviews by COCO792

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Urban Decay products are just not for me.
    I am very pale with pink undertones and all UD's foundations are yellow, so even illusion(the lightest shade) is too dark for me.

it's really thick and the smallest amount looks cakey and if you try to spread it, it all sticks to your fingers instead of your face. it's almost impossible to wash off your hands, and it smells.

it is however, easy enough to get out of the bottle. just turn it up side down(with the lid still closed) and shake or pat the bottom of the bottle so it all runs to the top. the lid even screws off completely so it will just pour out. there is nothing that difficult about getting the product out of the bottle.

if you tried squeezing alone you'd get nothing for a minute and then it would all shoot out. so TAP before you squeeze. if needs be, store it upside down.

this also brings out spots on my face so overall I don't like it. yes it was my own fault because the colour is totally off, but it looked fine on my hand, I should have asked an UD sales assistant to put it on my face.

so if you have pink undertones in your skin, DO NOT get ANY urban decay foundations, they are all YELLOW based.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2011 11:53:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

I'm really loving Urban Decay products, I really loved the Surreal Skin Foundation powder, soo i thought this cant be too bad.
    Well to be honest, I've been monitoring this foundation for 2 weeks now and I find its no good for me.
    In terms of coverage, this foundation has none. My skin is fair good, I dont get oily, or breakouts often, and to be far, this didn't give me any of such symptoms.
    The only thing I hated about this foundation was the coverage, durability and packaging. It has no coverage, and it didn't even last till noon on a work day.
    The packaging is really cute, but not necessary, I prefer something that is easy to dispense.
    This is the first product from Urban decay that really disappointed me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2010 2:25:00 AM More reviews by ohsolovely24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If only UD would change the packaging for this foundation, I'd probably buy this again. I'm NC37 on MAC studio fix and I tried this foundation in Hallucination (I have slightly olive undertone). The shade matches me better than MAC which has more yellow undertone. The finish is also very smooth and not as matte/heavy as MAC, which I favor. Oil control is so-so, I think it's a tie with MAC studio fix.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2010 7:23:00 AM More reviews by ameliegr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

You have to squeeze and squeeze for the foundation to come out! The bottle looks cute BUT it's so impracticable.
    I wasted money, DO NOT BUY IT!
    It's very oily and the coverage is light to medium.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2010 12:31:00 AM More reviews by SaraNikkita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

So I bought this on recommendation of a girl at Sephora after deciding my Bare Escentuals didn't look good on me. I have high demands for foundation and this just didn't cut it for me. I see it works for some and the positives are it felt light and sheer, but covered well. But for me with acne prone oily skin, it didn't look good, I had to control the shine and this didn't. It didn't seem to last all day like I want from a foundation, even with a primer. It just didn't work for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2010 6:03:00 AM More reviews by Beckaboom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Ah I hate this! Feels disgusting like rubbery feeling on your face!
    Plus its far too dark as im quite pale!
    Dont waste your money

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2009 12:01:00 AM More reviews by lipglossjunkee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Okay, the bottle is adorable!! But you've got to turn it over and shake it into your palm to get any out. Many messy splatters later, you've got a very smelly, very liquidy foundation in your palm. It was STINKY. I don't know, kind of like glue? Ew. It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. And it was liquidy, yet very dry and hard to work with...like it dried too quickly on my skin for me to be able to blend it at all. The shade i got was Illusion, and for my NC20 skin, it was a great match. But I wouldn't ever repurchase (which is fine, cuz I think they've dc'd it in just the past 2 weeks anyway!). My BFF has the universal shade Surreal Skin powder and it looks fab on her, so I may end up trying that instead.