December 19, 2014 | 1503 users online

Lips - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2014 10:16:00 PM More reviews by jsargentt

I'll be honest, I purchased this lip color after finding out it was one of Taylor Swift's favorites. Her red lip just always look impeccable, so while waiting for a friend at the mall, I swung by Sephora and picked it up. My biggest complain is the price. That being said, however, the color on me is not very red. More of a deep pink. Which, I guess I should blame my skin tone for, unless I just picked out a rotten pencil? Who knows. The color does stay on for ages, and is easy to apply, but I find the formula to be drying. Better luck next time? (Only if there's a sale or I get a gift card for Sephora!)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm not a red lip person at all in any shape or form. I love experimenting with makeup looks and colors but when it comes to a bold lip I just get so self conscious. I have no idea why but I've been that way since I can remember. All my lip product reviews can verify it! They're all for nudes, light pinks, peaches, and pastels. I've played with tons of red lipsticks at different makeup counters, trying on Chanel, Tom Ford, Guerlain, and Burberry... nothing won me over enough for me to commit to a purchase. Even the few that I sort of loved I just couldn't see myself wearing it more than a couple times a year. But I've had this in the back of my mind ever since I saw someone wearing it in a magazine several years ago and after trying it a few times I caved and bought it a few months ago and I have no regrets.

I'm super pale, NW5-10, with blonde hair, light hazel eyes, and small features, fine bones. I feel like this is one of the only reds I've ever tried that's actually flattering on me and doesn't swallow my features whole. I don't feel like I'm playing dress up with someone else's lipstick when I wear this. It suits me somehow. I only wear this with a very minimal face. Just a sheer foundation, some concealer, Mac's Painterly on my eyelids to even them out, Armani Brow Maestro, and maybe some mascara. I let this be the focus of my face.

The color is perfect for my neutral to slightly cool toned skin. It's definitely red on me, but a fresh version of it with that pink undertone. It never appears overly formal or special occasion only, though I'm sure it could easily go that way depending on the rest of my makeup. I love the matte finish because it looks very modern and fresh, especially paired with a dewy foundation.

I guess what draws me to this the most is the ease of it. Just a swipe and it looks youthful, polished without trying too hard, and chicly minimal.

I hate the packaging since it's hard to sharpen and wastes product. I wish it was in a twist up style pencil packaging like Bite's lip pencils. And sometimes it feels a little drying. But otherwise it's wonderful.

I don't wear it a ton, maybe once a week, but it's getting a lot of love and use. I'm feeling more confident with red lips now and I'd love to try some more versions and expand my field a little.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by laurenepfeifer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I'm a red lipstick addict! I've a drawer practically filled to the brim with every shade/style out there. But this one is my ABSOLUTE favorite. The color is stunning, there's really no comparison. The texture-while a bit dry-is the perfect matte. It stays on FOREVER, doesn't bleed, and is easy to apply. If I had to criticize this product at all, it would be, of course, for the price…yikes…and the pencil itself. I really wish it were easier to sharpen. I have a very high end sharpener from Aveda which normally works wonders on my other pencil products…but this Nars pencil is extremely hard to sharpen without it breaking. I've tried putting it in the fridge, I've tried keeping it warm and soft, but nothing seems to work. I've read other reviews that have recommended purchasing the Nars special sharpener…but I really would hate to buy a sharpener JUST for this when I already have one that works on every other pencil product I have. That being said, I would buy this product again. It's worth it to me. I love the compliments I get with this lippy, and highly recommend it to any lovely, lipstick wearing lady/gent out there.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Suskii

