October 21, 2014 | 1826 users online

Scrubs - St. Ives - Apricot Scrub Blemish and Blackhead Control

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 10/9/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by lisaxlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This used to be a Holy Grail product for me back in high school. I stopped using it for a long time and picked some up a few months back so I can start using it again. I don't know if it's been reformulated or something, but it made me break out really bad! In places I never had acne (side burn are, temples, and sides of my forehead). It's very harsh now. I'm going to try it for my feet. That will be it's only good use if it works out. I'm so glad I found a new HG worthy scrub!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2014 1:24:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Scatchy and mechanical as all-heck - not a holy grail but OK for feet and body. Not for sensitive faces - that's for sure. Way too harsh.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2014 12:48:00 PM More reviews by rach29

Great exfoliator. I use this every other day and it helps keep my skin under control. I still need to use a clay mask once every other month to get rid of some blackheads.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2014 11:46:00 PM More reviews by angelajj74

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a true classic! I have tried a lot of different scrubs but I always seem to come back to this facial scrub. I remember using this when I was a teenager and still to this day I LOVE it. Makes my skin so soft and clean and the smell is wonderful and refreshing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2014 5:03:00 PM More reviews by beverlywho

I love, love, love this as an every-other-day post-cleansing scrub. It's not abrasive, smells yummy, and leaves my skin feeling baby smooth. It's great for keeping my acne at bay and for gently exfoliating. And for the quality, the price is hard to beat.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 7:47:00 PM More reviews by mandyomnom

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Skin: Oily-combination (My forehead is dry in the morning and then its oily as the day goes on.)
Colour: N/A

Overview: An exfoliator with salicylic acid to help take away blackheads and blemishes.

Packaging: I have the newer package (the second picture at the top of the page). It is kind of appealing since it is bright, white and sleek looking. It is a squeeze tube, so it makes it really easy to take the product out.

Scent: Smells like a very floral apricot. Yup.

Texture: Creamy, with the exfoliating particles in it. All in all, gritty, just like all exfoliators.

On Skin: It is a little rough, so if little pressure is applied, it will feel just fine. It really feels like your dead skin cells are being taken away, as the little particles spread evenly around your face, as some exfoliators feel like the particles are scrubbing evenly (parts of your face has more particles than the other)

Additional: My skin felt super soft after, and after rinsing, I did see some of my scabs softened and fell off gently without irritating the new skin underneath. I have been using this for a few months, and I cannot see any benefits under the "blackhead and blemish" control claim. It did not break me out, and was overall pretty good for its price.

Thank you for reading my review! Please tell me what I can add to make it better; it would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day :D

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2014 6:21:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For the price, this is an excellent scrub. I'm not sure about its blemish-reducing properties as I use a separate salicylic correcting lotion too, but it's the best budget range scrub I've used so far. The particles are not scratchy so there's no damage to the skin and it doesn't irritate my skin which can be sensitive to certain ingredients. A definite repeat-purchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2014 12:03:00 AM More reviews by LoveSavv

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this product works very well with my skin, I have oily skin with lots of blackheads but not acne prone. I've been searching for years to find a product to fight my blackheads and I must say this is it. It did not completly get rid of them but it's only been a week I've been using it every night before bed. I do not use it for blemishes tho so I can't say for that. But I saw a dramatic difference in the blackheads on my nose and chin.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2014 6:04:00 AM More reviews by suez777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The reason "apricot" scrubs feel quite harsh and scratchy is that they are made using the dried out kernel of the apricot, which is then ground up and added to some sort of cream base.
They feel harsh and scratchy because that is exactly what they're doing - when you use them, you're inflicting microscopic tears and scratches all over your skin. And quite possibly the "glow" afterwards is caused by your body pumping extra blood to the area to deal with the resulting inflammation.
Yes they're cheap, but there are plenty of other cheap options that use polyurethane (ie: plastic) beads that are round with no irregular and sharp edges that can tear and scratch the skin.
PS: this problem is not just confined to apricot scrubs. There are many (usually the ones marketed as 'natural' that contain dried and ground up fruit kernels, pits (olives, cherries) and the shells from nuts (walnuts, etc).
In this case plastic - fantastic is probably the better way to go.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2014 5:06:00 AM More reviews by AllyDean

I read about this product as the cheaper alternative to La Prairie Essential Exfoliator which I usually pay Aus$70. I paid a little over Aus$10 for the St Ives so definitely cheaper, but the positives end here.

There is a massive concentration of beads in the product which makes my skin irritated and feeling raw after use - like rubbing sand on my face. There is very little cream in the bead to cream ratio so there is very limited amount of scrub time before your face begins feeling irritated. It may be due to the short scrub time, but I don't feel that my skin has been exfoliated properly - I can still feel bumps as I run my fingers over my skin. On top of that, the packaging states that you should use this product 3-4 times a week (may be different internationally)!

Did not like the product at all and glad that it's cheap enough to dismiss! But will most likely use it as a body exfoliator so I don't waste it. There is literally no comparison with the La Prairie - much gentler on the skin as there is more cream than beads and exfoliates better as well.