August 20, 2014 | 1425 users online

Lipstick - Chanel - Premier Rouge/First Red

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2013 7:58:00 PM More reviews by jazz1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my absolute favorite red lipstick. I save it for special occasions since it was a Limited Edition years ago. Oh how I wish I had picked up a couple more. It is a true red. Moist. Long lasting. Very comfortable to wear. Chanel at its best.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by FMoghul

I had only bought this lipstick because it came with the Premier Or/First Gold eyeshadow in a limited edition set. I'm a Chanel makeup junky what can I say? So, the lipstick sat in my makeup drawer untouched for years. I was afraid of red. I have medium South Asian skin tone and my lips are just normal, they're not thin but they're not plump so, I thought it wouldn't look good on me. I am so glad I started wearing it. I absolutely LOVE it. It makes my lips look fuller and my teeth look whiter and I get compliments on my makeup all day. This is not for the faint of heart and not for those trying to appear as if they aren't wearing makeup. I wear it with the
"Premier Or" eyeshadow, Chanel's professional eyeliner duo and Hypsose mascara. The red is beyond perfect. It is matte but not drying and the texture is velvety and smooth. It is so pigmented and long lasting that I can put it on at 5AM and it will last through breakfast, lunch, and it will still be on at 6PM. I fear the day when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2008 6:22:00 PM More reviews by islandgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is absolutely the best red ever! It is very matte for the perfect retro look. It's the first red that Coco Chanel introduced in 1924 and was reformulated as a limited edition in 2003. It is fiery but modulated with a hint of blue to make teeth seem whiter. It is the perfect red. Someone compared it to Fire. I have both and side by side they are not alike. On the lips Fire is more similar than any of the other current Chanel Reds, but not the same. Fire is an orange red, tomato colored; also beautiful and the truest red Chanel has currently. All the others are pinkish, (including the discontinued Red No. 5. which is very similar to Coco Red). In the world of reds, there are orange reds and blue reds, and either can be true reds, but Premiere Red is the truest red of all.
It comes in a very sleek tube with the same look as the traditional Chanel tubes, but much thinner. The thin tube holds way less lipstick, but it's a good size to fit in an evening bag.
I have tried many many red lippies...high end, low end, from Besame, Clinique, Dior, YSL, MAC, all the Chanel Reds to Max Factor, Revlon and Cover Girl. This reminds me most of Besame and MAC's matte reds, but even better. Besame has the look I love, but on me, it doesn't stay on very long. MAC's stay on forever and I love them, but Premier Red is a truer red than Russian Red and Ruby Woo. I didn't think that MAC could be beat but this is it, folks. Holy Grail! I am in love with this red and would hope that Chanel brings it back again. If they do, stock up, cause it don't get no better than this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2005 1:40:00 AM More reviews by Wend1

This is an absolutely fantastic true red. I love it. I know it is a limited edition but I have found that a very good match for it is Hydrabase in "Fire". This lipstick is on the dry side (which a red has to be) and is highly pigmented. It is almost like a dye, it is so long-lasting. It glides on easily and does not feather or bleed. One caution, though, while this lipstick does stick to the lips, it also migrates quite easily. I have a tendency to touch my mouth and rub my face when I am nervous or stressed. As a result, I have ended up with red marks all over my face and fingers (and it is not easy to come off). My recommendation: apply sparingly with a lip brush and then blot, blot, blot.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2003 3:02:00 PM More reviews by brianx

I love this lipstick. It is a very matte, bright true red that would look gorgeous on everyone. The matte texture is very dry, so I'd suggest using a balm or conditioner beforehand on the lips. The lipstick is very pigmented, and a little of it goes a long way (I usually just put a few dots on the top and bottom lip and blend it out). I like the dry matte texture because it does a good job at 'staining' the lips, and therefore the color doesn't come off as quickly. This was part of the 2001 Holiday Rouge/Or collection. This is definitely the best matte red lipstick I have tried so far. My only complaint (and it's a small one!) is how little product you get. The lipstick only contains about 1.3g, and at $30 it is somewhat disappointing. (the eyeshadow it comes with also costs $30, as the entire set costs $60) The tube is very small and thin, which is nice and can fit into any purse. And because the amount of product you get with this, I only use this one on *very* special occaisons. And only with a lip brush. I don't want to waste this gorgeous lipstick!! If only they would have made it an everyday shade, rather than just a limited edition...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2003 1:27:00 PM More reviews by Anne

This is it! This is THE red lipstick. It's very, very red. And very, very beautiful! It's a true blue-based red. On my hand, it looks a little pink, but on my lips, it's just red. Now, I can't pull off a matte red lip just yet, but I love this with a goldish gloss on top. Very glam! The packaging is awesome, this is a slim lipstick and thus very easy to apply in just the right places.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2002 6:25:00 AM More reviews by CarolineSwing

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What an incredible red lipstick. What can I say... Coco got it right on the first try. It's just to bad that this isn't a regular color. This shows as TRUE RED on me (PPP w/ olive undertones), and is a MUST for red lippie lovers. In top 5 of my Best Red Lipsticks. Warning: This is a vibrant RED RED RED color, if the thought of a fire engine makes you cringe, run away. Those of you brave enough to try what may become your favorite red lippie, good luck. You can still find this on ebay, so if you haven't picked it up yet, go now!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2001 1:14:00 PM More reviews by DianeB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is part of the Premier Rouge Premier d'Or set that's been selling for $60 in department stores. It's the first lippie Coco Chanel ever made, and it's a beautiful red with a touch of yellow in it. Slightly more matte than I usually wear, it does last a long time and doesn't migrate into lines around the lips. There are a few available on eBay, a great buy if you love red!