The shade Dragon Girl wasn't exactly what I expected. It looks more like cool pink on my lips, especially when I haven't layered it. It's still pretty and I'm using it. I love the soft consistency and I would pick that anytime over a glossy finish. It was surprising how thin layer it creates, so making your lips look defined is easy. I wish there were more lipsticks like this. It's necessary to get a big sharpener for this pencil.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2014 11:39:00 PM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this shade so much that I used up my Sephora gift card to get it. There was no way I could stand to pay $34 plus tax for a pencil, but I had to have it. To me it looks like an antique light red with undertones of blue roses. I am in love with it, but on me it is not going on at all creamy and rich looking and glowing, as all the pictures on a web search show it. I was afraid of this when I saw it only came in matte, but there's nothing else like it. After trying it on my hand I went to three stores, and I walked around every display of every single brand from high to low end, trying shades on my hand to find a dupe that was not matte because I have never done well with matte pencils. I did get three other more glossy lipsticks in the blue red range, but they are not the same. So, I found I can put Lancome juicy tubes clear lip gloss on top to add some glow and dimension. It works equally well to put this on top of a similar shade in a creamy formula. It doesn't seem to work just by itself. It is too dry and almost minimizes my lips. The colour is thrilling yet the matte formula is annoying and not pigmented enough. Anyway, highest marks for colour, but I have to lower the rating because I will have to sharpen it and waste some, plus the matte finish is the only way we can get this colour and that is so unfair. I don't foresee buying it again, as this surely will last a long time. I will have fun experimenting with different ways to apply it to maximize its beauty.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2014 10:29:00 PM More reviews by kinamorata

I've been trying to get out of my comfort zone of pinky nude shades (faves include: Revlon balm stain in honey, Illamasqua's Climax and Guerlain's Gemma.) After a disappointing experience with MAC's Russian Red, I steered clear of reds. Until I saw Dragon Girl. I was torn between this or Cruella. Not gonna lie, bought it partly because it reminds me of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo lol. It's described as a "siren red." With my NC30 skin and black hair, it adds instant glam to my face without much effort. I was complimented by several people when I wore this today and it prompted me to write this review! I have dry lips with Blistex lip medex being my saving grace. First I apply one layer of Dragon Girl on my lips (it's seriously pigmented!), then use a lip brush to apply a bit of Blistex to the center of my lips and finally use a bit of Nars radiant creamy concealer with a brush to clean up the edges. I don't use a lip liner, the matte formulation allows the colour to stay put. I had this on for almost 12 hours today and had two meals, drank plenty of water and did no touch-ups and the colour only faded a bit on the center of my bottom lip. I was pleasantly surprised by how non-drying it is, despite the matte formula. This is quickly becoming my HG red. My only gripe about this product is the price, it's currently $31 CAD for 0.086 oz and yes, product does get wasted because it requires sharpening. But I suppose it's better to pay for a product that gets lots of love than to have it abandoned in a makeup drawer...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2014 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Femmeboi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I decided to splurge on this Nars Lip Pencil, after my close friend raved about it and I tried it in Sephora. Not gonna lie, I was also pretty enthralled by the fact that this is Taylor Swift's signature red lip. SO GLAD I WENT FOR IT. This is absolutely gorgeous. It goes on so smooth, the color is buildable, it has beautiful cool undertones that compliment my fair skin, and it doesn't dry out my lips. Also, this is the first lip product I've tried that doesn't leave little marks all over your cups when you're trying to drink!!! Especially if you blot once with a tissue!!!! It's definitely expensive, but it's a luxury product that gives you bang for your buck and everyone should have a stunning red lip in their arsenal.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by cuyracho

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is my perfect red!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2014 9:31:00 AM More reviews by evitara22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This colour is a-ma-zing! I also think this 'pencil-idea' is very clever, because now you're able to work very precise. Still, I do think it is a bit drying, but that is sincerely the only minus point. For reference, I am a NC 25, darkbrown hair and green eyes!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2014 8:22:00 AM More reviews by Shasha07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Everytime I wear this I get several compliments with everyone always asking me what I've got on my lips! Extremely long wearing, it's rarely leaves a print on my wine glass, where my other friends are constantly topping their lipstick I never have to when I'm wearing this. Really recommend using Chapstick 15mins before applying dragon girl and using a lipliner for the precise application (I use MAC cherry). Hate thing I don't like is the pencil formula, however this will not stop me buying in the future

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No