December 19, 2014 | 1538 users online

Lip Treatments - By Terry - Baume de Rose

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2014 10:23:00 AM More reviews by KateO999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Like many others, I heard amazing things about this product. I fell in love with the beautiful jar and found the rose smell a bit old fashioned, but not cloying to the point of dislike. There is a charming old world quality to it. First few times I used this product the results were lovely, especially how the faintest rose tint made my lips look both demure and modern at the same time. I even bought a jar for my sister-in-law as a gift.

Problems started however about a week into using it all the time. My lips started to feel painfully dry, much worse than when I first used the product. Actually before this product, I never felt my lips felt "old" but after a short period of use I did. Perhaps it works differently on some people than on me. Overall I would not recommend it except very occasional use. For my lips it did not work at all.

There is a much better lip treatment out there by Amore Pacific that I will start using instead.

Bottom line a very expensive product that worked against its intended purpose.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2014 12:13:00 AM More reviews by lucybird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received a sample of this from beauty.com. I was excited to try it after reading of its cult-like following. It doesn't feel very moisturizing to me. It is not very pleasant to use IMO. It doesn't glide on easily. I do not find it soothing. It smells an awful lot like the decorative soaps my mom had (& made me dust because they were just for looks) when I was a child. This is not a good thing for me. I just think "dusty soap" every time I put it on.

I do keep it on my vanity and sometimes put it on top of lipsticks for extra shine. It's handy when I can't find one of the dozen other lip balms I have at any given time.

But I would not buy it. It's ridiculously expensive and not my cup of tea.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2014 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

I got a generous sample size pot of this, so thank goodness I didn't spend $60 on it, because I almost did, and definitely would have returned it. First, it smells horrible. I'm not sure what I expected, but it also makes my coffee or food taste awful. It is also alarmingly drying. My lips feel fine while it is on, but over the course of a few days, it made the area around my mouth peel.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2014 10:02:00 PM More reviews by hollyannie2001

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Agree with those who find this overrated.

Purchased this in the anniversary packaging. There is no doubt it makes lips look lovely; the sheen is really something special, and the lips look full and young -- airbrushed, like you see in magazines.

The problem for me is the texture and the application, and the lack of benefits beyond how it looks while it's on. It's pretty dry overall and it takes work to get it onto the lips evenly. And, it doesn't leave lips feeling moisturized unless you use a lot and repeatedly throughout the day (and sometimes even then it doesn't leave my lips feeling moisturized). Overall, I feel duped by the hype on this one. It costs A LOT FOR A LIP BALM.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by BarbiieXoX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I never thought I'd actually buy this.
My lips are usually very beaten and tattered but I have bigger things to worry about.
The closest I get to lip balms are Dior Lip Glow/Chanel Rouge Coco Shine.

I bought this because the anniversary packaging looked good and because of the rose smell. If I'm going to the trouble of using a balm I might as well use this. I didn't have high expectations and didn't really care if it worked magic.

So I started using it, loved the smell and the whole motion of going into this lovely pot.
But my lips peeled. It felt like it was sitting on top of my lips instead of absorbing. Even after applying it at night, the tiniest bit, it would still be sticky on my lips in the morning.

After a few days however, I have the most plumped up baby lips ever, like I've done a lip scrub and applied a plumping serum. I've only ever seen my lips look like this once when I had been drinking litres of water.
This is not a quick fix product. I wouldn't be surprised to find better balms. But this is the only balm I own and have bought in the past decade. I wont be looking for another one, this does the job for me and the packaging is lovely. A little goes a long way so it would potentially last forever, however it expires in 12months so use it up!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2014 6:49:00 PM More reviews by scarattina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you have ever wanted the look/feel of dewy perfect lips you may want this. If you have a man in your life you may need this :). This instantly filled out my lips and has them looking maybe 10% fuller. There is no color but there is a silver sheen that really enhances your lips. If you have darker/reddish lips you will not see the pink color you see in the Blog Review pictures, maybe obvious...but they will still look a bit rosier and have a slight lighted "aura," not bright silver or so pale it will wash you out. The color truly works with your natural tones. I am naturally tawny shade of red and this actually turns slightly mauve on me. I would recommend this to anyone who is on the fence. Why waste money on lipsticks and glosses when you haven't taken care of your lips first? Plus the fragrance is romantic and mood enhacing, very elegant. Like I said, if you have a man, you might need this!!!

EDIT:
After consistent use I realized this stuff was actually drying my lips out rather than moisturizing them. Started getting a weird firm outer lip skin feeling like my lips were a dry barrier. I believe this stuff has humectants in it which actually draw moisture out of your lips, giving you too-good-to-be-true instant moisture at first, then eventually dry you out as it continues to pull moisture out from your skin. If you live in a high humidity area like Florida it could work, just not for me. Keep in mind even Lansinoh Lanolin will do this too as it is pure humectant (what I bought to try and fix my lips after baume de rose). Occlusives are best. Actually Vaseline Cocoa Butter for lips healed my lips for the first time in maybe a YEAR. Crazy!! Never thought the cheapest thing was the best all along. The Vaseline was how I wanted this to be, and now they even carry rose fragrant lip treatment. If you want perfect lips, try the Vaseline (first pick) or the ELF Lip Exfoliator (works like a very expensive prep, my second choice). My lips are now satin, dewy, and no longer dependent on product-never thought I'd say that again! Anyway, very disappointed by this! Don't buy!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/30/2014 1:47:00 PM More reviews by mink

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Gorgeous packaging but otherwise overrated. Given the high price, I was hoping this would be the ultimate balm for chapped winter lips, but I found that it mostly just sat on top of my lips and I did not see any improvement in condition. Also, while the pot is beautiful, it's not the most hygienic. Will not be repurchasing this product.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by 39Dena

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Such a beautiful balm. I apply it during the day. Very hydrating. I know it's expensive but I love it. I'll have to purchased the gloss one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2014 7:50:00 PM More reviews by cyndiinphilly

This is my HG balm. It hydrates beautifully. I only need a small amount and it doesn't need to be reapplied as often as many others. The price is high, but since I've stopped looking for others and wasting my money, I'm ok with it. I would love if it didn't come in a jar, but the wand packing on this product doesn't feel the same or give as my hydration

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2014 11:31:00 PM More reviews by GwenNYC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm in love with this lip balm. I alternate between this and La Mer, and this lip balm is seriously worth every penny. If you're like me and loathe stick lip balms (like fresh brand), and prefer a much more hydrating product, this is for you. The texture is very soft, and melts into the lips providing serious hydration. The lovely pink hue naturally enhances the lips and adds shine. The frosted glass jar is beautiful, and reflects the quality of the product. I always have a backup handy.