Clinique Almost Lipstick - Black Honey

4.1

castor seed oil, cetyl ricinoleate, glyceryl triacetyl ricinoleate, candelila wax, carnauba wax, polyethylene, tocopheryl acetate [ yellow 5 lake (ci 19140), red 33 lake (ci 17200), red 28 lake (ci 45410), red 6 lake (ci 15850), blue 1 (ci 42090), iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499), red 7 lake (ci 15850), mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), red 30 lake (ci 73360), carmine (ci 75470), manganese violet (ci 77742), red 22 lake (ci 45380), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), red 21 lake (ci 45380), yellow 6 lake (ci 15850), red 27 lake (ci 45410), orange 5 (ci 45370), red 36 (ci 12085)]

on 7/24/2015 3:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Throwback shade.
Really pretty shade for just about every skin tone.
I do not think this would look bad on anyone.
Loved using my moms when I was a teen.
Do not be afraid of how dark it looks. It comes off much lighter.

on 6/20/2015 1:23:00 AM

This is a great colour and I believe it would be flattering to most - I am pale with red hair and it complements my skintone. One downsize is this does not last. It is moisturising and feels comfortable on the lips.

on 6/6/2015 2:34:00 PM

I was excited to get this product as a gift with purchase because I might just be one of the last makeup hoarders on the planet to try it.

PROS: I like the formulation. I think the Covergirl Smoochies are a bit dryer but are essentially a dupe formula wise. This product is a lovely sheer wash of colour which is just easy to wear.

CONS: I didn't like how this pulled brown on me which maybe a silly con based on it being called black "honey" ... It really isn't much of a con either because its so sheer. The colour doesn't last long on the lips either.

on 5/29/2015 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have been wearing this nearly daily since I purchased it, the soft red colour is one of the few that doesn't turn fuschia pink on my lips. It can be layered up as a berry colour for fall/winter and then applied as a light stain in the summer too. Fairly good staying power, but I can reapply without a mirror so its not too much of an issue. Only negative is that it can sometimes be a tiny bit drying, but thats my only downside.

on 5/15/2015 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I admit that I bought into the hype and only bought Clinique's Almost Lipstick in Black Honey because of its "icon" status. This was one of the first lipsticks I bought and found it to be a great introduction to lipstick. Honestly, it does feel more like a tinted lip balm and doesn't last very long, but the sheer berry colour and moisturising feel is great to use everyday.

on 4/24/2015 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Fabulous colour VERY flattering to almost anyone - extremely wearable day time or night out. Looks dark however it is not so when it is on - it accentuates your natural colour. I highly recommend. There is only one downside and this is true of most lip products - it contains petroleum.

on 4/16/2015 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I use this like a lip balm. It's comfortable to wear and I like the sheer colour. If it were slightly more pink than brown, I would reach for it more during the daytime because it would be more flattering for my light complexion!

UPDATE: Upgraded from 4 to 5 stars - I find myself reaching for this a lot!

on 4/10/2015 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a very easy color. I treat it almost like lip balm. It is a bit too waxy for my liking. And it is a bit drying to me. the color is excellent though.

on 3/24/2015 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Years ago (like, back in the 80's), Clinique had a whole line of "Almost Lipsticks" in a variety of shades. They were all replaced with "newer/better" formulations over the years EXCEPT for Black Honey. This one has hung on for so long (and even spawned its own "black honey" line of products) because it's so great, versatile, pretty much universally flattering, easy to wear and feels great on the lips. I'll probably always have one of these in my collection, whether from a GWP or one I've purchased for full price.

on 3/23/2015 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

What can I say about Clinique Black Honey that hasn't been said before? :) I can tell you that regardless of how many lipsticks are in my stash, I always go back to it! It's a lovely reddish, brownish, berry shade, that's famous for looking good on (almost) everyone. However, it also feels better than any other lipstick in my collection. No matter how long I have it on, it doesn't dry out my lips. It's light, glossy, and moisturizing, without being thick or sticky. It feels like a really nice lip balm. Definitely give it a try, especially if you're a sucker for "iconic" products, like I am! :D

Recommended for Medium Skin